Smoking deaths

Smoking deaths

There are 2506 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 27, 2009, titled Smoking deaths. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I recently attended my mother's funeral. The cause of her death was smoking-related. Four years ago I attended the funeral of my father -- again, the cause was smoking-related. I understand nicotine addiction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 126
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#2577 Aug 14, 2010
grey box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good you're feeling optimistic! Wow, what a drone. I thought about the rights people were born with last weekend when my husband and I drove through Marion, IN to see if the tree where crowds gathered to watch 2 black men hanged in 1930 still stood. It did. Lots of war memorials and even a memorial for the first white man to arrive in Marion, but oddly no mention of the two black men who "gave up their rights." You know, the ones they were born with...
I am sorry you do not understand any thing about rights and freedom.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2578 Aug 16, 2010
"Smoking is injurious to health" ... One should understand this before buying it and better not be addicted to it..
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#2579 Aug 16, 2010
expatspain wrote:
"Smoking is injurious to health" ... One should understand this before buying it and better not be addicted to it..
There is a quote from one of the Legacy Library tobacco documents where an industry exec says that smokers are typically making their first efforts to quit at a younger age--usually before getting out of high school. The exec goes on to gloat about its already being "too late" for the quitting effort, since addiction is already in play.

What one SHOULD understand and how that understanding SHOULD affect decisions is largely moot in light of this particular aspect of smoking.

Golden Valley,Az.

#2580 Aug 16, 2010
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a quote from one of the Legacy Library tobacco documents where an industry exec says that smokers are typically making their first efforts to quit at a younger age--usually before getting out of high school. The exec goes on to gloat about its already being "too late" for the quitting effort, since addiction is already in play.
What one SHOULD understand and how that understanding SHOULD affect decisions is largely moot in light of this particular aspect of smoking.
Do you people make this stuff up? Quitting smoking is no harder than quitting any other habit. How many people keep their new years resolutions? Very very few. So every one is addicted to some thing they can not quit doing. I should say do not want to quit doing. I have been smoking for well over 50 years and healthy. I quit for a year cold turkey and found it very easy to quit. Found it did nothing for me to quit, so I went back to what I enjoy. Everyone I know that really wanted to quit found it easy to do so. Those that did not want to quit and were forced to for one reason or another had a very hard time.
People who are paid enough will say any thing. The drug companies have paid for some studies to connect smoking with leopardsy and they are to find a link or not get paid. You will soon hear about it in the news when they make up a link.
grey box

Chicago, IL

#2581 Aug 16, 2010
azmac wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you people make this stuff up? Quitting smoking is no harder than quitting any other habit. How many people keep their new years resolutions? Very very few. So every one is addicted to some thing they can not quit doing. I should say do not want to quit doing. I have been smoking for well over 50 years and healthy. I quit for a year cold turkey and found it very easy to quit. Found it did nothing for me to quit, so I went back to what I enjoy. Everyone I know that really wanted to quit found it easy to do so. Those that did not want to quit and were forced to for one reason or another had a very hard time.
People who are paid enough will say any thing. The drug companies have paid for some studies to connect smoking with leopardsy and they are to find a link or not get paid. You will soon hear about it in the news when they make up a link.
I have a feeling your definition of "healthy" is "not dead."

I wonder how "healthy" your family members are who had to breathe in second-hand smoke for 50 years? I was one of those unfortunate kids who in the winter either had to deal with a smoke-filled car or a smoke-filled car with freezing air blasting me because the windows were rolled down in zero temps. It sucked and I do partially blame having to breathe that smokey air for the first 18 years of my life on my health issues that include asthma and susceptibility to pneumonia.

At least my mom and dad do not suffer anymore-- Dad, RIP, 60, lung cancer. Mom, RIP, 65, Emphyzema.

Golden Valley,Az.

#2582 Aug 16, 2010
grey box wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a feeling your definition of "healthy" is "not dead."
I wonder how "healthy" your family members are who had to breathe in second-hand smoke for 50 years? I was one of those unfortunate kids who in the winter either had to deal with a smoke-filled car or a smoke-filled car with freezing air blasting me because the windows were rolled down in zero temps. It sucked and I do partially blame having to breathe that smokey air for the first 18 years of my life on my health issues that include asthma and susceptibility to pneumonia.
At least my mom and dad do not suffer anymore-- Dad, RIP, 60, lung cancer. Mom, RIP, 65, Emphyzema.
Almost all of my family is healthy. Most of my family lives into their late 90s, the longest being 103. Never any cancer in my family of any kind. Arthritises is what runs in the family. We usually die in our sleep.m I know way more non smokers with the so called smoking diseases. In fact when I grew up and all most all smoked there was very little of the so called smoking diseases. I only knew one person with cancer growing up, today I know hundreds and most are non smokers. Smokers also hold all the longevity records.
Here is some thing you should worry about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 126
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min RoxLo 1,523,995
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Well Well 240,414
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr CrunchyBacon 105,141
A Little Ditty 14 hr Longfellow 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 hr TRD 71,285
A few ITEMS of interest. 17 hr Jocularity is Best 2
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 18 hr EAT PORK 18

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages