Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll just the cliff notes from you I think.:)
Oh. So that's how you're gonna be!

Fine.

Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo trilogy kept me completely captivated.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

LW1: While I agree that the daughter and her boyfriend have been insensitive, LW's way of handling the situation was to stew in resentment for two years and then tell them that they are being rude and petty. This approach was not destined to yield a dinner invitation. And who would want one given out of guilt and obligation? She should have adjusted the situation 1 year and 11 1/2 months ago by 1) cooking a meal and inviting THEM to dine with her and 2) nicely telling them that "tomorrow it is your turn to cook for me." Charging rent isn't going to completely fix what is broken in this relationship, but I think she should begin charging rent. Then she needs to find a better way to relate to her daughter, perhaps through counseling but definitely by using a different approach. Talking to someone in anger and calling them petty and rude promotes a defensive response.

LW2: Recently someone posted a pic on my Facebook page that said, "Dear Facebook: Please provide an "Unfriend until after the election" button." I shared it on my page. My Facebook friends are on both sides of the fence. I am pretty apolitical, vote mostly for issues, and don't believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a politician. Why do people get so riled up if other people have different politial views?

LW3: Tonka's answer might work better for the original LW than a good book. But if he's in the mall, a video game on the Ipod might be more appropriate.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I like it!
I was actually asked this question as part of jury selection once. I said The Stand by Stephen King (and ended up on the jury). Another one that comes to mind is I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.
GET. OUT. OF. MY. HEAD!

The Stand is easily my favorite...I've probably read it 8-10 times (long car trips as a teenager). And Wally Lamb is the frigging bomb-diggity. Wish he was cranking them out as fast as Stephen King.

Reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger for my book club this month. I had read it already, but it's a nice change from the shlock they sometimes pick. If I get the opportunity to pick the next one, I'm going to say A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole because that is my 2nd favorite book, and hardly anyone has ever heard of it.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Oh. So that's how you're gonna be!
Fine.
Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo trilogy kept me completely captivated.
I had to google it b/c I hadn't heard of this. I also found out I should have probably known about it. Seems to be extremely popular and well received.

Can't wait to read them!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
GET. OUT. OF. MY. HEAD!
The Stand is easily my favorite...I've probably read it 8-10 times (long car trips as a teenager). And Wally Lamb is the frigging bomb-diggity. Wish he was cranking them out as fast as Stephen King.
Reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger for my book club this month. I had read it already, but it's a nice change from the shlock they sometimes pick. If I get the opportunity to pick the next one, I'm going to say A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole because that is my 2nd favorite book, and hardly anyone has ever heard of it.
Did we talk about The Hour I First Believed already? I feel like we did.... And I agree, I wish he'd write faster!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Did we talk about The Hour I First Believed already? I feel like we did.... And I agree, I wish he'd write faster!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's come up before.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Bowls, Polls, and Tattered Souls: Tackling the Chaos and Controversy that Reign Over College Football by Stewart Mandel
My brother loves sports books, especially college and pro basketball and football. I'm jotting this down.

My favorite book:

Inferno, by Dante. The Pinsky translation, in particular.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to google it b/c I hadn't heard of this. I also found out I should have probably known about it. Seems to be extremely popular and well received.
Can't wait to read them!
\

My friends loved the books and the movies as well.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

LW2 - at least the FBF was upfront about why she was unfriending you.... sure, hiding LWs comments could have been "better", but whatever.

as far as scrolling by stuff one doesnt want to read, i've done it here but when it's pages and pages of infighting and politics, i get disheartened because that's not why i came here. infighting is one thing, but when teh discussion devolves into somethign that has a more appropriate venue, well, then it should be taken elsewhere. If LW is the only one "spouting" the political stuff - regardless of party - perhaps FB isn't hte right venue.
pde

Davis Junction, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're talking about individual posts, what's the point of hiding it after you've already seen it?
Because hiding the posts actually does influence what Facebook algorithms decides to show you post-wise (and in what order) if you use a "Top Stories" sort.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
Because hiding the posts actually does influence what Facebook algorithms decides to show you post-wise (and in what order) if you use a "Top Stories" sort.
ah. ok. i don't use top stories. i actaully hate how it defaults to that. I'd rather see it all chronologically and retermine for myself if something looks interesting.
Julie

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

LW1: I have no patience with idiots like you who allow themselves to be used as doormats and then whine about it. STFU.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>ah. ok. i don't use top stories. i actaully hate how it defaults to that. I'd rather see it all chronologically and retermine for myself if something looks interesting.
Same here. And it seems to default to top stories because I regularly have to reset it to sort by most recent.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. And it seems to default to top stories because I regularly have to reset it to sort by most recent.
Yep. Me too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

The Stand, It, and the Gunslinger series.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I like it!
I was actually asked this question as part of jury selection once. I said The Stand by Stephen King (and ended up on the jury). Another one that comes to mind is I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

1: Meh...I can't get too mad for LW since she's allowed this crap to go on. Use your words, d-bag. They run over you because you allow it and raised a daughter who thinks it's appropriate.

2: I avoid all talk of politics, and I think posting on FB is annoying (why I deleted mine months ago), BUT....this friend has known her for 40 years!! That's longer than I've been alive...and now she doesn't want to hear it? Please.
Quietly hide her for a bit....the friend handled it wrong; she knows her friend is this way, unless LW sees this friendship as more than the other does...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min sonicfilter 1,096,539
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min wojar 176,842
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 39 min gcaveman1 46,242
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 53 min edogxxx 97,844
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 7,738
Pics of Sharpton as a baby 1 hr Hey Coons 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr _Zoey_ 290
Amy 8-22 4 hr Kuuipo 12

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:15AM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••