Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1232051 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Are You Kidding

Frankfort, KY

#771698 Oct 14, 2012
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I too would like to see a faster recovery, but then Rome wasn’t destroyed in a day and can’t be rebuilt in a day. The recovery is, of course, moving along in the right direction and has been since November 2009, less than a year after Obama took office: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000 .
Rather than ignoring it, I fully acknowledge your conviction that “things are going to get much, much worse when Obamacare kicks in” and “we're already witnessing the consequences now.” However, it is purely unsupported speculation, so I disagree with it especially in view of (1) the fact that the rate of unemployment has been decreasing now for three years and (2) my understanding of the Ryan/Romney budget, which is that it makes no sense because it is unsupported with actual numbers. If the Ryan/Romney budget made sense, I would certainly acknowledge it and proclaim both of them economic recovery superstars.
Obama is constantly reminding us that he inherited the “worst economy since the Great Depression.” But if that is true, history tells us our recovery should be that much stronger.

Yet since the recession ended in the summer of 2009, the U.S. economy has added only 2.6 million new jobs, according to the total civilian non-farm employment monthly survey, even though total employment is still 4 million below the end of 2007.

The seemingly improving unemployment rate, reported Friday at 7.8%, is creeping downward only because millions of Americans are leaving the workforce, too discouraged to look for jobs. The civilian participation rate of potential workers over 16 years of age is down to 63.6%, a level we haven’t seen for decades.

America knows what we can expect from four more years of President Obama. He’ll tell us how terrible Republicans are, but does not give us any reason to hope that things will change for the better.

We must ask, is this the best we can do? With President Obama’s commitment to big-government, big-regulation policies of the left, it is the best he can do. But Americans know we as a country we can do better.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#771699 Oct 14, 2012
glennm69 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you sit there and say that an unemployment rate that has been consistantly above 8%with the exception of the last report which reflects .2% less than 8% 3 years of constant improvement.
You need to go drink some more of that libtard Kool Aide. You are way out of touch with reality so you just might as well take the plunge and immerse yourself in your BS.
First of all, you assume I’m sitting.

Secondly, you assert that I said something that I did not say. What I do say is consistent with the facts presented at http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000 .

Thirdly, and most importantly — congratulations! Your name has earned dishonorable mention on my “do not reply” list of people who prefer, or have only the capacity, to post personal insults in lieu of engaging in reasonable discussion. You may continue to respond to me, but I’ll not respond to you, no matter how strongly you may appeal for me to do so. You may find it easier and just as rewarding just to rate my posts negatively.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#771700 Oct 14, 2012
G.O.P. Senate Hopes Fade, Even as Romney’s Rise, Polls Show

By NATE SILVER

Mitt Romney has had a pronounced change of fortunes since the first presidential debate in Denver. After trailing President Obama by 4 or 5 points in the polls on Oct. 1 — a position that very few candidates have come back from — he now holds ties or small leads in many national polls and has cut the advantage Mr. Obama had in swing states to a razor-thin margin.

There is little sign, however, that Mr. Romney’s rebound has translated into races for the Senate. Although Republicans have made modest gains in a few Senate races, the polls have been poor for them on the whole. Some races have already gotten away from them, while others are on the verge of being lost.

The FiveThirtyEight forecast model now gives Republicans just about a 16 percent chance of winning control of the Senate. This is a precipitous drop from just two months ago. On Aug. 19, the forecast put their odds at close to 62 percent.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#771701 Oct 14, 2012
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I too would like to see a faster recovery, but then Rome wasn’t destroyed in a day and can’t be rebuilt in a day. The recovery is, of course, moving along in the right direction and has been since November 2009, less than a year after Obama took office: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000 .
Rather than ignoring it, I fully acknowledge your conviction that “things are going to get much, much worse when Obamacare kicks in” and “we're already witnessing the consequences now.” However, it is purely unsupported speculation, so I disagree with it especially in view of (1) the fact that the rate of unemployment has been decreasing now for three years and (2) my understanding of the Ryan/Romney budget, which is that it makes no sense because it is unsupported with actual numbers. If the Ryan/Romney budget made sense, I would certainly acknowledge it and proclaim both of them economic recovery superstars.
"U.S. Annual Income Fell More During Recovery Than Recession: Study

