Alleged Drunk Driver Kills Champaign Pedestrian

Jan 23, 2010 Full story: WICD 63

Deputies say 31 year old Amanda Ennis of Champaign was driving east on Kirby Avenue just after 10 when she struck a woman near the intersection of park haven drive.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LISA

Highland Park, IL

#1 Jan 25, 2010
The case regarding Susan Costello’s incident, died January 22, 2010 by an under the influence driven (Amanda Ennis) is not being handled appropriately. Susan Costello was walking in a crosswalk and was hit by a driver that was under the influence of both, alcohol and drugs. The driver was released on ONLY a $50,000 bond, she was released the next day after committing this crime. She is currently using a public defender, which us taxpayers have to pay for, why is this? We as the community are supporting/defending an under the influence driver that admitted to being under the influence of alcohol while taking prescription medications with cannibas, when she hit an innocent victim. What type of democracy allows the accused to have any of the satisfactions as this woman is getting. I believe this case will be handled in favor of the defendant as if she were the victim. I hope this email will help us as a community, so this case will be handled fairly as any should in the United States Court System.
dale b

Champaign, IL

#2 Jan 25, 2010
really lisa. Do you know all the details? The media has a was to misconstrude the facts. Did they report that she was convicted of a dui or what her bac level was...um no. So as it stands we dont know that she was intoxicated.. She only ammitted to drinking. How many times have you been out and had a drink or two and then drove home or some place? I understand if the driver had not amitted to drinking it would have been written off as an accident end of story. Which in reality it is an unfortunate accident. You can have ammitted to having one drink and they consider it under the influence. Did you know the pedestrian or the driver? It is a very sad situation...I think it was a reality of two people being in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was fate. It is sad, but we need not to judge or jump to conclusions.
lisa

Shorewood, IL

#3 Jan 25, 2010
well dale if you hit a person or car not under the influence you can be charged with reckless homicide, thats even better rite....according to you. this was not fate this was a drunk driver that KILLED an INNOCENT woman. The driver is not the victim in this case. Did you see the big CROSSWALK signs where the victim was killed, NO.....
ashley

Edwardsville, IL

#4 Jan 25, 2010
Actually, if you read the reports it says the woman was walking in the road way--not the crosswalk.
LISA

Highland Park, IL

#5 Jan 26, 2010
Ashley look at the news broadcasts the innocent victim was walking in a crosswalk that had flashing signs....
BOB

Highland Park, IL

#7 Jan 26, 2010
PEDESTRIANS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT AWAY HERE IN THE US.....
Mel

Champaign, IL

#8 Jan 26, 2010
Wow! I cannot believe people would actually react like this and write such horrible things after such a traumatic incidence for both the victim and the driver. This was a HORRIBLE event that took place and an innocent person lost her life. A daughter lost her mother, a husband lost his wife, etc..and someone can actually have the audacity to say she was "as dumb as a box or rocks" or "she should have looked both ways? How do you know she didn't?! My goodness....this lady is dead! And Dale...one drink, two drinks, it doesn't matter! You should NEVER drink and drive. There is never a time that makes it alright! Yes, many people have, but that is a sad and ridiculous defense! I feel horrible for Amanda and her family, but she took someone's life and I think evidence will come out that she had a little more than one drink, or weed in her system. She committed several crimes that night...maybe you all will learn from this tragic event and stop trying to make excuses for inexcusable situation. I am sure you are a fried or relative of Amanda and trying to help her case, but I think you are probably hurting it by writing such careless, insensitive, comments about a dead lady! Get a conscience!
Brittany

Highland Park, IL

#9 Jan 26, 2010
I hope justice will be served in this case, Amanda committed a terrible crime and should be punished appropriately for it. My opinion she'll get off easy seeing that her bond was only $50,000 for killing someone, which is unbeleivable, and she is out on the streets right now possibly indangering other innocent people....
Anonymous

Urbana, IL

#10 Jan 26, 2010
ashley wrote:
Actually, if you read the reports it says the woman was walking in the road way--not the crosswalk.
She was crossing the street at a pedestrian crosswalk on Kirby Ave. This crosswalk is not at an intersection. It is there to help pedestrians cross safely. Buses let people off there, there are the proper pedestrian crosswalk signs (about 6 total) and a raised median with a walkway for pedestrians. The police officer writing the report stated that she "was walking in the roadway" as a way to state that she wasn't, for example, on the sidewalk when she got struck.
Anonymous

Urbana, IL

#11 Jan 27, 2010
Were you the cop who wrote the report?
Mel

Champaign, IL

#12 Jan 27, 2010
Are people still really trying to defend someone who was drunk and high and killed a lady??!! It is crazy to think that people would try and twist this on where this lady was crossing the street, rather than the real problem...which is that people, and appartantly a lot of the, think it is ok to do drugs and drink (one drink, two, etc) and get behind the wheel. You are always risking your life and others when you make that decision! How can anyone question what part of the story/situation was right or wrong. I think it is pretty black and white.
Anonymous

Champaign, IL

#13 Jan 27, 2010
I think it's funny that no one really knows the situation unless they were there. Mel are you telling me that you have never drove after drinking one drink? Or maybe even going to a church where they serve wine, because technically that would be breath alcohol? I read the news reports and it didn't tell anyone's BAC, so I'm sure you don't have any more information on the case than I do. It is an unfortunate event, but why do you want to take away two lives, when only one is lost now? Do you think people cannot change? And I for a face know that there are no FLASHING CROSSWALK lights on Kirby...so Lisa maybe if you want to come down from Chicago to check out the scene then you could comment and say something like that. I'm not defending anyone here, just saying that I don't think we are the people who should be condemning.
Ben

United States

#14 Jan 27, 2010
It'll be funny when her fat, drug abusing, trashy ass gets years in jail.

