Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
717,681 - 717,700 of 1,101,347 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#773573 Oct 16, 2012
It's national boss day!!!

Those with jobs thank those greedy jerks for having a one.

In all seriousness, thank your bosses.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#773574 Oct 16, 2012
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>it will be like the exodus we've had in NY where for every taxpayer who leaves the state because of taxes, 2 nonpaying leeches move here.
for every wealthy person who easily relocates to a tax friendly place, two entitlement seeking illegals will be grantd amnesty to ensure future Democratic voters dependent on government.
Your 1 room studio apartment must be getting pretty crowded.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#773577 Oct 16, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all about context, Homer, something that always trips up some of you.
This was said right after a rich man asked Jesus what he must do to be saved. Jesus was testing him to see where his treasure was. When the rich man proved he valued his treasure here on earth more than in heaven, Jesus used him as an example of how difficult it would be for those who put earthly wealth ahead of spiritual wealth as being "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" which, by the way, was a different term back then than what we think of today.
Bullcrap, the same applies today as it did 2,000 years ago. Quit defending the rich, I'm trying to eat my lunch.
Razors Edge

Oak Lawn, IL

#773579 Oct 16, 2012
dem wrote:
Hey gunner your guy has a 34% chance of winning the electoral vote.
Lucky you.
As they say in Chicago,The home of the POTUS

He got more excuses than a n***er going
to Jail!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#773580 Oct 16, 2012
Romney’s Bush 2.0 Foreign Policy and America’s International Reputation

Another story Bret Stephens tells his “wavering voter” is that U.S. favorability around the world will not decline under Romney:

No, America will not once again become the global pariah it supposedly was under George W. Bush if Mr. Romney is elected.

It’s possible that Romney won’t wreck U.S. favorability and relationships with other governments as badly as Bush did during his tenure, but that isn’t saying much. The early signs haven’t been promising. Between his taking gratuitous, ill-informed swipes at European allies and generally ignoring allied governments the rest of the time (except when he wants to use them as props for his campaign), it seems unlikely that there will be many foreign governments eager to work with a Romney administration. At the popular level, many Europeans reportedly have no idea who Romney is, and those that do know tend to dislike him.

A lot of this will ultimately depend on what a Romney administration does. If Romney starts any new wars, that would almost certainly damage relationships with many rising powers. Would Romney bring back torture, as some of his advisers have reportedly suggested? If so, that will strain relationships with allied governments, especially those that are coping with the legacy of Bush-era torture on their territory. European governments aren’t interested in a more antagonistic U.S.-Russian relationship, and an administration that is even more uncritically supportive of everything Israel does is bound to be more unpopular worldwide.

Someone might object that this doesn’t really matter, but this isn’t simply a matter of popularity. High U.S. unfavorability in the Bush era was largely a reaction to the substance of Bush’s policies and the manner in which he carried them out. If an administration has little interest in diplomatic engagement and has little use for multilateral cooperation, its relationships with other states will inevitably suffer. If it tends to dictate terms to other states, that arrogance breeds resentments and tensions that aren’t necessary. If an administration assumes that American and allied interests are identical, it will tend to commit the U.S. to positions that aren’t in America’s interest or drag allies into conflicts that have nothing to do with them. Many states are going to bristle if the U.S. defines its “leadership” role in an anachronistic way that doesn’t take account of the changed international political landscape, and Romney’s understanding of American “leadership” is rooted in just such an outdated view.

It isn’t written anywhere that a Republican administration has to behave this way, but it is how Romney has campaigned so far. He shows every sign that he thinks this is the sort of “leadership” that the world supposedly craves. If elected, he will be in for a very rude shock when he discovers that an added dollop of resolve doesn’t have the effect he expects. One can imagine a Republican administration that values diplomacy as an important tool, exercises restraint when responding to international crises, and tries to improve relations with traditionally difficult or antagonistic states, but it would be an administration with very different foreign policy views from the one Romney’s will almost certainly have. Indeed, it would be the opposite of the Bush “version 2.0&#8243; foreign policy that Romney favors.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
Obamasharpton

Lakewood, NJ

#773581 Oct 16, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
fred likes Romney.
ROMNEY is a Mormon.
Other Mormons arranged marriages to 12 year olds for their 50 year old male members deviant sxxxxxxx play?
FLDS.
do they pray to the same God on Uranus? Do they collect payment for the same fake Jesus? Is it just one big sxxxxxx cult for baby rapers?
You seem to be the Romney expert.
Why is Obama losing?
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#773583 Oct 16, 2012
I do not think Jesus would be looking to add an additional 2 trillion dollars to our military budget.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#773584 Oct 16, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
Dems: The party that defends John Edwards, Bill Clinton, Dominic Strauss-Kahn,......
Explains why they think women are just lady parts.
No one defended John Edwards; every Democrat, including myself that I knew felt he should have dropped out when his wife was diagnosed with cancer. Did he fool people? Yes, I used to like him myself, but to think that he thought he could run for President with that scandal looming in the background in addition to his wife knowing about it as well and still campaigned for him was ludicrous.
I think Dominic Strauss Kahn was a cad and a womanizer, but he may have been set up by Sarkozy; nevertheless the way the police handled that case was just pure showmanship and unnecessary.
Bill Clinton should have told the people that that was his personal life and that's it.$50 million wasted on that was ridiculous. But you rightwingers always waste the peoples money on stupid hearings. Everyone knew Bill Clinton was a cad, so what? Who did he hurt besides his wife and daughter?
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#773585 Oct 16, 2012
Romney is part of the problem and you people want to put him (the fox) in charge of guarding the henhouse.

Fine, you get what you deserve, just don't blame Homer.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#773586 Oct 16, 2012
This Is Why Conservatives Can't Have Nice Conservative Policies

Mitt Romney's story is a case study: Movement publications and think-tanks put electoral victories before principles.

The conservative movement's election-driven, rather than truth-driven, approach may well help Republicans get elected sometimes. But it also explains how, once in office, things turn out as they did during the Bush Administration. Of course Bush responded to electoral incentives to push something like Medicare Part D, rather than staying true to fiscal conservatism -- the conservative movement was so invested in his political success, and so uninterested in fiscally prudent governance, that everyone from Paul Ryan to hackish think-tank interns were ready to give cover for any budget-busting idea Karl Rove deemed a good idea. In the long run, the dearth of truth-driven conservative opinion-making during the Bush Administration did great harm to the movement.

It looks like history is repeating itself.

Read campaign coverage from right-leaning libertarians at Reason and elsewhere, and you'll see a commitment to conveying certain truths: that all politicians lie; that Romney is not a reliable fiscal conservative; that his policy promises, intended to compensate for his unreliability, don't add up; that even if you think he's better than Obama, vigilance and skepticism are essential. Watching Sean Hannity or reading movement conservative publications, the tenor of coverage is different. There are exceptions, but the overall takeaway is that Romney is a fundamentally honest man whose promises are so mathematically possible -- and that if elected, he'll appoint conservative judges and come through for fiscal conservatives by reining in the debt without touching the military or anyone's Medicare or raising taxes.

What's far more likely is that Romney would push through tax cuts, marginally decrease welfare spending on the poor, and leave the military alone; the national debt would keep rising; the deficit would remain alarmingly high; and nothing like the Ryan budget would pass. Three or seven years hence, conservatives would earnestly ask themselves, "How did this happen again?"

Well, what else could happen, given a conservative intelligentsia that spent the last months of the campaign persuading themselves, along with their audience, that Romney is a trustworthy man and reliable champion of fiscal responsibility? An unreality of that magnitude is bound to have costs. Movement conservative elites ought to explain how it all works to their audiences. Instead they seek to "balance" mainstream media coverage by biasing content in favor of Republican politicians. The agenda of fiscal and social conservatives isn't very popular with the electorate, which is why they're the ones that Republican politicians sell out once they're elected.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#773587 Oct 16, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
It's national boss day!!!
Those with jobs thank those greedy jerks for having a one.
In all seriousness, thank your bosses.
Ever watch that program, Hidden Bosses? They always come away with a newfound appreciation for their employees and are humbled by the experience.
LOL

Sparta, NJ

#773588 Oct 16, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on hillbilly chimp.
Say it!!!
ok ...

