Chicago's Blue Line to receive improv...

Chicago's Blue Line to receive improvement money

There are 156 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 20, 2009, titled Chicago's Blue Line to receive improvement money. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley plan to announce federal economic stimulus money that will be spent to update the Chicago Transit Authority 's Blue Line trains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Ted

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 20, 2009
$7 Billion to bring it into working order. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!
GEM

Chicago, IL

#2 Apr 20, 2009
Can they use some of that 88 million to remove the urine stench from all the Blue line cars?
Jimmy J

Germany

#3 Apr 20, 2009
Woo-hoo! Our politicians grab $88 Million from the Federali Gang's take!
Truth be told

United States

#4 Apr 20, 2009
$7bn??? You could almost rebuild the CTA from scratch on that budget.
Nick

Mundelein, IL

#5 Apr 20, 2009
88 million for a fricking train..

Thats like giving someone 100 bucks for a pop and telling them to keep the change.

Meanwhile in other news, Chicago residents are filling pot holes out of pocket.
Mike

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 20, 2009
Slow zone project? Isn't that already going on? Wasn't that actually supposed to be over last winter?
Christopher

Chicago, IL

#7 Apr 20, 2009
I really admire the constant proofreading errors in these Tribune articles. The "breaking news" section is even worse. Are these the same professional writers we might lose if these news outlets were to go under?

Seriously, how can you make a mistake at the very end of an article. W - T - F
Joe

Cicero, IL

#8 Apr 20, 2009
Truth be told wrote:
$7bn??? You could almost rebuild the CTA from scratch on that budget.
You're not up on current prices, are you?

Corky Thatcher

Concord, CA

#9 Apr 20, 2009
I'd rather have $88M go towards more horses and buggies.
SMH

Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 20, 2009
I'm confused. Shouldn't stimulus money be used to create new jobs? The CTA has been working on the Blue Line's slow spots for at least two years. Sounds to me like money to pay for the work will now come from federal taxpayer funds instead of the CTA budget. Where's the stimulus?
J-Chi

Woodridge, IL

#11 Apr 20, 2009
How many jobs is this going to create? Wasn't that the purpose of the stimulus? Not to just spend spend spend....
da truth

AOL

#12 Apr 20, 2009
Thank you for the money Mr. President. I knew you would take care of us Chicagoans and the people from the west suburbs. It's good to have a friend of the city in the Oval office. 2016 is looking better and better for the Olympic games to come here.
Josh

United States

#13 Apr 20, 2009
Nick wrote:
88 million for a fricking train..
Thats like giving someone 100 bucks for a pop and telling them to keep the change.
Meanwhile in other news, Chicago residents are filling pot holes out of pocket.
Actually, the government will be paying a heck of lot more billions more - on Illinois road programs - in spite the fact mass transit is clearly the more cost effective option.

“Thank you, come again!”

Since: Dec 07

Chi Town

#15 Apr 20, 2009
Haven't they already significantly reduced slow zones on the blue line? Haven't slow zones on the red line significantly increased? The south side section of the red line continues to be neglected I see....
Pete

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 20, 2009
Now that Obama has given mayors all across the country more funds from the Porkulus bill, fiscal responsibility won't be necessary. Bring on the cost overruns!
Brian

Long Island City, NY

#17 Apr 20, 2009
J-Chi wrote:
How many jobs is this going to create? Wasn't that the purpose of the stimulus? Not to just spend spend spend....
It's clear that you don't understand how this works at all. The government gives the city the money to make the CTA improvements. The city hires contractors to actually do the work. The contractors pay the workers they need to do the work. Therefore, more jobs are created.
Joe

Cicero, IL

#18 Apr 20, 2009
Romey Rome wrote:
Haven't they already significantly reduced slow zones on the blue line? Haven't slow zones on the red line significantly increased? The south side section of the red line continues to be neglected I see....
These had to be "shovel ready" projects that could be started immediately to get the stimulus money. And the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line has had substantial work done over the past two or three years, whatever else might need doing there.
Anne L

Lincolnshire, IL

#19 Apr 20, 2009
Where is the accountability for the money they are being given? Did they ask specifically for 88 million dollars and provide a detailed accounting of where it is all going to go?
Also, how can the CTA be given 240 million and then say they really need 7 billion??? That's quite a difference. What are they going to do with the 240 million? That is not chump change and it they really use it for repairs and new equipment instead of lining politicians and union officials pockets they might be able to get some repairs done. 7 billion is ridiculous.
Starstream880

Bristol, NH

#20 Apr 20, 2009
Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the government will be paying a heck of lot more billions more - on Illinois road programs - in spite the fact mass transit is clearly the more cost effective option.
Cost effective indeed. The Village of Schaumberg will no doubt be most enthusiastic about extending the O'Hare branch of the Douglas out to The Streets of Woodfield. This I want to see.
Mike D

Carteret, NJ

#21 Apr 20, 2009
I would feel more comfortable giving this money to a family from Iowa to play 3 card monty on their way to Wrigley than to give it to the CTA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Yeah 1,509,131
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 239,551
Obama has LEAK under sink. 1 hr TroyTheRealPlumber 39
Graduation in Detroit. 1 hr Beyond Stoooopid 3
The Scoop on Weiner. 1 hr Weiners A weiner 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael Madigan as ? 1 hr HANG MADIGAN 3
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 8,068

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages