Kilted girls tilting heads at new Ridge restaurant

Nov 12, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter

A successful restaurant is measured on the volume of product sold, so perhaps there is no better sign for the newest joint in Chicago Ridge than having to order a second pizza oven and more of the company's signature beer - all before the official grand opening.

Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mint

United States

#1 Nov 17, 2009
U know i had no problem with this place commin to the ridge but after a girl i knew worked there for about a week told me whats going on i really hope they shape up or ship out !!!

It seems that the lovely girl serving has u immense pressure put on her by the management and are forbidden to eat the very food they serve me and u infact there have been stories of women who were reremanded and fired cause they ate a sandwich while on the job/duringh her brake !!!
stop complaining

Alsip, IL

#2 Nov 17, 2009
This is not unusual. Restaurants are no longer obligated to feed their employees. Especially if there are 50 of them on the payroll. Do you get free food where you work? Most restaurants make you pay a % of the food you buy. You can not take a break when you are busy and customers need service. Many restaurants want you to wait until your shift is over. Customers come 1st. If they have to take time to cook for them, the 15 minute break will be over with. Come to work to work, eat at home. They just opened and they are very busy. Tell her to stop whining and do her job. I am sure she is making good money there. Tell her to eat before she comes to work. Waitress are a dime a dozen.
Mint

United States

#3 Nov 17, 2009
i never said they should get there food free its a type of pressure they are putting on the girls to stay thin i guess but its not right to starve ur employees !!!

“: )”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 Nov 17, 2009
Mint wrote:
U know i had no problem with this place commin to the ridge but after a girl i knew worked there for about a week told me whats going on i really hope they shape up or ship out !!!
It seems that the lovely girl serving has u immense pressure put on her by the management and are forbidden to eat the very food they serve me and u infact there have been stories of women who were reremanded and fired cause they ate a sandwich while on the job/duringh her brake !!!
If they are full time employees, the law says they should get a minimum of a 20 minute break for meals. Part timers not so, but a person could plan around that.
Never Know

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 17, 2009
I think your story is a bunch of B.S and she
probably got fired for another reason, like
being a whiner like you
stop complaining

Alsip, IL

#6 Nov 18, 2009
Typical. She works and parties and thats about it. She awakes 1 hour before work , runs in, hungover, and guess what.. now she's starving. I am sure they give required break times. And also, according to Health & Sans, persons are not supposed to eat while they are preparing or serving food. Also, associates should not complain ( or whine) to customers. Her whining about how hungy she is,--oh poor little thin me-- is just getting a bigger Tip out of you , now isn't it? Give her good advise, tell her to go back to school.
tired of the bs

Oak Lawn, IL

#7 Nov 18, 2009
Mint wrote:
i never said they should get there food free its a type of pressure they are putting on the girls to stay thin i guess but its not right to starve ur employees !!!
Restaurant employers don't starve employees! Waitresses with an ADULT mentality, in this type of situation, eat before their shift and bring food with them if they have to. Each individual is accountable for their OWN health and well being.
Hun Garian

Orange City, FL

#8 Nov 18, 2009
Shoulda had a V8
liner

Hicksville, NY

#9 Nov 18, 2009
Hun Garian wrote:
Shoulda had a V8
4 cylinders are better on gas....
liner

Hicksville, NY

#10 Nov 18, 2009
Mint wrote:
She probably got fired because she couldn't spell.
job opening

Alsip, IL

#11 Nov 18, 2009
A new place like that, i bet someone could make $200+ tips and also pay in a day. I'd give up food , smokes, breaks, heck i would give up going Pee !
made u look

AOL

#12 Nov 18, 2009
they have nothing on ,..under those kilts ,...that will bring in the masses ! beer,... pizza and booty !
Hun Garian

Orange City, FL

#13 Nov 18, 2009
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
4 cylinders are better on gas....
The food there gives enough gas
liner

Hicksville, NY

#14 Nov 18, 2009
Hun Garian wrote:
<quoted text>
The food there gives enough gas
LOL!
Southside Hitman

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 21, 2009
or from what im told she was fired for bringing home her uniform for halloween....they either clean them there or send them out but im told they cant take them with them
dedicated employee

United States

#16 Nov 21, 2009
No one knows the whole story about the waitress but a good majority of American management(not all) treats their employees with little respect by doing as little as possible for them while maintaining a tolerable turnover rate that will not effect their profit margin. This is the norm and is what we are all accustomed to and consider acceptable. I can not tell you how many times I have heard sociopathic behavior referenced with management at my level and higher. In many other countries the treatment of our workers is considered aprehensible (and I am not just talking about salary). Anyone that reads this and responds with an attack or that we should be grateful that we have a job or to try working in China is evidence that that the brainwashing, propaganda, and moral manipulation is a success because I am not complaining I am only making a observation, I hold a good position and like the company I work for and have a good employer but I also spent many years working for employers like the ones I described. This is the management that, at the employees expense, intiated wage freezes, layoffs, benefit reductions, etc... to prevent or minimze the effect of the economy on their own lifestyles(continue to fly first when not upgraded, continue fractional jet flights instead of commercial flights, maintain several luxury cars, and properties,and the list goes on)instead of making sacrifices for the employees that were a huge part of their success.
I apologize for the long winded reponse,but something I read in the response irked me since no one knew the real cause and someone even defended the elimination of benefits and/or perks that cost the employer and could be recouped by making some sacrifices to their own lifestyles too that would not be significant considering their salary ranges and would express respect,appreciation, and concern to their employees.

Sincerely,
anybody
2 sides of the coin

Alsip, IL

#17 Nov 21, 2009
Very good in the big corporate world. This is a small company which goes out of its way, to follow the labor laws and standards. They hire with little or no experience in the work force. Young. Most possible high school or lower education. Some will make it. Others will fail. After 4 hours you get a 15 min break after that a lunch. You can't come to work and expect to eat when have customers, (hundreds)side work, set up etc. Uniforms. You don't see Police, TSA, Airline Pilots,Postal employees, etc walking around in their uniforms. It sounds to me like body got her the job but brains would keep her the job. It is a job. A good job. Good money. She had no experience. Plus, you never complain to customers. It is not easy to be a waitress or bartender. You have to keep everyone happy. She just didn't have what it took to work there. They hire in masses and only keep the best. You make good money and you make them good money. That is the goal for both. And BTW, they get their pay from good customers and service. There is no salary. Service employees get a bit more than 1/2 ( half) of min. wage. My guess, from experience from opening a new place such as this, 5 days, 8-$1,000 a week in tips. Only the strong survive.
Bill Lumberg

Wheaton, IL

#18 Nov 21, 2009
2 sides of the coin wrote:
Very good in the big corporate world. This is a small company which goes out of its way, to follow the labor laws and standards. They hire with little or no experience in the work force. Young. Most possible high school or lower education. Some will make it. Others will fail. After 4 hours you get a 15 min break after that a lunch. You can't come to work and expect to eat when have customers,(hundreds)side work, set up etc. Uniforms. You don't see Police, TSA, Airline Pilots,Postal employees, etc walking around in their uniforms. It sounds to me like body got her the job but brains would keep her the job. It is a job. A good job. Good money. She had no experience. Plus, you never complain to customers. It is not easy to be a waitress or bartender. You have to keep everyone happy. She just didn't have what it took to work there. They hire in masses and only keep the best. You make good money and you make them good money. That is the goal for both. And BTW, they get their pay from good customers and service. There is no salary. Service employees get a bit more than 1/2 ( half) of min. wage. My guess, from experience from opening a new place such as this, 5 days, 8-$1,000 a week in tips. Only the strong survive.
YEEEEEAAAHHHHHHH, why don't you go ahead and ......greaaaaaaatt......
The Tilted Kilt employees should contact the SEIU and let the SEIU represent them at the bargaining table. The way you describe it TK exploits the young and uneducated. This is a regular job - it aint Polecats dude. Tilted Kilt is owned by Harrah's. This aint no mom and pop deal you weasel. The workers deserve better. Now why don't you go ahead and print this posting and run to management with it like a good sheep you Corporate Message Board patrolling troll.
corporate message

Alsip, IL

#19 Nov 22, 2009
If i was , i wouldn't be posting the 'tip' information for the IRS to see. I bet they have over a hundred job apps of those who need a job. Willing to work hard and obey the rules. Such is life. They need someone to work, not eat and plan their halloween costume and whine to customers.
Service With A Frown

Orange City, FL

#20 Nov 23, 2009
Tell em to kiss the ol Blarney Stone babe!

They probably did this gal a favor by letting her go. She should now get a better job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Frank 1,101,103
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min LRS 177,502
Laser Weapon 500mW Green Dazzler 16 min Use this on you 1
Crack and the Social, Moral, and Economic Decay... 16 min THE CRACKHEADS 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 48 min J RULES 69,060
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 51 min SLY WEST 302
Second man charged in May homicide that left mo... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••