DANCE, CHIMP!

LOL
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#773589 Oct 16, 2012
Peppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day Lily. I know this is a hot button for you, but I see middle ground here. Clearly racism exists, I do not deny it and I do not condone it. Yet, we also have people applying racism to situations where it does not exist, a red herring so to speak. The argument goes both ways.
Either way I get your point. My point was that calling out Franklin Raines for mismanagement had absolutely nothing to do with race.
Thank you; I really don't know the details about Franklin Raines beyond that it seems to me from reading here and there, that there were plenty of hands in that pot from both sides of the aisle to create that quagmire.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#773590 Oct 16, 2012
Homer wrote:
Romney is part of the problem and you people want to put him (the fox) in charge of guarding the henhouse.
Fine, you get what you deserve, just don't blame Homer.
Agree, brilliant, helpful

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#773591 Oct 16, 2012
Romney claim to gain 12 million jobs?

Big Deal.

It will happen by just following current policies.

"In case you need a refresher: Assuming a very rough estimate of 1 million new jobs per 1% increase in economic growth, the Fed’s September forecast had the economy adding between 5.5 million and 6.8 million jobs in 2013 and 2014, with the pace quickening in the following years. Moody’s Analytics’ August forecast was slightly sunnier, but roughly in the same range. So Romney’s pledge to create 12 million jobs in four years is on the conservative end of the spectrum. More importantly, that predictive spectrum is based on current policy. In other words, Romney is pledging to preserve the economic status quo."

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/10/16/romneys-...

Why risk electing an unknown. Romney has been on both sides of every issue.

He has goals but no plan. He has no details.

His plan is to sit down with Congress - Boehner, Canter, McConnell - the same guys there under Bush that voted for all this mess to begin with.

Newville, PA

#773593 Oct 16, 2012
Homer wrote:
I do not think Jesus would be looking to add an additional 2 trillion dollars to our military budget.
Romney's 2 trillion dollar stimulus plan. unfunded.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#773595 Oct 16, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
He had security.
You're an idiot.
Blame the terrorists or go fk yourself domestic terrorist
Yeah…Two local security guards assign to protect Stevens gave up Stevens safe house to terrorist!! These security guards seem to have the same traits as Obama when under pressure willing to throw others under the bus to save their own skin!!

Newville, PA

#773596 Oct 16, 2012
FOX-Jewish media n WARS wrote:
Romney = wars = American kids dead
Romney - going to war himself -not good

Romney- sending his kids to war - not good

Romney - sending others to war - Yes Yes Yes
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#773600 Oct 16, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
Another liar!
When a woman has a baby: labeled with pre existing condition!
Right wingers: no insurance for you!
JUST DIE IN THE STREET.
that is after all the Republican way!
Medical bills number one cause of bankruptcy!
Lose your house!
Republicans: under our "leadership" we have turned USA hospitals into the number one bill collectors!
Hospitals: we have to employ lawyers instead of Dr.'s!
Thanks heartless right winger scum!
26,000 already born: just die!
<quoted text>
This doesn't address my post.
FOX-Jewish media n WARS

Chicago, IL

#773601 Oct 16, 2012
Romney + Israel = American kids dead

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 min edogxxx 97,949
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min Bill Braske 49,492
Abby 9-2 5 min edogxxx 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr the wandering girl 4,684
Crack and the Social, Moral, and Economic Decay... 3 hr joey 2
HKN Record Label Need UpComing Artist Call_0803... 4 hr mr innocent 1
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr andet1987 4,664
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr LRS 177,520
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000