Plunkett Furniture going out of business

Plunkett Furniture Co. is going out of business. The 78-year-old, family-run furniture chain entered into an out-of-court bankruptcy earlier this month as the housing crisis stifled furniture sales. Full Story
Rosie

Cary, IL

#208 Jul 4, 2009
I have purchased several times from Plunkett. I still have 2 traditional chairs from 1981 that have remained in great shape. The cushions never sagged in all this time. Stains came out immediately also. Last year I bought kitchen and dining room chairs and received several compliments on them. I am sorry to see them close.
bloozeman

AOL

#209 Jul 20, 2009
John Sr and Hugh were stand up people.Something got lost in the generations.Jaime was a real b---h
and gave the Plunket family a bad name.Terrible customer service.I cannot say that I am bummed out that they are leaving .
Late to the party

Waukegan, IL

#210 Jul 22, 2009
Made first furniture purchase from Plunkett's in 1992. Beautiful bedroom furniture. We went on to buy furniture for several other rooms not too long after. Great stuff and wonderful service.

Jump to 2006...new house.. new furniture. Of course Plunkett's came to mind. Went in to the Northbrook and Hoffman Estates stores. YUCK. The furniture was so out of date looking... like something my grandmother would have bought. Too heavy, ornate (read: gaudy) and over priced. I did find a nice sectional on sale (but still highly priced). Not only was the salesperson apathetic but the sofa took almost a month after promised delivery to show up. When it did, some non-english (read: illegals?) "delivered" the furnture dumping it in my garage after they determined that they couldn't get it into my family room (funny, my hubby and son moved it in quite easily). To top it off, there was a gash in the back of the couch.

Needless to say, I feel for people loosing their jobs, but for the prices charged at Plunketts, you expect a higher caliber of service that was just not delivered:(
Billie

York, PA

#212 Aug 1, 2009
Ndugu wrote:
One less place to buy crappy Wal Mart-grade furnishings.
Are you nuts? This was the highest quality furniture Chicagoland offered. Although I agree customer service could have been better, it's hard to staff a business when you are bleeding money. It' another sad example of expectance of mediocrity
Lucy

Waukegan, IL

#213 Aug 24, 2009
I am a former long-time employee of Plunkett's. We carried wonderful furniture, and Iwe had many, many loyal customers. But in a difficult economy, it is imperative to be a well-run, efficient business, and to take care of your employees, your vendors and your customers. Plunkett's did anything but. Hugh Plunkett was an arrogant, difficult man who abused and demeaned his employees, his vendors, and his own family members. Employees were poorly trained, and because, in the end, no one wanted to work for him, many of the newer hires were poorly qualified. He did not care about his customers, and often gave them damaged furniture which was supposed to be new.

THIS COMPANY DESERVED TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS. Unfortunately, many wonderful employees lost their jobs and their livelihoods, and some are even losing their homes in the process. What a terrible shame that one man was able to bring a company to its knees. Wake up and smell the coffee Mr.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#214 Aug 24, 2009
Lucy wrote:
I am a former long-time employee of Plunkett's. We carried wonderful furniture, and Iwe had many, many loyal customers. But in a difficult economy, it is imperative to be a well-run, efficient business, and to take care of your employees, your vendors and your customers. Plunkett's did anything but. Hugh Plunkett was an arrogant, difficult man who abused and demeaned his employees, his vendors, and his own family members. Employees were poorly trained, and because, in the end, no one wanted to work for him, many of the newer hires were poorly qualified. He did not care about his customers, and often gave them damaged furniture which was supposed to be new.
THIS COMPANY DESERVED TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS. Unfortunately, many wonderful employees lost their jobs and their livelihoods, and some are even losing their homes in the process. What a terrible shame that one man was able to bring a company to its knees. Wake up and smell the coffee Mr.
You carried wonderful furniture and had many loyal customers./ The owner was an arrogant creep who abused his employees, vendors etc. A study in contradictions, no?
chgolou

United States

#215 Aug 24, 2009
this post has been a real gas to be a part of- just shows how the U.S. consumer wants everything for free with white glove service. "hey this couch is wearing out! I paid 1999k 8yrs ago for it!" Ive sat my fat duff on it everyday since it was delivered- whats the problem?
Economics 101

