Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 36,061)

Showing posts 721,201 - 721,220 of1,071,588
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
many power companies are no longer in the generation business...they just buy power from others and pass on the cost to their customers....
although our power company is PPL, my power supplier is Dominion Energy....their rate is lower than the PPL rate....
Yeah VEPCO buys from them too. They have nuke plants that's why.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

dem wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice the fist/knife/gun fighter has chosen a new tactic, the always intimidating game of passive aggressive pussscccee.
Great work, gramps.
You sound a little surprised, I would have thought, by now, you'd be used to innuendos.
Jonathan Hemlock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

leadership has little to do with impressing pundits and scoring well at Washington parlor games. The current occupant of the Oval Office had a finely drafted political resume, stuffed with empty “achievements” that qualified him to do nothing except demand money and power. The horrifying inadequacy of such hollow men is on display off the coast of Louisiana. Good thing we didn’t get saddled with a president who isn’t entirely occupied with “transforming” an unwilling populace, or a vice president who actually knows something about oil drilling!
Federal and state governments are riddled with people like Barack Obama, producing a system completely focused on feeding itself, and too bloated to take effective action. It is almost completely insulated from consequence. Its wits are dulled by its perceived lack of budgetary or behavioral restrictions. Its deconstruction will require the conviction and charisma of Sarah Palin, the brilliance of Bobby Jindal, the courage of New Jersey governor Chris Christie, and the enthusiasm of the primary winners from Tuesday night. The American people should no longer settle for representatives whose resumes contain nothing but political accomplishments – as if those are somehow worth a damn compared to private-sector experience. It took a lot of accomplished politicians to engineer a government with over a hundred trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities.
Jonathan Hemlock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Transforming a population is relatively easy – government policies in America have been doing it for decades, to the ruin of their subjects. Transforming the State is a far more difficult proposition. The victors in the November elections will win front-line positions in the greatest economic, cultural, and political struggle of our lifetimes. Their challenge will be to reintroduce concepts like due process, Constitutional restraint, and fiscal responsibility to a public grown accustomed to suspending all of those things, during a never-ending string of “emergencies.” They’ll have to explain why “freedom” is not a careful bargain with unlimited state power, and why markets are not “free” when the State has the power to revoke anyone’s presence in them, whenever it sees fit. They will be tasked with teaching an increasingly dependent population that no society can survive for long by devouring itself. There will be no room on the front lines for tired old men whose primary concern is negotiating a good price for their surrender.
Obamasharpton

Howell, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know if Dineesh masturbates or not? He also dated Laura Ingrahm
Lyin' lily still getting it off on her sexual fantasies

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently you only know business that require employees with no training, no skills, no push.
Look, Oh great & wonderful stay-at-home businessman, I've run a few companies & plants & I offered all the benefits - full paid healthcare, vacations, sick says , life insurance and a good living wage. And over the many years, I only had one employee leave to work elsewhere.
I wasn't the highest paying shop in town but everyone wanted to work with me.
I had super employees that did a great job & we all made lots of money.
But hey, you go ahead & hire part timers at minimum wage & see what you get.
My God, you people act like you know something about running a business? Please, you obviously don't know sh*t.
That's your right as the owner. I notice all of those were past tense. Ran out of money did we?
Razors Edge

Palos Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

IL GOP offers to host 'Meet Mike Madigan' sessions with Democratic candidates in their districts
10/18/2012

Illinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady is offering to host “Meet Mike Madigan” sessions with voters for any Illinois Democratic candidates - if the candidate will appear publicly with Illinois House Speaker/Illinois Democratic Party Chairman/Father of the Illinois Attorney General Mike Madigan in their local district.

“If Democratic candidates take Mike Madigan’s campaign money, the least they can do is offer voters in their community an opportunity to meet with Mike Madigan,” said Brady.“With a 16% public approval rating, I’m sure voters have lots of things they’d like to ask – or tell - Mike Madigan – if they had the chance.”

“Mike Madigan’s name is not on the ballot in most of the state, but the names of his enablers – his fellow Illinois Democrats who elect him Speaker and State Party Chairman – are on the ballot,” said Brady.“A vote for any Illinois Democrat is a vote for Mike Madigan, so all Illinois voters should have the opportunity to meet Mike Madigan before they cast their vote.”

“For those residents unable to attend the ‘Meet Mike Madigan’ sessions, we’ll take a photograph of Madigan alongside their local Democratic candidate and mail it to them – as well as to the local news media - along with information about Mike Madigan’s record,” Brady said.

Brady said that he would cater the “Meet Mike Madigan” sessions with sandwiches from the nearest Jimmy John’s.

