“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#1 Apr 10, 2014
DEAR ABBY: I'm a 27-year-old woman who has never had a boyfriend or been kissed. I was never interested in romance or having a significant other. I felt strong being independent and taking care of myself. Now that I have a degree, a career and a house, I feel ready to try to let a man into my life.

I met a really nice guy a month ago. "Brian" and I have gone out several times and have a lot in common. He's a gentleman, and he says he's willing to wait for me.

I have been having a difficult time letting myself be physical with him. Even hugging is uncomfortable for me. I know it's because I have been a shy loner my whole life and I'm unaccustomed to being close to people.

Even though Brian says he'll be patient, I can sense his frustration. Physical closeness should come easily if you like and are attracted to someone. I feel abnormal. I don't know if I'll be this way forever or get more comfortable the more I know him.

I'm afraid Brian -- and most men -- won't be willing to wait that long. I'm afraid if I don't move faster I'll lose a great guy and never get another chance. What do you think?-- BLOCKED IN BOISE

DEAR BLOCKED: Being intimate with someone because you're afraid you'll lose him or it will be your last chance is the wrong reason. I think that the sooner you talk with a licensed therapist about your lifelong shyness and discomfort, the quicker you can understand the reasons for it and overcome it. Your doctor should be able to refer you to someone.

If Brian is the right man for you, he will stand by you. But if he doesn't, you'll be able to more easily relate to someone else.

DEAR ABBY: I am planning my wedding in the fall. My fiance and I are paying for the wedding and reception.

I have worked at my job for a year, and I haven't always been treated well by a few co-workers. I am reluctant to invite these people because I'm worried about the repercussions if I do. I know they will judge every aspect because they did it to another co-worker.

I like a few of the people I work with, but I don't know if I can invite only them. What do I do?-- WEDDING PLANNER IN OMAHA

DEAR WEDDING PLANNER: What you do is invite only those people you truly want to attend your wedding. It's not necessary to apologize for it or to explain why. If you are put on the spot and feel you must give a reason, say that your guest list is limited because of financial constraints. It's far more tactful than saying they are being excluded because they are rude, awful people, and you don't want them anywhere near you on such an important occasion.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Apr 10, 2014
Lw1: abby won't say it. But i will. You're defective. You're right. Your dude is not gonna wait forever.

Lw2: i invited 3 people from work. And one was the best man. They were invited cause I wanted them there.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#3 Apr 10, 2014
1 Chunzel's little sister?

2 Girl stuff, dont care. Guy's dont have this problem. If a guy hangs out with you, he's invited. If he doesn't , he's not.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 10, 2014
1- Hey don't feel bad, I've never kissed a guy either

2- You are too stupid to get married, and for the love of God, don't breed!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 Apr 10, 2014
LW1: How honored all of us men should be that you have finally decided to bestow the privilege upon one lucky chap to let him into your life. We have all been patiently awaiting this moment for all of our lives. Men will be lined up outside your door and tripping over each other to get at your shear awesomeness in the hopes that one day just maybe, if they are really, really lucky, youíll let them grab your butt without smacking their hand away and give them a peck on the cheek, someday.

Get over yourself, princess.

LW2: Invite those you wish. You donítí have to invite every co-worker and Iím not sure why you came up with the idea that you have to do so.
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

#6 Apr 10, 2014
Glance into the past (I think this is a mined up archive letter from the
1960's or 1950's):

LW1 took a deep breath and:
(a) kissed Brian and realized that the kiss was nice
(b) kissed him some more and only regretted that she hadn't known what she was missing.
(c) righteously said she needed to remain pure--and ended up in a
convent--and Brian married a nice girl who loved him back.
or
other

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 10, 2014
d) she kissed Brian for the first time and liked it so much that she became aroused to the point where she got naked, ripped Brian's clothes off, and demanded that he do things to her on the table that frightened Brian to the point that he ran out of the restaurant screaming.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#8 Apr 10, 2014
LW1- this goes beyond merely being shy. It is possible that the LW is asexual. When you are with the right person, you want to be with them and explore your sexuality together. You definitely would benefit from counseling, but it would also help to find a person who actually turns you on, instead of just settling for someone who looks good on paper.

LW2- invite who you want, but you don't have to invite anyone from work. Keep the guest list small and intimate.

“An Apple a day”

Since: Jun 08

nil carborundum illegitemi

#9 Apr 10, 2014
1. You're probably gay.

2. I agree with edog and Sublime. You ARE too stupid to get married, don't breed and where did you get the dumb idea you need to invite co-workers anywhere.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#10 Apr 10, 2014
LW1: Please get counseling.

LW2: Please elope.
blunt advice

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 10, 2014
1. Join a convent. Or get counseling.
2. Weddings are for family and close friends, not coworkers who never see each other again once they get other jobs. However if you have made some good friends invite them and only them. The other people in your company probably don't care to go anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min scirocco 1,189,304
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min loose cannon 184,774
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 58 min GayleWood 51,325
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IBdaMann 51,334
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Red_Forman 5,698
Dear Abby 2-26-15 7 hr PEllen 1
Amy 2-26-15 7 hr PEllen 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:10 pm PST