Round Lake, IL

#216 Sep 13, 2009
Adversity breeds character.
The grandfather, who was a real furniture man, a working man, started the company and was fondly remembered by both employees and customers. Maybe he was respected because he respected both the people doing the work for him and the customers purchasing that work, go figure. His sons never worked a day in their lives and maybe that’s why they grew up to treat employees and customers badly, go figure. The third generation was so incredibly spoiled and entitled that they thought they were owed a pay check. I worked for them for five years in the late 1980s and would often see “the store manager”(yet another unqualified but entitled Plunkett) come in at 11:00am still drunk from the night before, lock himself in his office and leave for “lunch” by 2:00pm never to be seen from again until the next day. Time and time again I saw them fire some of the best employees I’ve had the pleasure to work with in all my life and replace them with family or friends of the family, all of which felt entitled to a pay check without doing any work. It’s too bad they let the grandfather’s business go under. Many of the Plunketts were and are good people and did not deserve this, but these bad business practices would have caught up with any company eventually. To the good Plunketts, I wish you the best, to the racist, abusive, cruel, oafish, Plunketts I’ll repeat a piece of advice you sadistically gave to an employee as you fired her,“maybe Walmart is hiring”.
e squared

Chicago, IL

#217 Sep 13, 2009
A few years ago we moved and the first piece of furniture we bought from Plunkett. It was an awful experience. It tooks several months to be delivered, and no one would provide information or even call back. No one was responsible for our order.
We bought the rest of our funiture elsewhere. Carsons was one of the places, and they were so much easier to work with. Too bad, we did like a lot of the funiture, but we wouldn't go through that nonsense again. I'm not suprised that they are out of business.
Stoughton

AOL

#218 Sep 13, 2009
e squared wrote:
.....We bought the rest of our funiture elsewhere. Carsons was one of the places, and they were so much easier to work with.
You rarely go wrong buying furniture from Fields (Macy's) Carsons, Sear's, Penny's, etc.

My whole house is full of Penny's furniture, high quality, delivered on time and quickly and they'll take anything back for any reason.
j drago

Elgin, IL

#219 Sep 15, 2009
Plunkett = over priced crap. bye bye
chgolou

Chicago, IL

#220 Sep 15, 2009
j drago wrote:
Plunkett = over priced crap. bye bye
and what makes you an authority? What brands meet your strict standards and where can one buy these products in or around Elgin?
gurn

Elgin, IL

#222 Sep 17, 2009
chgolou wrote:
<quoted text>
and what makes you an authority? What brands meet your strict standards and where can one buy these products in or around Elgin?
open your mouth.
gurn

Elgin, IL

#223 Sep 17, 2009
elgin is the isp address stupid.
loser hunter found some

Elgin, IL

#224 Sep 18, 2009
chgolou wrote:
<quoted text>
Where ya at ya stupid c%%t!
Jason Steele

Elgin, IL

#226 Sep 23, 2009
Frank RIZZO wrote:
M CARR , Right on with your commments. Mark Plunkett was a drunk low life loser who couldn't run a paper stand.I remember seeing emty beer cans in his car when he pulled up to work one day.Then the y gave him power to be a major buyer for the company and that's when things started going south. Then he hired some hillbilly from some other furniture company who he was banging on the side and she brought in some illegal immigrant workers to run warehouse and then all heii broke loose.
Sounds like you worked there and got the Plunkett boot up yo a$$.
Frank RIZZO

Lincolnshire, IL

#227 Sep 24, 2009
Yes I did get the boot but I will tell you it was the best thing that ever happened.I would never work for a family owned retail business ever again.
Jason Steele wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you worked there and got the Plunkett boot up yo a$$.
M Carr

Round Lake, IL

#228 Sep 25, 2009
At the end of the day if you do not understand the free market or even simple economics you have no business being in business.
These were people that thought that a greed based, Wal-mart style race to the bottom was what the market needed.
The Plunketts never bothered to study the free market or even their own market, instead they convinced themselves that senseless greed was the same as profit discipline.
In the end their race to the bottom led them to exactly that; the bottom.
Like it or not, the market argument says that’s where they belong.
southloopchic

Midlothian, IL

#229 Oct 7, 2009
I predicted this after my bad experience with them. It is the customer service people who turned me off from buying there. I bought a furniture to be delivered once I get back in town in 3 months, then wanted to cancel when I got back. They cancelled the purchase after several calls since I wouldn't accept delivery, and gave me credit. I have browsed the store several times to see if I could find something useful for me (I live in a loft). None. Now that they are bankrupted, that means I don't get my money back. I feel sorry for the owner (who i met and was a very nice person). I buy my furnitures from room and board which has excellent customer service. You've got to make the customers happy!
chgolou

Midlothian, IL

#230 Oct 8, 2009
SouthLoopchic im sure the people of China thank you for shopping at Room and Board!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Tony Rome 1,115,618
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min Brian_G 47,068
Minimum Wage and Unemployment Model 2 hr Goh 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Top of the Heap 4,054
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr KiMerde 50,063
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Mister Tonka 98,373
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr WelbyMD 178,617
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]