Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Jimmy hoffa

Los Angeles, CA

#770546 Oct 13, 2012
Well, it's not a pyramid, but at least it's a monumental concrete structure and it was done well. I comfort myself by realizing that Ronald Reagan is buried in concrete.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#770547 Oct 13, 2012
"Palm Beach, Fla.(CBS TAMPA)– The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.
On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post."

Sorry blacks, Florida liberal teachers say you're the dumbest 'race' out there.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#770548 Oct 13, 2012
Billionaire William Koch is facing a lawsuit in federal court from a former top-level employee who claims the energy mogul lured him to a secluded property, where he was imprisoned and interrogated for a period of time, according to a report in Courthouse News.

Martensen alleges he was told by his superiors that he was transferred overseas to Asia so that the Koch company could avoid paying U.S. taxes on some $200,000,000 in profits.

Through his privately held companies -- Oxbow Carbon and Huron Carbon -- Bill Koch has given $3 million to the pro-Mitt Romney super PAC Restore Our Future. His more well-known brothers have given substantially more to the effort to elect the Republican presidential candidate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/13/will...
Stop The Hate

Crownsville, MD

#770549 Oct 13, 2012
Yes, shooting someone is different than just saying you're going to shoot someone, killl the kids and put the mangled bodies in a crate to ship back to Africa. It's like Pastor Bob says, "If blacks were supposed to be diurnal God wouldn't have let them out in the daytime."
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#770553 Oct 13, 2012
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
Googled it. Came up with Fox, Fox, Hot Air and Darden, first page.
Yahoo search shows Orlando Sentinel, HuffPo, Biz Journal, MSNBC, Herald Tribune.

Google search shows same results.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy...

You lied and never Googled it.
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
The director of Restaurant Opportunities Centers (ROC) United, Sarah Jayaraman, told Resnikoff she believed Darden “was using the Affordable Care Act as a mere pretext to cut back on labor costs.‘Maybe they want to portray that that’s the cause of the issue, but it really isn’t.” Indeed, as Resnikoff notes, a number of reports have detailed Darden’s history of labor abuses.
Restaurant Workers Target Unsavory Labor Practices at Darden
While restaurant owners scarf up profits, workers with the Restaurant Opportunities Center are biting back with a multi-city campaign against a company that represents the one-percent of the food service industry. They have launched protests as well as legal action against Darden, which runs Capital Grille, Olive Garden, Red Lobster and other prominent eateries.
According to the lawsuit, Capital Grille workers in Los Angeles, New York City, and Chicago were subjected to grueling work schedules and underpayment of wages, and sometimes were forced to work “off the clock” and denied overtime. Some tipped workers allegedly had their wages siphoned off to supplement the pay of non-tipped employees. There are also allegations of systematic racial discrimination—complaints that black workers were pushed out of the job and told they “didn’t meet Capital Grille standards.” In recent months, workers from other cities have also come forward with complaints about mistreatment.
Sounds like, healthcare aside, a shithole organization to work for.
Source: Labor publications, HuffPo, Gov sites listing suits, and Think Progress. Let me guess you got it from Think Progress.
Stop The Hate

Woodbridge, VA

#770555 Oct 13, 2012
Stop The Hate wrote:
Did you guys hear anything about a shot was fired through a window at Obama Campaign office?
If this is true, that is not right, even if the man is for abortion, and you think he is dummer than a bag of hammers, and not fit to be our President. this does not give anyone the right to do something like this. Hurting/killing a man, or another adult in that office, is just as bad as hurting or killing a baby by abortion. If you don't like Obama, just don't vote for him.
I AM A REPUBLICAN AND I APROVE THIS MESSAGE
TSM

Houston, TX

#770556 Oct 13, 2012
Oh nuts! I ate catshit out of the litterbox again! This sleepwalking HAS GOT TO STOP!
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#770557 Oct 13, 2012
yepperz wrote:
<quoted text>
Googled it. Came up with Fox, Fox, Hot Air and Darden, first page.
The director of Restaurant Opportunities Centers (ROC) United, Sarah Jayaraman, told Resnikoff she believed Darden “was using the Affordable Care Act as a mere pretext to cut back on labor costs.‘Maybe they want to portray that that’s the cause of the issue, but it really isn’t.” Indeed, as Resnikoff notes, a number of reports have detailed Darden’s history of labor abuses.
Restaurant Workers Target Unsavory Labor Practices at Darden
While restaurant owners scarf up profits, workers with the Restaurant Opportunities Center are biting back with a multi-city campaign against a company that represents the one-percent of the food service industry. They have launched protests as well as legal action against Darden, which runs Capital Grille, Olive Garden, Red Lobster and other prominent eateries.
According to the lawsuit, Capital Grille workers in Los Angeles, New York City, and Chicago were subjected to grueling work schedules and underpayment of wages, and sometimes were forced to work “off the clock” and denied overtime. Some tipped workers allegedly had their wages siphoned off to supplement the pay of non-tipped employees. There are also allegations of systematic racial discrimination—complaints that black workers were pushed out of the job and told they “didn’t meet Capital Grille standards.” In recent months, workers from other cities have also come forward with complaints about mistreatment.
Sounds like, healthcare aside, a shithole organization to work for.
They should work as slaves for the 1% to get richer. I hope they unionize. He pays them $2.13 an hour and they share tips with non wait staff, the customer is paying his staff.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#770558 Oct 13, 2012
Stop The Hate wrote:
Yes, shooting someone is different than just saying you're going to shoot someone, killl the kids and put the mangled bodies in a crate to ship back to Africa. It's like Pastor Bob says, "If blacks were supposed to be diurnal God wouldn't have let them out in the daytime."
Is that Pastor Bob from the Calvary Chapel? Did he really say that?
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#770560 Oct 13, 2012
Grampy wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than his backroom pledge of reimbursement of all campaign donations times 5 with government funds what other economic plans has Hussein Obama offered?
You keep responding to my post about the Ryan/Romney “budget” with diatribes about President Obama. You can win more converts with reason than with tangential thinking and insults.
carol

