“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1 Nov 9, 2013
DEAR ABBY: I'm a single woman who has had a string of unsuccessful relationships. When a man is into me, I'm not into him and vice versa.

I know the problem is mostly mine. I'm very independent. I don't want a man to consume my life -- just be a part of it. It seems like the men I date want to smother me.

My friends tell me that most women enjoy this. I hate it. I need a certain amount of time alone. I am attracted to manly men, but the ones who are attracted to me are either emotionally needy or they take longer to get ready to go anywhere than I do. It's frustrating.

I have met some men who would have been wonderful catches, but I felt nothing. I know friendship is the basis of all relationships, but physical attraction is important to me. A relationship won't work if I can't bring myself to be intimate with the person.

In all my years of dating, I have been in love only twice. Any help would be appreciated.-- LOST IN WASHINGTON STATE

DEAR LOST: I wish I had a magic lamp that would give you what you're looking for in a puff of smoke, but I don't. What I can offer is that you need to continue looking for someone who is as independent as you are, so you can find an attractive man whose needs are similar to yours.

Some couples find the process of dating a smooth and easy one. For others it's complicated, but not impossible. I agree that the basis of strong relationships is friendship and compatibility.

DEAR ABBY: How does one stop family and old friends from going on and on about their aches, pains, symptoms, conditions, doctor visits and medications in excruciating detail? Aside from my mother (who is 85), I don't care to hear about this from others. It has taught me a lesson I wish people would follow: While I do have back issues, I speak of them only to my doctor.
I try to be patient, but some folks seem to need someone to vent to. I don't want to be the one they "tell all" to. I try to tune it out, but I wish there was an easy way to let them know enough is enough.

Any ideas on the best way to handle these people? Or am I stuck being a good listener forever?-- NOBODY'S THERAPIST IN CROFTON, MD.

DEAR NOBODY'S THERAPIST: Try this: Say, "Really, I'm sorry to hear that." Then change the subject to something you read in the newspaper, saw on television or that's happening in your community.

DEAR ABBY: Tell me what you would have done in this situation. While dining at an expensive restaurant on a rare night out, we were seated directly across from a nice-looking family. As I was eating my meal, I had a nauseating view of their child's butt crease. The boy was about 12 or 14, and I didn't want to embarrass him in a public place, but it put a damper on my enjoyment of the meal.

Would it have been appropriate to approach his mother and quietly tell her? Obviously, the kid didn't know or care that he was exposed. The restaurant was full, so I couldn't request another table.-- LOST MY APPETITE IN MYRTLE BEACH, S.C.

DEAR LOST YOUR APPETITE: The first thing I would have done was resist the urge to walk over and plant a stalk of celery in the great divide. And then, because moving to another table wasn't possible, I would have moved my chair so that the view of the young man's cleavage wouldn't have been "head on."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#2 Nov 9, 2013
1- Switch teams.

2- "Dear Abby, how do I learn the art of conversationalism?"

3- Why are you staring at the exposed @zz of a 12 year old?
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

#3 Nov 9, 2013
LW1 should be applauded her honesty. She isn't leading these men on to think she has more than friendship for them.

LW2 can either choose to be what LW2 calls a "good" listener or
say, "That's not for me" at the wrong subject.

LW3 good an amusing answer but should stop giving south Carolina
a stuffy reputation.
Cass

Claremont, CA

#4 Nov 9, 2013
LW1 - Keep looking. In the meantime, learn to appreciate who you are by yourself. For the record, I don't think *most* women enjoy their lives being consumed by a man. Just some do.

LW2 - Be mean, "Auntie Kate? This is really boring. I am sorry your lumbar is acting up again, but I've heard this 15000000 times before. Talk to your doctor, not to me."

LW3 - Love the stalk of celery solution! I wouldn't be able to do that, but it sounds fun and tempting. Since it's impracticable, however, I'd try not to look. Conversing with my dining partner and looking him/her in the eye should help.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#5 Nov 9, 2013
L3 Look at your food, look at your dining partner.

Was the boy exhibiting good manners otherwise?

Have you never ever had a bra strap slip of leave your zipper partially down?
pde

Davis Junction, IL

#6 Nov 9, 2013
Cass wrote:
LW1 - Keep looking. In the meantime, learn to appreciate who you are by yourself. For the record, I don't think *most* women enjoy their lives being consumed by a man. Just some do.
Maybe it's just the women I know or something, but MOST women I know don't want their lives consumed by a man.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#7 Nov 9, 2013
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's just the women I know or something, but MOST women I know don't want their lives consumed by a man.
Most women don't. And with her attitude of thinking that having a boyfriend "consumes" you, it's no wonder she can't find a man.

Most MEN don't want to be "consumed" with this "I am woman, you will DAM WELL here me roar!" attitude.

Btch needs to chill, relax, and stop thinking that being in a relationship is what "defines" her.
Julie

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 9, 2013
LW3: Lady, the fact you obviously couldn't take your eyes off a 13-yr-old's @$$ makes me think YOU are the one with the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,206,835
Word (Dec '08) 5 min RACE 5,152
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Beiber 185,910
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 min RACE 5,818
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 10 min RACE 7,993
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 23 min zion 52,335
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 40 min Graham Cracker 51,878
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]