“I know Jimmy John’s corporate office is leaving Illinois because of the 67% tax hike that Mike Madigan helped pass, but they still make tasty sandwiches faster than you can say ‘walking conflict of interest’ or ‘Fire Madigan,’” Brady said.

ilgop.com

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently you only know business that require employees with no training, no skills, no push.
Look, Oh great & wonderful stay-at-home businessman, I've run a few companies & plants & I offered all the benefits - full paid healthcare, vacations, sick says , life insurance and a good living wage. And over the many years, I only had one employee leave to work elsewhere.
My God, you people act like you know something about running a business? Please, you obviously don't know sh*t.
The only 'job' I have right now is dad.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Oct. 18, 2012 If the Romney’s can’t win legally, they’ll take over Ohio’s electronic voting machines through investments, a direct conflict of interest in a contentious state in this election.

The new owners of Ohio’s voting machines under the brand name HART Intercivic is none other than Tagg Romney the son of one of the candidates Mitt Romney. In recent weeks Tagg has taken a more “active role in his father’s campaign management” but when you look further, he also has a major problem with that role.

By virtue of conflict of interest alone, this role should be investigated by the DOJ preferably involving the addition of the FBI, Homeland Security and the CIA to ensure this connection will not endanger the vote in Ohio and other states.

Read more: http://www.politicolnews.com/tagg-romney-inve...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
I just unplug the landline and don't answer. The print ads are pretty amazing, full color double sided 8x10's, doesn't come cheap to just go to the gargabe, what a waste of money.
I heard an Allen West ad on the radio yesterday; that he will save your medicare and his opponent voted to end medicare! His opponent, Patrick Murphy, has never even held office!
Did you get that movie about Pres. Obama in the mail? What a disgrace. This weekend is going to be brutal, they'll both be here in Boca Raton with a rally for the President at the Delray Tennis Center on Tuesday. I live about 4 miles from Lynn Univ.
The DVD is going into the Orlando zip codes, I won't get one. Romney and Ryan are in Daytona tonight at the band shell with a couple of country bands. It's Biketoberfest, there might be some tiddie flashing going on in the crowd LOL. Ann will be at the Susan Koman event in Orlando tomorrow, the pink bra thing. Grampy would love being here__tiddies everywhere you look.

I don't remember this much lying and bullshyte__it's even going on in the local races.

Have you seen Connie Macks mother's TV ad? Howdy Doodies twin sister.

Since: May 11

Greencastle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Where you been? We've been talking about that all day.

You are acting like the ACA has created this. Its bee there all along.
Jonathan Hemlock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

slaves without masters
Among the arguments most frequently employed by John
C. Calhoun, George Fitzhugh, and other apologists for slavery
was that northern workers, facing ever greater competition
in the labor markets, were, or soon would be, worse
off than those in bondage. Northern workers were “slaves
without masters,” Fitzhugh argued in his notorious book
by that title. They were oppressed by capitalists who, unlike
slaveholders, had no equity stake in the well-being of their
workers. The prospect of men who were supposed to be
“wage slaves” prospering instead as yeomen in Missouri,
Kansas and elsewhere in what was then “the West” thus
undermined the planter class’ view of itself and the world.
White settlers, meanwhile, viewed the prospect of having to
compete with African slaves and an expanding plantation
system led by decadent aristocrats with horror. Southern
“Slave Power,” declared Sen. Thomas Morris of Ohio, was
even worse than northern “Bank Power.” Morris vowed
to take on not only the banks but also the “goliath of all
monopolies,” the slave system.12 The result of this collision between slave power and the yeoman ideal was, to say the
least, a serious rewrite of the nation’s social contract—one
that involved far more than freeing the slaves, and that has
deepening relevance today as the modern wage system
comes under stress.

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

President Obama picked up the endorsement of several high-profile newspapers today, but this one is more likely to leave a mark on Mitt Romney as it comes from the Salt Lake City Tribune of Utah.

Too many Mitts
Obama has earned another term

In short, this is the Mitt Romney we knew, or thought we knew, as one of us.

Sadly, it is not the only Romney, as his campaign for the White House has made abundantly clear, first in his servile courtship of the tea party in order to win the nomination, and now as the party’s shape-shifting nominee. From his embrace of the party’s radical right wing, to subsequent portrayals of himself as a moderate champion of the middle class, Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign:“Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?”

The evidence suggests no clear answer, or at least one that would survive Romney’s next speech or sound bite. Politicians routinely tailor their words to suit an audience. Romney, though, is shameless, lavishing vastly diverse audiences with words, any words, they would trade their votes to hear.[...]The evidence suggests no clear answer, or at least one that would survive Romney’s next speech or sound bite. Politicians routinely tailor their words to suit an audience. Romney, though, is shameless, lavishing vastly diverse audiences with words, any words, they would trade their votes to hear.