Posted: 08/24/2012

“Based on our data, almost every group is worse off now than it was three years ago,” Gordon Green, co-author of the report, wrote in a press release."
Are You Kidding

Frankfort, KY

#771702 Oct 14, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
You're so stupid it's incredible
What is so stupid about the truth? Research it!!
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#771703 Oct 14, 2012
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Carol et al do not want to see a faster recovery, they do not want unemployment rates to go down. They are the anti American corporatists. They are under some illusion that Mitt will ride into the White House on Rafalka's back and wave his magic wand and all will be well in a day as long as Americans can't have health insurance. They're sick in the head.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#771704 Oct 14, 2012
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Thirdly, and most importantly — congratulations! Your name has earned dishonorable mention on my “do not reply” list of people who prefer, or have only the capacity, to post personal insults in lieu of engaging in reasonable discussion. You may continue to respond to me, but I’ll not respond to you, no matter how strongly you may appeal for me to do so. You may find it easier and just as rewarding just to rate my posts negatively.
That's the second time you've put him on that list. You have no credibility.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#771705 Oct 14, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Bush = 3000 civilians
Obama = 4 foreign consulate workers..I guess that means you're winning?
How can you take a guy seriously whose name is glenn and performs 69 with his pistol? I mean, seriously?
What a bunch of sickos.
Are You Kidding

Frankfort, KY

#771706 Oct 14, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
Republicans sure have a point about Benghazi - what kind of clueless incompetent lets Al Qaida attack Americans on Sept 11?
A quote by Maher??? Yes
Let me try to explain what is generally common sense. We have all types of warnings regarding the situation in Libya. Our Americans request additional security. We know exactly where our Americans are who need the security.

Under Bush, we are advised of terrorist threats involving planes. We have no idea when they plan to act or where. Where do we send security? Do we close all airports indefinitely? What do you do when you have no idea of where or when this attack MAY happen?

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#771707 Oct 14, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Carol et al do not want to see a faster recovery, they do not want unemployment rates to go down. They are the anti American corporatists. They are under some illusion that Mitt will ride into the White House on Rafalka's back and wave his magic wand and all will be well in a day as long as Americans can't have health insurance. They're sick in the head.
"U.S. Annual Income Fell More During Recovery Than Recession"

Someone needs to wave something. Obama ain't cutting it.
FIRE THE GOP

Lillington, NC

#771708 Oct 14, 2012
Answer: REPUBLICAN CONGRESS! AND GENERALS!

YOU dopes are so dumb!

Here is some MORMON FUN:

search: September 11, 1857

Hey Mitt! Release the family portraits: Gran pappy's and all those wives. Eeeeeeeeeeewwww!!!

I think Mitt Romney is so messed up because as a Mormon he is supposed to have as many wives and children as he can afford.

Mitt is filthy rich!

He should be king Mormon!

With 300 wives and over 1000 children!

Oh Mitty!! Only one wife and 5 kids!

Your Gran pappy's are so let down. Mitt a high priest bishop stake president!!!! CHURCH LEADER....TEMPLE MORMON!
God on Uranus is pissssssed! How you gonna be a Mormon God with an earthly performance like that Mitt!

Your spirit children are lacking bro!

I would be so pisssssed off if my Church I took a secret temple death oath to, changed the rules and denied me my church rights to spirit kids, just to appease the USA government? If he has all the power? Scary!

Now I know why Mitt Romney is such a lying, messed up filthy rich guy!!!

I solved it for ya! <--------- Genius!
And so it goes wrote:
Republicans sure have a point about Benghazi - what kind of clueless incompetent lets Al Qaida attack Americans on Sept 11?
A quote by Maher??? Yes
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#771709 Oct 14, 2012
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
"U.S. Annual Income Fell More During Recovery Than Recession: Study
Posted: 08/24/2012
“Based on our data, almost every group is worse off now than it was three years ago,” Gordon Green, co-author of the report, wrote in a press release."
"Who gives a flyin'fick? We're getting richer by the day!":
"Greed is Good"
Gordon (aka Mitt Romney) Gecko
O Baloney

West Babylon, NY

#771711 Oct 14, 2012
Celestial wrote:
How many Republicans does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer:...6......One to hold the bulb, & Five to turn the chair around & around
You just described your average Obama supporting union worker, and the reason factories have fled to China.
Are You Kidding

Frankfort, KY

#771712 Oct 14, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
You are back?
WTF do you know?
Here is some "advise" for you!
Tell your republican bosses to own up to borrowing 70% of the national debt.
70% of $16 TRILLION!
WOW!
Now all you blow hards do is cry about cutting vital programs to balance the budgets?
How about raising taxes on rich guys? You gave them all that gov loot since Reagan started it!
GIVE SOME BACK GREEDY AZZZZZHOLE REPUBLICANS!
<quoted text>
CNN's Jack Cafferty and CBS's Mark Knoller have noted that the US national debt in nominal dollars has increased more rapidly under President Obama than under any other U.S. president, and that it had increased by $4 trillion since the beginning of his term of office

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#771713 Oct 14, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck resisting soldiers wearing riot gear.
What soldiers?
Not American soldiers.
No problem.
130 million plus gun owners in America. After we're done with the so called soldiers, we go after those who sent them and those who supported them.

"Stuff's gettin better"
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#771714 Oct 14, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
So, why do you still think it is a question of "if" Benghazi needed more security?
The question is, "why was the US Ambassador to Libya" at the consulate at Benghazi on 9-11 with zero armed security? Nada, zippo, zilch!

Listen up mope__you keep asking questions but can't provide answers to the simple questions I'm asking.

Where was Andy Woods security detail?

Why were the two Seals said to be providing security killed by mortar and rocket fire at the annex which "is not" the consulate building.

What the fk difference does it make how much security is in place if it's in the wrong place???
Plugs O_Biden

Los Angeles, CA

#771715 Oct 14, 2012
kuda wrote:
This must be National Hate Vice President Biden Day.
Obviously everyone thought he did well at the debate.
I know I did, but then I respect him.
So do your fellow crack heads.
O Baloney

West Babylon, NY

#771716 Oct 14, 2012
DEMOCRATIC USA wrote:
<quoted text> If OBAMA WINS, America Earns 4 more years of respect, our president has done a brilliant job keeping this country safe, OBAMA weakened Al-queda and got rid of their main leader, an accomplishment bush couldn't do in 8 years, OBAMA deserves 4 more years as PRESIDENT of the US.
Keeping the country safe, except for Fort Hood and the massacre that would have happened in Times Square two years ago if a civilian hadn't noticed the car bomb in time. Obama was the one who wanted to host civilian trials of Gitmo detainees in downtown NYC, inviting additional attacks. Obama was the one whose administration leaked massive amounts of security detail to the New York Times and Hollywood. Obama should go back to writing fictional biographies and teaching, as in those who can't do, teach.
LOL

Sparta, NJ

#771717 Oct 14, 2012
If Da Bammy is re-elected, America deserves to fail. Go ahead, suckers, vote or failure, then sit back and wonder what the hell happened. LOL
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#771718 Oct 14, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Bush = 3000 civilians
Obama = 4 foreign consulate workers..I guess that means you're winning?
The stupidity of this comment is stunning. However, coming from you-not so much and expected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word (Dec '08) 50 min Red_Forman 5,238
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 55 min Red_Forman 5,989
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Ratloder 70,013
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Scrutiny 189,653
Another chilly, gloomy summer predicted for Chi... 2 hr Good riddance to ... 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 53,458
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 8 hr _Zoey_ 404
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]