"state department's former point man'?? Is that like another Faux News "unnamed source" attribution? "Cables show security requests in Libya focused on Tripoli<quoted text>
On Wednesday, the State Department's former point man on security in Libya told the House Oversight Committee that he asked for additional security help for the Benghazi facility months before the attack, but was denied.
Various communications dating back a year asked for three to five diplomatic security agents, according to testimony at Wednesday's hearing. But Eric Nordstrom, the one-time regional security officer, said he verbally asked for 12 agents."
By Eric Schmitt and Mark Landler
New York Times
Posted: 10/12/2012 09:21:05 PM PDT
Updated: 10/12/2012 09:21:06 PM PDT
WASHINGTON -- In the weeks leading up to the attack last month on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, diplomats on the ground sounded increasingly urgent alarms. In a stream of diplomatic cables, embassy security officers warned their superiors at the State Department of a worsening threat from Islamists, and requested that the teams of military personnel and State Department security guards who were already on duty be kept in service.
The requests were denied, but they were largely focused on extending the tours of security guards at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli -- not at the diplomatic compound in Benghazi, 400 miles away. And State Department officials testified this week during a hearing by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform that extending the tour of additional guards -- a 16-member military security team -- through mid-September would not have changed the bloody outcome because it was based in Tripoli, not Benghazi."
Shit in the Middle East is very, very volitile--doesn't need any more meddling by you cranky old geezers seeking political gain, rapidly sinking into senility, but white...