More troubling, Romney has repeatedly refused to share specifics of his radical plan to simultaneously reduce the debt, get rid of Obamacare (or, as he now says, only part of it), make a voucher program of Medicare, slash taxes and spending, and thereby create millions of new jobs.

To claim, as Romney does, that he would offset his tax and spending cuts (except for billions more for the military) by doing away with tax deductions and exemptions, is utterly meaningless without identifying which and how many would get the ax. Absent those specifics, his promise of a balanced budget simply does not pencil out.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/55019844...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> The only 'job' I have right now is dad.
And band watcher___right?

Since: May 11

Greencastle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> That's your right as the owner. I notice all of those were past tense. Ran out of money did we?
Nope, run my own business currently & for ten years.

ny ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

The second endorsement comes from the Denver Post of Colorado, and while the Post’s endorsement is not as damning of Mitt Romney as the Salt Lake City Tribune’s, the editorial board did urge readers to vote for President Obama.....

And though there is much in Mitt Romney’s résumé to suggest he is a capable problem-solver, the Republican nominee has not presented himself as a leader who will bring his party closer to the center at a time when that is what this country needs.

His comments on the 47 percent of Americans who refuse to “take personal responsibility and care for their lives” were a telling insight into his views and a low point of the campaign.

Obama, on the other hand, has shown throughout his term that he is a steady leader who keeps the interests of a broad array of Americans in mind.

We urge Coloradans to re-elect him to a second term.

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_2180...
Jonathan Hemlock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

The passage of the Homestead Act in 1862 is a prime example
of how much the Civil War was about preservation of
the yeoman idea. Because of the political opposition from
slaveholders, Congress debated the Act but could not pass
it for more than a decade. But once the South was seceded
the Act’s promise of 160 acres of Western land to any citizen
was quickly realized. In practice, as we shall see, the
Homestead Act would not live up to its champion’s expectations,
but it was an important expression of the nation’s
commitment to, in the words of Sen. Samuel Pomeroy of
Kansas,“the hearts, the bones, the sinews, of an independent,
loyal, free yeomanry, who have the comforts of home,
the fear of a God, the love of mankind and the inspiration
of a good cause.”13
With the South out of the Union, Congress was also able to
pass the Morrill Act, It offered all Northern states land grants
of at least 90,000 acres, which they could sell to finance the
creation of so-called “land grant” colleges, as they came to
be known. These were originally agricultural and mechanical
schools, designed to further the independence of yeomen.
During the inaugural ceremonies for one of the first
land grant colleges—the institution that eventually became
the University of Illinois—its new president heaped praise
upon the leading champion of the bill, Jonathan Baldwin
Turner, for having “plowed and plunged and ricocheted
through these prairies with an energy and vehemence that
no bulwarks of ignorance or apathy could withstand, and
which brought nearly every farmer and artisan hurrying to
his standard from far and near, and put in motion the imperial
columns of our freeborn yeomanry.”14

ny ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

A third endorsement comes from the Tampa Bay Times, which weighs heavily on the president’s accomplishments in foreign policy, immigration, and social progress in stark contrast to Mitt Romney who, for most of the campaign, pretended to be “severely conservative.”........

Times recommends
Obama has earned second term

The differences on social issues are stark. With congressional Republicans forcing a stalemate on immigration, Obama took the initiative to let young undocumented immigrants of promise stay in this country legally if they are in school, high school graduates or serve in the military.

In contrast, Romney suggested a policy of “self-deportation” but now acknowledges 11 million illegal immigrants cannot be sent to their home countries. He says he would not revoke exemptions granted under Obama’s order but would not allow new ones. Any hope for broad immigration reform to keep and attract the best and the brightest regardless of their birthplace lies with the incumbent Democrat.
Jane Says

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
here in NYC part-timers hired at minimum wage usually have names like Tanisha, Shamika, Mo'Neaqua and LeoSnotta. There is a high absentee rate on Mondays because the baby daddies often beat them over the weekend.
Jonathan Hemlock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

A separate “Southern Homestead Act” passed in 1866 and
specifically designed to benefit African Americans, had no
chance of success. Like Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman’s
Special Field Order No. 15, with its promise of “forty acres of
tillable ground” to newly freed slaves, it fell victim to white
backlash and sectional compromise during Reconstruction
and was rescinded. Along with more and more of their
white counterparts in the South and elsewhere, black farmers
would be tenant farmers and sharecroppers, or slaves
without masters.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 721,201 - 721,220 of1,071,588
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

53 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,555
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min Frijoles 68,123
Abby 7-10 48 min Nigbama 11
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr PEllen 97,429
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Washington DC 45,436
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Cali Girl 2014 48,682
Amy 7-10 3 hr Julie 8
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••