Plunkett Furniture going out of business

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Plunkett Furniture Co. is going out of business. The 78-year-old, family-run furniture chain entered into an out-of-court bankruptcy earlier this month as the housing crisis stifled furniture sales.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
perplexed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

all the money made during the 'boom' times....where did it go?

i mean...75 years in business..they had to recognize that the sky wasn't always going to be full of sunshine.
A Cops point of view

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

There is only so many stupid rich people to buy way over priced furniture!!
huskie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

the plunkett kids were kinda not the coolest people in the world. its like we sell wooden chairs we are cool cuz my dad sells stuff. but cool they are not. if you grow up in river forest you better have some cash or get out of the way.

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a pleasure to be around. This was a great family business that stuck around for 75 years. It was anything but "crappy."
Um, many of the other posts on here indicate to the contrary. Whether or not it's a family business is irrelevant if the product and service are poor. I have been in Plunkett, and the furniture was not a good value, it was not particularly stylish and appeared to be of very poor quality compared to other furniture at that price point. I am supposed to ignore that and spend my hard-earned dollars there just because it's a family business? That's the same kind of attitude that ran the Big 3 into the ground. People kept buying junk just because it was American, the Big 3 had no reason to improve, and now look at the condition they are in.
chicago1

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Plunkett was awesome! I dont care what a few of you wrote. We bought furniture from there from 1989 till about 1 year ago. Sorry to see them go.

Good luck.
no kidding

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

It is sad to see another business fail, whether or not you liked the store or not. We bought our couch and chair from Plunkett 8 years ago and are still very pleased with our purchase. They had to have done something right if they were in business for 75 years.
ouchbabe

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Good run, they made it through the great depression and numerous recessions,but housing bust was it
and now we afre in another depression 21st century style. Unfortunately we will see more of this as the hope & change machine further mows down the economy. Community organizers are real good at fixin things. See the westside of chicago!
not surprised

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Quality furniture, but overpriced.

Plunkett thrived as families spent beyond their means to furnish houses they mortgaged to the hilt to afford in the first place.

The current economic situation is a correction, not just a recession. There is no need for a high-end furniture retailer like Plunkett in the suburbs. The people who still have money live in places like the Barringtons and they already have Richard Honquist Furniture to serve their needs.
Wake up

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

This is not only about the Plunkett's losing a business; all of their employees, many of whom I would bet have been loyal & hardworking, are also losing their jobs. Managers, Designers, delivery people, many others involved up and down the line, will lose jobs or be scaled back; wake up everyone. Those of you trashing the family, wishing ill on the future of others, waiting for your piece of the pie to be spread your way; Karma. Look it up. So this is change; nice. The family and their employees should be proud of their success over the years. Best of luck to you all.
politwriter

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

ouchbabe wrote:
Good run, they made it through the great depression and numerous recessions,but housing bust was it
and now we afre in another depression 21st century style. Unfortunately we will see more of this as the hope & change machine further mows down the economy. Community organizers are real good at fixin things. See the westside of chicago!
Is the news media accurately reporting the extent of the continued economic decline?

Unemployment is at 9% in IL right now and was at about 12.6% in 1936 at the height of the Great Depression.

And we seem to be hearing more about Obama's kids' new puppy and Michelle Obama's dresses than the Obama Depression.

Where are all those stimulus shovel-ready jobs?
Rebecca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

eva wrote:
I tried to buy furniture at Plunkett's River Forest store on several occasions. Each time, they were rather inattentive. You might wonder why I kept giving them another chance: it's because their furniture was good quality and consistent with the traditional style of my home.
I don't like pesky salespeople, but these folks were on the other end of the spectrum: my husband and I had to hunt them down to ask them questions about the furniture. It told me they didn't want our business. I guess we weren't the only ones who felt this way.
My husband and I had the same experience at the Hoffman Estates store. After 3 tries and noone wanting to help us (they were too busy talking to each other) we took our business elsewhere.
Wake up

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

politwriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the news media accurately reporting the extent of the continued economic decline?
Unemployment is at 9% in IL right now and was at about 12.6% in 1936 at the height of the Great Depression.
And we seem to be hearing more about Obama's kids' new puppy and Michelle Obama's dresses than the Obama Depression.
Exactly! And people here cheer the failure of another company, like it's going to help them somehow. Unbelievable.
john

South Holland, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

I am sad to see all the employees loose their jobs, but Plunkett's was a heartless company. The family members were creepy, scary people who would never smile and had no personality at all. The stores were beautiful and so was much of the furniture, but the salespeople were so poorly trained, shopping there was a difficult experience. Hopefully a nicer store will open here to replace Plunkett. The Smithe Brothers must be very happy about this news, but they are even creepier than the Plunkett's.
Jeff

Waukegan, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

We bought some expensive items from the RF store and we liked our saleswoman-- she was an Oak Parker and was very attentive.. 30% down and no interest for 12 months-- we loved it!

Sorry to hear about a Chicago family-run store biting the dust!
Lori

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

We bought a beautiful armoire from Plunkett's but vowed to NEVER EVER buy another piece of furniture from Plunkett bc of how poorly we were treated by them once we signed the credit card slip. We even contacted Hugh Plunkett about our horrible experience and got no resolution. Since then we have spent thousands on furniture for our 1st house...we would go to Plunkett to see the pieces in their showroom and then order the exact furniture from other stores like Macy's and Walter E Smithe! Good Riddance Plunkett!!!!!
Matt

Lake Zurich, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Don't like seeing anyone losing their job and especially hate to see mom and pop stores closing down. The old man had a well known temper and that no doubt created a poor environment for the sales floor. Poor management also made them more vulnerable to the financial downturn.
Go White Sox

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Now, if the Smithe Brothers and their Cubbie-lovin' ilk can be flushed down the toilet!
Enough with the haters

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

The Realist wrote:
Soon, people will be buying furniture at GUM department store, comrade.
Come on, every freaking article you guys have spin into an anti-obama angle.
Water Dogs are Crazy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

politwriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I agree. Though my neighbor has one of those dogs and they are psychotic.
Ugh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

ouchbabe wrote:
That "Community Organizer" is President of the United States? What have you done?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

98 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min HughBe 68,346
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,077,919
Voice of God Weapon 7 min I cant help it 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Learn to Read 174,415
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 32 min TRD 67,833
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 54 min Terry rigsby 48,821
Abby 7-22 1 hr Cass 5
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••