Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

I would not ask kids for money either, that is a kindness you do. I just view hitching a ride to work as not a charity thing, but a business thing.
Mister Tonka wrote:
in hs, my friend's dad would drive several of to school. We were on his way. Never asked for a dime
My dad would regularly drop off several friends from the football team when taking me home. Never expected a dime
pde

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that GENERALLY, people are good and want to do what's right. But without safeguards/checkpoints, I wonder about the people trying to get away with doing the wrong thing.
I have the feeling that if you have a seizure behind the wheel, and evidence can be found that you knew that you were experiencing seizures, the disaster that will descend upon you is the punishment. And it is stuff that we may not necessarily think about but people are warned about when they get into the situation.

Like, your driver's license being revoked for much longer than you'd have to be seizure-free if you had been honest, the fact you might not even be able to find auto insurance even after you get your license back with that on your record, the fact that your auto insurance could refuse to pay out to cover the results of a seizure-induced accident, etc. The fact you could possibly be charged with crimes way beyond normal moving violations since you recklessly endangered others by getting behind the wheel knowing you had a condition that could incapacitate you without warning.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the feeling that if you have a seizure behind the wheel, and evidence can be found that you knew that you were experiencing seizures, the disaster that will descend upon you is the punishment. And it is stuff that we may not necessarily think about but people are warned about when they get into the situation.
Like, your driver's license being revoked for much longer than you'd have to be seizure-free if you had been honest, the fact you might not even be able to find auto insurance even after you get your license back with that on your record, the fact that your auto insurance could refuse to pay out to cover the results of a seizure-induced accident, etc. The fact you could possibly be charged with crimes way beyond normal moving violations since you recklessly endangered others by getting behind the wheel knowing you had a condition that could incapacitate you without warning.
But if you have one inside of the 12 months and don't report it, you get your license back and then its a gamble on whether or not you'll experience another one while driving, so getting caught might not be a motivating factor in that regard.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
And again, I'm not talking about ME. Just in general. If the POSSIBLE punishment was the only motivating factor in getting people to act right, then no one would murder, rape, and pillage.

People do wrong because they they are willing to take the gamble that they will get away with it. Someone who has lost his driving privileges for a year may be willing to take the chance (by not reporting a second seizure) so they can get their life back(ie: their driving privileges).

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
You know, I think the LW wants to help his coworker. So I think the right answer is to have him talk to his coworker about the rules and see if a second attempt will be better.
Sometimes, the right thing to do, if you're up for it, is to help someone else out and make things a tiny bit easier for them.
Not only are they co workers, but next door neighbors. Imagine the hostility both at home and work if the lw simply refuses to do him any favors?
pde

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>But if you have one inside of the 12 months and don't report it, you get your license back and then its a gamble on whether or not you'll experience another one while driving, so getting caught might not be a motivating factor in that regard.
If you're desperate enough not to tell your doctor about the seizures--and use your doctor's help to hopefully get your medications to the point where you never experience one again--I suspect you have other issues.

Driving a car is a circumstance where a seizure is both a danger to yourself and others. There are also plenty of other times when experiencing a seizure may only be a danger to you.

When I was growing up, the sister of one of my schoolmates died in the shower because she had a seizure, fell, and hit her head on the faucet on the way down hard enough to cause a severe brain injury. Just one of those weirdly freak accidents but the source of the accident was her epilepsy.

(Ok, I have known an abnormal number of people with epilepsy, haven't I? And people who have died as a result of it. Now that I think more about it, my mom told me over Christmas that one of two twin brothers I grew up with died in the past six months because he had apparently had a seizure--no known history of epilepsy--injured himself seriously during the seizure, lived alone, and wasn't discovered for 24 hours. I don't know how he injured himself though--head or what. She was just like "did you know that N died?")

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

I didn't get that they were neighbors - he never says they are really, but then I reread and it says "he stands in OUR driveway instead of heading inside." So I think you're right, they're very close neighbors.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I didn't get that they were neighbors - he never says they are really
"DEAR ABBY: My next-door neighbor "Rod"..."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

HA! I had even gone ack to re-read efore posting that he didn't say that!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
I just found saying that "she signed up for it" a bit harsh.
I don't know...every time I got married I had to sign stuff..:D

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
HA! I had even gone ack to re-read efore posting that he didn't say that!
I had considered joining some sort of car pool for work. Many of us live in the same area and drive the same roads so why take five different cars with one person each?

But like the lw, I do a lot of my errands, shopping, banking, right after work. It is rare, maybe once or twice a week I go straight home from work. And what if I have to leave early, or stay late?

I understand where the LW is coming from and understand he can't leave his neighbor/co worker high and dry. But he needs to find his backbone and lay down rules. He's either being bullied, or taken advantage of, by this guy.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
I would not ask kids for money either, that is a kindness you do. I just view hitching a ride to work as not a charity thing, but a business thing.
<quoted text>
I can't comprehend that. I view both as a kindness and really can't see how you classify them differently.

Is it because in one case its a kid riding with you? To me, that is still a benefit to an adult. If my friend's dad did not swing by every morning to get me, my dad would have to go out of his way to drop me off. So in essence, my friend's dad was really helping MY dad out more than me.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Maybe it's because I dont expect a kid to find his own way home after practice or getting to school, but I do expect an adult to find his own way to work everyday. It's their job to get to work, and that entails a cost to them.

Seems pretty Tonkalogical to me, I am puzzled you cant separate the two concepts.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I can't comprehend that. I view both as a kindness and really can't see how you classify them differently.
Is it because in one case its a kid riding with you? To me, that is still a benefit to an adult. If my friend's dad did not swing by every morning to get me, my dad would have to go out of his way to drop me off. So in essence, my friend's dad was really helping MY dad out more than me.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
Maybe it's because I dont expect a kid to find his own way home after practice or getting to school,

Neither would I. I would expect that to be the responsibility of his parents. If my friends dad did not take me to school, you think I would just then be stuck trying to figure out a way to get there myself? No. That task would fall to my parents. My dad would have to take me.
RACE wrote:
but I do expect an adult to find his own way to work everyday. It's their job to get to work, and that entails a cost to them.

I agree. And likewise, getting you kid to school entails a cost.

In both cases, you are giving someone a ride on a route you were already going and in doing so relieveing them of their cost. I don't see why the kid's parents get a break, but your neighbor doesn't.

Maybe it boils down to how we thik thinks would play out if the favor was not done. You semingly think the kid is then left to fend for himself, and therfore you are helping some penniless kid, whereas I see the repsonsibility falling back to his parents to figure out how to transport their kid to or from school.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

In the meantime, an 11 year old is the last one at the soccer field and is walking home by himself at 6:30 while grownups forget, assume someone else will do it or debate.

Nope.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

I walked, rode my bike, hitchhiked extensively in my teens, that was to school, work and friends. Only time my dad took me was to/from the roller rink on Fridays (till I got my car)

Oh, and he picked me up after wrestling meets too.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither would I. I would expect that to be the responsibility of his parents. If my friends dad did not take me to school, you think I would just then be stuck trying to figure out a way to get there myself? No. That task would fall to my parents. My dad would have to take me.
<quoted text>
I agree. And likewise, getting you kid to school entails a cost.
In both cases, you are giving someone a ride on a route you were already going and in doing so relieveing them of their cost. I don't see why the kid's parents get a break, but your neighbor doesn't.
Maybe it boils down to how we thik thinks would play out if the favor was not done. You semingly think the kid is then left to fend for himself, and therfore you are helping some penniless kid, whereas I see the repsonsibility falling back to his parents to figure out how to transport their kid to or from school.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
I walked, rode my bike, hitchhiked extensively in my teens, that was to school, work and friends. Only time my dad took me was to/from the roller rink on Fridays (till I got my car)
Oh, and he picked me up after wrestling meets too.
<quoted text>
My elementary school was close enough to walk or ride my bike, and that's how I got to school. High school was not. Much further, and had to pass thru areas you really ought not be riding thru. So once I got to high school, it was back on my parents if I could not catch a ride with someone.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
High school was not. Much further, and had to pass thru areas you really ought not be riding thru. So once I got to high school, it was back on my parents if I could not catch a ride with someone.
No school bus service?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No school bus service?
No. i went to a small catholic school, not public school. No bus.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••