Car jack slips killing Lakemoor man

A Lakemoor man who was working under his car Monday night was killed when a jack slipped and the car fell on top of him, officials said Justin Kaskaddon, 22, of the 32000 block of Pilgrims Court, was working on ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
very sad

United States

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Prayers to his family. My husband had to change a tire last night on the ice and he was afraid of this very thing. How horrible.
sad

Novi, MI

#4 Feb 12, 2008
I cannot stress to my son enough. safety first.
ASE CERTIFIED

Morton Grove, IL

#5 Feb 12, 2008
22 years old is just too young :( Personally if I cant use a jackstand, a spare wheel or any bulky item will suffice.
IMO

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Feb 12, 2008
how awful! i always fear this will happen to my dad or husband or son who sometimes take car repairs into their own hands. car jacks seem so flimsy compared to the weight and size of a car.

peace and prayers to the man's family.
Aaron

Arlington Heights, IL

#8 Feb 12, 2008
what an awful way to go...
Automotive Student

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 12, 2008
that's terrible! i fear that would happen to me someday too.. hope not! especially doing oil changes in a driveway that is slightly encline with the car jacked in the cold is crazy and taking chances. i'll make sure next time to put a spare tire or something tall enough for me to escape if the jack happens to slip. Sad.
golf girl

Forest Park, IL

#11 Feb 12, 2008
The new jack stands are so flimsy and unstable. Its just so slippery and miserable to be working outside. This poor kid. Condolences to his family.
Hank

Lisle, IL

#12 Feb 12, 2008
I saw the neighbor's son doing that one day (working under a car held up by a jack alone.) I pointed out the hazard and the fact that people regularly die doing that. He probably thinks I'm a jerk safety Nazi, but he uses jack stands now, so I don't care.
just southern

United States

#13 Feb 12, 2008
Jack stands as a gift to someone who likes to work on their own vehicles are far cheaper than a funeral. My deepest sympathies to the family.
Done

Naperville, IL

#14 Feb 12, 2008
I own a shop and we never work under a car on a jack. And we never let anyone work alone. And those are my rules for all my employees.
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 12, 2008
LAST WHITE GUY wrote:
Doesn't anyone stick wooden blocks under a jacked up car anymore? Maybe thats old fashioned, but it would have saved this guys life.
You are so right. Sometimes I wonder if common sense is lost when it comes to young people thinking today.
wow

Lisle, IL

#16 Feb 12, 2008
I always use jack stands when working on my car. Also after setting the car on the jack stands, I pump the jack bank up so if a stand gives, at least I have the jack as a backup.
742 Monday Night

Darien, IL

#17 Feb 12, 2008
Damn...how unbelievably awful. I'm sad for his family. I hate when a young person is taken so senselessly.
Skb1212

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Feb 12, 2008
Can the "moderator" please remove "Last White Guy"'s comments and anyone who refer's to it?
This stupid dead kid? HE WAS MY FRIEND- How dare anyone sit on here and say anything about young people having no common sense. If you couldn't say your comment to his mother's face, please refrain because 1) Mistakes happen, 2) None of you were there. and 3) He's dead now, and we are all suffering enough without rude comments.
Thanks.
Friend

Kenosha, WI

#19 Feb 12, 2008
First of all to all of those that agree with LAST WHITE GUY, do you have nothing better to do than criticize a young man's life that was taken only a day ago?

Justin was my friend. Not some "young person common sense was lost to". He was an amazing person that was so enthusiastic about life, including his Mustang. He loved working on that car, every day. As horrible as it is for me to grasp this, accidents happen, and that's exactly what yesterday was. It has nothing to do with his intelligence.

Maybe you could just let his family and friends mourn without your rude idiotic opinions about a person you never had the pleasure of knowing.
Another parent

Montgomery, IL

#20 Feb 13, 2008
does anyone know the arrangements yet?
Jim

Buffalo Grove, IL

#22 Feb 13, 2008
Automotive Student wrote:
that's terrible! i fear that would happen to me someday too.. hope not! especially doing oil changes in a driveway that is slightly encline with the car jacked in the cold is crazy and taking chances. i'll make sure next time to put a spare tire or something tall enough for me to escape if the jack happens to slip. Sad.
DO NOT jack up a car on an incline. A buddy of mine did that once, and fortunately for him, all he suffered was a cracked rotor. It could've been a lot worse.

That was my first thought on reading this tragic story...he must have had it on an incline.
Jim

Buffalo Grove, IL

#23 Feb 13, 2008
Friend wrote:
First of all to all of those that agree with LAST WHITE GUY, do you have nothing better to do than criticize a young man's life that was taken only a day ago?
Justin was my friend. Not some "young person common sense was lost to". He was an amazing person that was so enthusiastic about life, including his Mustang. He loved working on that car, every day. As horrible as it is for me to grasp this, accidents happen, and that's exactly what yesterday was. It has nothing to do with his intelligence.
Maybe you could just let his family and friends mourn without your rude idiotic opinions about a person you never had the pleasure of knowing.
Well said. Some of these comments here show a complete lack of class and civility.
KDFish321

Oshkosh, WI

#24 Feb 13, 2008
Hindsight is always 20/20. Adults make just as many mistakes as young people, and saying that "common sense is lost in young people thinking today" is stereotypic and demeaning. Yes this mistake ended horribly, yes we know there are things this guy could have done to be safer, but believe me, his family and friends are already driving themselves insane with "what ifs," and "if onlys." SRS, you are one of the low life people that goes on message boards just to get a rise out of people by being incendiary; and a jackass. My heart goes out to this man's family, and I wish them peace as they deal with this terrible ACCIDENT. If you were to die tomorrow, would you want people pointing out to your family all the ways you could have lived? I think not. So grow up.
Trevor

Glenview, IL

#25 Feb 14, 2008
You two that say you are his friend are being a little hyper-sensitive. No one is saying anything judgmental toward the kid...just issuing a warning to others. You should be happy to hear their comments so that this kind of thing doesn't happen to others!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Jacques Ottawa 185,063
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Earthling-1 51,531
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min positronium 1,191,972
abby03-02-15 24 min Mister Tonka 10
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 28 min Mother Superior 51,366
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 38 min JOEL 71,559
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr RJS 7,962
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:47 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:47AM