I'm sure her trash family will be on TV CRYIN'!! Of course it won't be for the dead woman, it was her fault after all, Right?

You all make me sick! Maybe one day your mother or kid will get run over by some fat trashy drunken crackhead and killed.
Mel

Champaign, IL

#15 Jan 28, 2010
Are you kidding me....going to church and having a sip of wine would not get your a DUI! They charged her with an Aggravated DUI - which means her BAC was over the legal limit! I think many people have had a drink or several and got behind their wheel, but it doesn't mean it is OK. First of all, I am the same age as Amanda and have been guilty of it, but I, being an adult, know consequences and was always very aware I was doing something wrong. Because I am older and wiser now, I choose not to drink and drive! And if I did, and ended up killing someone because of my decisions, I would NOT blame the victim and I could NOT morally defend my actions/choices (key word - CHOICES! And one more thing, I do NOT smoke weed or do drugs for that matter..and never have! Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't she charged with 2 counts of Aggravated DUI that caused an accident which resulted in death???!!!! That means she was intoxicated above the legal limit #1 and #2 she was under the influence of another substance...I believe that one was weed! And let's face it, Champaign is a small town and everyone pretty much knows everyone - so I don't think it is hard to believe that she was wasted and high! And I don't think there is anything "funny" about this sad story. Flashing crosswalk or not, IT'S A CROSSWALK!!! FOR PEOPLE TO CROSS!!! And it is a pretty obvious crosswalk on Kirby across from Hessel Park. And...it is on somewhat of a hill and hard to see, therefore, as a driver, especially if you grew up in Champaign and have driven on kirby tons of times, you should be more careful and always be on the look out for pedestrians crossing in that area!
mea

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2010
actually, mel, if you go back and actually get the story straight, she was under the limit.
and ben, do you know her and her family, cause i do, and they are not trashy
Mel

Champaign, IL

#17 Jan 28, 2010
Mea, what is the limit for marijuana? Please tell :) And Mea, please don't tell me you are defending her actions! And please do show me the story that says she was under the legal limit...not that it would make any difference because she WAS under the influence of alcohol and drugs, but I wouldn't mind seeing THAT story. I don't think I have seen what her BAC was? I just saw the charges and know that Illinois law states that "(like most other states) permits DUI two ways: being at or over the 0.08 grams per cent alcohol level, or by being incapable of driving safely by virtue of whatever alcohol the person ingested or drugs he or she ingested. For purposes of the "aggravated reckless homicide" statute, the fact of proven "impairment" or having a blood alcohol level over the legal limit increases the severity of the crime." Was she or was she not charged with 2 counts of Aggravated DUI? Yes, per www.cccircuitclerk.com ! And Mea, like I said, Champaign is a small town and yes I think most people do know her and her family! I don't think that she is trashy nor is her family, but she obviosly has some problems and I don't think they just started last Friday night!
mea

United States

#18 Jan 28, 2010
I am not saying that I defend her or anything, but she was not over the legal limit for alcohol! If you are saying that everyone who has an occasional drink or smokes pot has issues, then you have basically pointed a finger at half of the people in Champaign County. Just because you have a drink now and again, you don't have ISSUES. Go to church some more and preach to them. Also, a cell phone was involved , let us not forget that if you want to preach, add that in there. I guess everyone that talks on cellphones while driving have issues too. Don't jump down my throat Mel, i was stating the facts that 1, she was not over the limit for alcohol, and 2, her family is not trashy. Please preach elsewhere, that is all i said.
Mel

Champaign, IL

#19 Jan 28, 2010
No, I don't think I am saying just because you have an occasional drink you have issues. Just saying it is YOUR choice if you chose to have a drink or smoke a little weed and get behind the wheel. Therefore, if something bad happens because of it, you face the consequences for YOUR actions. This is common sense. I am not trying to preach, I am just stating what we already know about the law. And as far as the cell phones go, laws are getting more and more stict about them and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes illiegal to talk on cell phones and drive at the same time everywhere. So, you are right, that is just another factor in this crime that could have been prevented. I am sure the proscecutor is all over that one as well.
anonymous

United States

#20 Jan 28, 2010
mel....in the state of Illinois if you are under 21 a sip of wine is grounds for a dui...so therefore if you were to get in an accident and just came from church....and say you never drink...and you're thin....that my friend who would be a factor in an accident for which you are at fault...and just so everyone knows....the woman was not in a crosswalk
Brian

United States

#21 Jan 29, 2010
Yes, if you are under 21 - that is because they have 0 tolerance for under age drinkers. But, I thought Amanda was 31?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Learn to Read 182,191
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 23 min KiMare 51,305
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 46 min LessHypeMoreFact 49,366
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 46 min Grey Ghost 1,156,211
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 71,272
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr L Morales 411
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Mandela 68,913
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:03 am PST

NBC Sports 6:03AM
Jim Caldwell: No concerns about starting a rookie center
Bleacher Report 8:46 AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015
NBC Sports 7:32 AM
Full-blown Bears house-cleaning could be coming
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?