Miami, FL

#770561 Oct 13, 2012
... I remember I used to rub it sometimes and... something would happen.... but I can't for the life of me remember what it was?
Logic

United States

#770562 Oct 13, 2012
President Obama

Right Power!

Since: Nov 09

Beaver Island, MI

#770563 Oct 13, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>But but, you didn't seen to realize, it was sent to each State, to help 'create jobs'? Come on Ben,'If ain't nobody buyin''Why would you 'create jobs'?
So you agree with Ryan, stimulus money will create jobs at the state level but won't work on the national level? That is an amazing piece of logic. Must have come from Glenn Beck's chalkboard.
FIRE THE GOP

Lillington, NC

#770564 Oct 13, 2012
How do I judge super rich guys:

Carnegie: built public institutions to benefit all of society.

Romney?

Where is the Romney hospital for the public's benefit?

He keeps telling citizens to "go the ER for healthcare"

Really? For cancer treatments? The ER?

LIE MUCH ROMNEY!

Where is the Romney job center?
Where is the Romney library for kids?
Where is the Romney anything?

The guy is filthy rich.

Oh! He gives to the Mormons!! Charity?

They don't do any? They sure hoard a lot!
build $50 million dollar temples, private no one allowed. Schitttt they deny members entrance!

Mormons: own $100 billion in businesses? It has been reported!

Mormon hospital? No!
Mormon anything for the public benefit: no!
$100 billion dollars hoarded away?

Well Mitt Romney gave them a few million more. Isn't that great?

People search: Mitt Romney Serial Liar
carol wrote:
I know I'm wasting my time but gotta keep trying.
The Associated Press reports:
Two of the central promises of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law are unlikely to be fulfilled, Medicare's independent economic expert told Congress on Wednesday.
The landmark legislation probably won't hold costs down, and it won't let everybody keep their current health insurance if they like it, Chief Actuary Richard Foster told the House Budget Committee. His office is responsible for independent long-range cost estimates.
Now get this - if that's even possible...
Foster not only works for the Obama administration but is also the administration's principal authority on Medicare and Medicaid spending.~
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274...
Somebody PLEASE acknowledge you at least get this.
I'm begging you now.
No One Important

Bolingbrook, IL

#770566 Oct 13, 2012
Funny thing - while Obama/Biden keep yelling liar out there:

Tax Policy Center issued a revamped anaysis way back in August that says Romney's plan can be revenue neutral. Who is still touting a revoked analysis?

The TPC issued a statement in August "objecting" t Obama's use of their analysis.

Cutter admitted the "5 trillion" canard was false.

Princeton Professor objects to obama's false portrayal of his paper and it's conclusions.

AARP told Obama to stop using his name as an endorsement for Obamacare. Biden used it again.

Biden claimed he voted against 2 wars, and got caught lying when he voted for both wars.

Seems to me the Obama strategy of yelling "liar!" is backfiring. The only people I seeing being publically rebuked for misrepresenting facts are Obama and Biden.
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#770567 Oct 13, 2012
Stop The Hate wrote:
Did you guys hear anything about a shot was fired through a window at Obama Campaign office?
If this is true, that is not right, even if the man is for abortion, and you think he is dummer than a bag of hammers, and not fit to be our President. this does not give anyone the right to do something like this. Hurting/killing a man, or another adult in that office, is just as bad as hurting or killing a baby by abortion. If you don't like Obama, just don't vote for him.
This happened in 2009 in Denver and turned out to be a disgruntled Leftie. You presume to know things you do not know. Better to wait then look foolish.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#770569 Oct 13, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
Yahoo search shows Orlando Sentinel, HuffPo, Biz Journal, MSNBC, Herald Tribune.
Google search shows same results.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy...
You lied and never Googled it.
<quoted text>
Source: Labor publications, HuffPo, Gov sites listing suits, and Think Progress. Let me guess you got it from Think Progress.
So?

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#770571 Oct 13, 2012
carol wrote:
Sorry, posted wrong website.
Obama's principal authority on Medicare and Medicaid spending, Richard Foster's, warning to Congress about Obamacare as reported by the Associated Press.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/medicare-...
As usual, the Republican claim begins with a real fact. The Affordable Care Act really does reduce Medicare spending by more than $700 billion over the next ten years. And while some of those cuts represent efforts to reduce overpayments to private insurers in the Medicare Advantage program, some of those cuts represent reductions in what hospitals will make for taking care of Medicare patients.

An independent analysis of the Affordable Care Act suggested that some hospitals might not be able to adapt these reductions—and that, as a result, 15 percent would become unprofitable. If that happens, they might stop seeing as many Medicare patients, forcing seniors to wait longer for care. Or Congress might decide to ease up on the cuts, cause the law's total cost to rise.

The analysis comes from Richard Foster, Medicare’s chief actuary. He is smart and honest, so you should take what he says seriously. But plenty of smart and honest analysts take a different view.

They point out that the Affordable Care Act doesn’t simply make crude, across-the-board payment reductions—as, say, the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 did. Instead, Obamacare also introduces incentives designed to reward efficiency. In addition, the Affordable Care Act’s expansion of coverage—remember, it will mean 30 million additional Americans have insurance—should reduce the number of uninsured people showing up at the emergency room, easing the charity care burden on hospitals.

Keep in mind that the hospital industry endorsed the Affordable Care Act. If it had thought the cuts were too steep, rest assured, it would have howled. And the hospitals may already be adapting, if early indications are correct.

To be clear, Foster could be right that hospitals will struggle. But would 15 percent of hospitals losing money be a disaster? In most industries, it wouldn’t be.(If there’s a line of business where 85 percent of companies break even or make a profit, year after year, please let me know. I’d like to invest.)

Health care isn’t just any other business and Foster, quite appropriately, worries that these providers might reduce services in ways that affect beneficiaries adversely. But some hospitals probably should become unprofitable, because they offer redundant services that drive up the cost of care. And conservatives should know this as well as anybody, because their entire theory of Medicare reform is that cutthroat competition among providers will produce a more efficient health care system. In cutthroat competition, there are always losers.

Which leads us to the real problem with conservatives making this argument. Let’s suppose Foster is right that 15 percent of providers will start losing money and that, as a result, seniors will have more trouble getting care. The same thing would happen under the conservative plans, because they cut just as much money, if not more, from Medicare.

Just so you don't think I'm making up this stuff, here’s Len Nichols, a well-known health economist and director for George Mason University’s Center for Health Policy Research and Ethics:

http://chhs.gmu.edu/faculty-and-staff/nichols...

Rick Foster’s non-partisan analysis was that 15% of hospitals could not withstand the spending reduction targets of the ACA as they go into effect in 2018 and beyond. It then follows, as the night the day, that they, and probably more hospitals, could not withstand the significantly tighter expenditure controls of the Ryan Budget.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/106299/medicare...
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#770575 Oct 13, 2012
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep responding to my post about the Ryan/Romney “budget” with diatribes about President Obama. You can win more converts with reason than with tangential thinking and insults.
No one is converting anyone here. This is a high info group of people. Besides anyone who comes here and sees dem and/or lions stupid commentary littering the board, quickly leaves for another message board far away from Topix.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#770576 Oct 13, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the all the numbers don't add up nice and tidy-like with the Romney/Ryan plan, the formula still is a winner:
Compare this...
More incentives to hire; more people working, more people paying taxes; closing loophole so wealthy pay more; cutting back size of federal government in lieu of states' rights; and cutting spending unless absolutely necessary.
To this, the alternative...
A second Obama term would guarantee the president’s health care law will be fully implemented, and businesses are warning that may affect their employees.
Darden Restaurants, which owns more than 2000 restaurants and employs 180,000 people is the latest industry to look for a way to avoid ObamaCare.
White Castle, McDonald’s and Denny’s have said they are looking for a way to avoid the new employer mandate due to take effect in 2014.
Westgate Resorts CEO David Siegel who employs 7000 people has warned if Obama wins, there will likely be layoffs.
Employment law attorney, Robert B. Fitzpatrick, made a prediction if Obama wins re-election:“...You're just playing with the numbers and playing with the hours to try to avoid compliance with providing health care to employees...and there are going to be consequences.”
..."and there will be consequences..."
In fact, we are seeing the consequences even before 2014.
The choice couldn't be more clear.
Math is formal logic. Formulas have specific values.

I respect that you prefer Romney to Obama, but not with your unsupported arguments in support of your preference. Citing corporations and people who share your preference also adds no weight to your preference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min jacques Ottawa 179,353
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 20 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,657
Abby 10-23-14 59 min pde 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 70,087
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Stina2 98,502
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Concerned_American 352
Hoffa tells Chicago Teamsters they play pivotal... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago