Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

DEAR ABBY: I have been with my boyfriend, "Ned," for almost two years. I'm 19 and we have lived together since we started dating. I love Ned, but I feel like we moved too fast into our relationship and now he's trying to keep it moving as quickly as possible. I'm afraid he's going to propose soon.

He brings the subject up a lot, and I never have much to say because I'm afraid of hurting his feelings. What should I say if he pops the question? I'm not ready for that kind of commitment, but I don't want him to be angry with me if I say no.-- TORN IN OHIO

DEAR TORN: Honesty is the best policy. Not wanting to upset someone would be a very poor reason for getting married. If Ned pops the question, it is perfectly all right to tell him exactly what you have shared with me -- that you are not ready for that kind of commitment because you are only 19. It's the truth.

If Ned becomes angry, do not allow him to stampede you into saying yes. That kind of reaction could be a warning sign of someone who is a potential abuser.

DEAR ABBY: I'm 14 and haven't had a girlfriend yet, but I'm curious about something. When I do have one, will it mean I can't love other girls?

Lots of girls tell me I'm nice, friendly and helpful. I love them. When I have a girlfriend or get married, I won't be able to stop loving others. Is this wrong, Abby?-- CARLOS IN DONNA, TEXAS

DEAR CARLOS: There are varying degrees of love. There is nothing wrong with loving women, as long as you don't love them all at the same time. If you do, it may upset your girlfriend or wife.

When you are ready for a permanent relationship, the feelings you will have for the woman you're involved with will be stronger than those you are feeling now. However, if that doesn't happen, consider it an indication that you either aren't ready to settle down or you were meant to be a bachelor.

DEAR ABBY: I'm writing in response to "Hates the Crunching in New Mexico" (April 21), the wife who was annoyed about her husband's chewing ice during breakfast and dinner. There is a possibility that he many have pagophagia (craving and chewing ice), which is often associated with iron deficiency anemia. It could also indicate other nutritional problems that can be manifested by various "picas" (craving substances that have no nutritional value, such as dirt).

"Hates the Crunching" should encourage her husband to schedule an appointment with his physician ASAP for a simple blood test, which can show whether or not he has anemia.-- HOLLY PHELPS, BELLFLOWER, CALIF.

DEAR HOLLY: Thank you for your letter. Some readers felt the ice crunching was just a bad habit, but the majority echoed your concern that the crunching could be a sign of anemia. I hope your letter will encourage "Hates the Crunching's" husband to contact his doctor and ask to be evaluated.

DEAR ABBY: My daughter, who is graduating from college, received a gift card from her aunt. The gift card is for the shop that the aunt owns. I think this was tacky. Am I wrong?-- PROUD MAMA IN NORTH CAROLINA

DEAR PROUD MAMA: If your daughter likes the merchandise her aunt carries, I see nothing tacky about it. However, for you to criticize the gift is ungracious. And tacky.
Cass

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

LW1 - Your first step is to find a way to suggest how you can live separately while still remaining a couple. You need to live on your own for a while, the both of you. If you can't or don't want to do it, just tell him you are not ready for the commitment of marriage, and things are fine the way they are for you.

LW2 & LW3 - Skipping those.

LW4 - If the aunt gave your daughter an actual present that she got from the store she owns would you consider it tacky? Consider this gift in this light: Your aunt told your niece that she is free to come to her store and pick whatever she wants for free up to a certain amount. Lovely gift, I think.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Lw4 grow the hell up and stop telling everyone you know in your search for agreement.
Boundary Painter

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

Aw, Carlos, if you are real, just be friends with the girls. Enjoy your teen years and give yourself time to be young.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

LW1's boyfriend will get angry if he pops the question and does not get the answer he expects. Prepare for break up. Don't tease him by saying you might change your mind in the future. Next time, don't move in together so fast. You are 19 now.

LW2. Really? A 14 year old writing to Abby? About love?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

1- Geez! The dude's anxious to get married and Abby assumes he must be an abuser!

2- Nothing wrong with a harem, son.

3- I'm sure there's a pill for that.

4- Hope she owns a sex shop, you ungrateful btch!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

LW1: Start packing your bags and get ready to move out. If I'm living with someone and redy to get married and she turns me down, I don't know that I'd want to continue living together cause it would obviously not be headed in the direction I thought.

LW3: Oh, for fluck's sake, it could be that he drank all his juice and does not feel like getting up and refilling the glass so the ice will do. Does every little f'ing thing have to come with a medical diagnoses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

56 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,083,092
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min scirocco 68,434
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 20 min prince calyobamawaby 48,990
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 29 min newpoly 1,867
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min wojar 175,072
'African' stowaway's body found on US military ... 32 min Daily Mail 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 35 min nono 3,842
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr edogxxx 97,574
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••