matt

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

I just got a scooter from pep boys called a BAJA SC50 and the 90 day warranty is up and now a few days after the warranty my dash light and mph gage went out can anyone help!! I think rain may have to do with it. I cant go without a mph gage because i've already got a ticket and cant afford another please help.
MyHot Rod

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Judged:

Sell it and buy a new scooter(not a Baja MS. they are junk and they are difficult to get parts for.
Dungarees

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2007

Judged:

What kind of answer is "sell it..." and buy something else. First, bring it back to Pep Boys, tell them what's wrong; there's a chance that they'll fix the problem for nothing (they'd prefer to keep a customer than say the warranty is definitive); even if they don't do it free, the problem could be as little as a burned out or loose dash light bulb, and probably a loose wire. You already own the scooter; why waste good money by selling it when the problem is incidental to the scooter's operation? And, Baja scooters aren't junk; they're not top of the line do anything and everything bikes; they were made to be simple affordable transportation, and they do that job well. Dungarees@gmail.com
Wheeling in calif

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

Judged:

I bought 2 scooters from pep boys about 3 months ago. they are great. We drive them all the time. Gets lots of looks. Its easy to trash products made in china. But if an american company made a decent product at a decent price point may-be i would have bought one. Since they dont I am happy with my purchase. Pep boys was very helpful.
sgrogan

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

Im looking at buying an sc50 on monday. I was hoping i could get some advice from someone who already has an sc50.
baja sc50

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Judged:

Parts are a real problem. Only authorized dealer in my area seems to think they are junk and told me that if I got a part from Baja the 15th one may fit. My son's 2006 SC50 was involved in a accident which bent the steering post - triple clamp assembly. Baja motorsports informed me the SC50 is a discontinued model and they did not have this part...neither does anyone else. Son put 1400 miles on it, only other problem was from bad fuel which was corrected by cleaning the carb. If anyone needs parts (except the steering post and body panels) I'll gladly parts this scooter out. In Greensboro, NC area.
SC50nc

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Trying one more thing with the steering stem, if that doesn't work would be will to sell you all the parts you will need to repair the light and speedometer. Baja has a parts list manual (horrible diagrams, but if you pull the pictue off and resize it you should be able to figure out how to replace the parts. Assembly instructions are: SC50 - Sun City 50cc Scooter Assembly Instructions.pdf. Parts manual is: SC50 Qj 50cc Scooter VIN PREFIX (LAWT).pdf you can get these from customer service by e-mail: service@bajamotorsports.net or phone customer service at: Phone 888.863.2252
For the speedometer, check the cable that attaches to the right side of the front wheel to make sure it hasn't snapped.
MarySC

Anderson, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

How do I remove the panels around the floor board and side of the Baja 50 scooter? I removed the visible screws but the side panels seem stuck.
BrianR R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2008

My brakes squeak... how can i get that taken care of cheaply.. and is there any wai to raise the exhuast pipe, or the scooter, becuase right now it hits when i go over speed bumps.
Mary

Anderson, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

baja sc50 wrote:
Parts are a real problem. Only authorized dealer in my area seems to think they are junk and told me that if I got a part from Baja the 15th one may fit. My son's 2006 SC50 was involved in a accident which bent the steering post - triple clamp assembly. Baja motorsports informed me the SC50 is a discontinued model and they did not have this part...neither does anyone else. Son put 1400 miles on it, only other problem was from bad fuel which was corrected by cleaning the carb. If anyone needs parts (except the steering post and body panels) I'll gladly parts this scooter out. In Greensboro, NC area.
I need the throttle assembly (right side handle bar and the black box it's connected to). I'll give you $20 plus shipping.
SC50nc

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I need the throttle assembly (right side handle bar and the black box it's connected to). I'll give you $20 plus shipping.
Got the front end back together...cost me a buck in ball bearings. Amazing what you can do with a torch, pipe vice, re-bar and a BFH. Sorry not selling for parts. If you haven't got the side panels off yet there are 4 screws and a series of clips that are under the floor boards. You will also have to remove the passenger pegs to drop it.
Although MyHotRod got a bad review...he was absolutely correct...these scooters are basically throw-away. I tried 3 different times to get parts and was told 3 different stories as far as availability with the end result being they didn't carry any of the front end parts.
Krem

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

[quote]My brakes squeak... how can i get that taken care of cheaply.. and is there any wai to raise the exhuast pipe, or the scooter, becuase right now it hits when i go over speed bumps.[/quote]

My brakes have been screwed since the day I wheeled it away from pep-boys... being told that it was only rubbing from gunk that would eventually wear away and the squeeking would go away... 550 miles later... still squeeking w/ revolutions. This concerns me cause at high speeds, that could build quite a bit of friction and get pretty hot..

As for the clearance... I had similar issues... I try to avoid speed bumps, but everytime I would make a left turn, the rear stand would scrape across the ground if I leaned too much.. this meant very wide and slow left turns... so, I grabbed some pliars, popped off the support spring, pulled out the pin and removed the rear stand. The only downside to this, that I've noticed so far, is maintenance (spec. oil changes) can be a nightmare unless you have something to raise the rear wheel (such as a platform).
Leslie Bienz

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2008

baja sc50 wrote:
My variator assembly went out on my Baja SC50, and I absolutely cannot find the part I need. I would LOVE to purchase the variator assembly of your bike if you haven't sold it, yet. Please let me know, it's just sitting in a shop with me desperately trying to find a replacement part. My email is Lbienz@Luc.edu, please email me if you are still interested in selling any parts. I could use new mirrors, too.
Leslie Bienz

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2008

oh, sorry, just saw that you fixed it. If anyone else has parts to sell, please let me know.
SUe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a 2008 Baja Sc50 myself and the damn stopped working as well. I took it to a place to et it fixed that honors my warranty, it took them 3 weeks and nothing. So i brought back home, and in two days know what to do now. The carbs need to be cleaned or replaced. So if you can discuss with me how to get your son's scooter i wqould gladly help you out. Trust me!
Sue
MarkSC50FL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

I can't help but notice that getting parts for this thing is next to impossible so I'm going to offer mine up for parts only. I have a 2006 model (Hot Pink) that I laid down a couple months ago and twisted the front forks. The engine runs like a champ (600 miles) and everything else on it is like new (except the battery and some cosmetic damage to plastic panels). If anyone out there is interested - I live in Orlando Florida and my E-mail is markstone68@yahoo.com. I will only sell it in whole - not part-out this or that - but I will give you an extaordinary deal (as my wife wants it out of our garage ASAP)...say $200o.b.o.
Derek Edwards

Woodbine, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

I would be willing to purchase the starter from you.
Crystal Salazar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2009

This is the second moped I have purchased and I do not recomend anyone to buy this style or type of moped. It is slow and I have had nothing but problems with mine. i also would recommend not to buy it a Pep Boys they wont do anythihng to fix it even if you bought it 3days prior
Drew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2009

does any know where to get after market triple clamps for the sc50 baja
Tim

Kenner, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Go to monster scooter parts.com , gy6 racing parts,scootertronics. and so on . Keeway is the same as baja. they all have gy6qmb139 motors and they run about $300.00 and a hanes repair book about $25 good luck Tim

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of59
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 15 min Midlothian Composer 97,454
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min LRS 173,742
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 18 min andet1987 405
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 27 min shinningelectr0n 1,072,818
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min The Troll Stopper 48,695
Evergreen Park Man Facing Charges In South Side... 43 min wow 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,161
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 9:07PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search