Plunkett Furniture going out of business

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Plunkett Furniture Co. is going out of business. The 78-year-old, family-run furniture chain entered into an out-of-court bankruptcy earlier this month as the housing crisis stifled furniture sales.
Comments
201 - 209 of 209 Comments Last updated Jan 4, 2013
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
E E E

AOL

#251 Jan 7, 2010
so what ,.......
Frank Rizzo

Lincolnshire, IL

#252 Jan 8, 2010
David, it sounds like you and Mark might have had more than a working relationship.If he had a smile on his face it was because he was intoxicated or stoned.
David Snider wrote:
I worked for Plunketts out of Lombard for many years back in the 90's. I served under Mark Plunkett and not only did he have a great sense of humor but treated everyone like he was a friend for years. Always had a smile and the Lombard store was a great place to work at that time of my life. I'm sorry to see it go and am proud to have been a part of the history Plunkett's made for themselves.
hipodrome

AOL

#253 Jan 8, 2010
over priced -WAY OVER PRICED ,.... i only bought things there ,..when they put things on sale ,.. and even then --it was over priced !--------- all those high end stores are going bye bye ,... you smith bros are next ,...... can you say drexel bankrupt ?
Fred

Bangkok, Thailand

#254 Jan 8, 2010
Very professional
Plunkett_HELP

Chicago, IL

#255 May 11, 2010
anyone know what to do when you bought a warranty for spills??? HELP!!
michelle

Chicago, IL

#256 Nov 4, 2010
yes I to purchased from plunkitt horrible they never got back to to me wen I told them they needed to install a mirror and my dresser was in poor condition. Ok so I got on sale, but one of the draws makes a loud noise wen I open it. It totally sucks! Not to mention they never could tell me what kind of wood I was purchasing or had any idea about wood period. and I think they were over priced but I do love my dinning table it was 5000 and I got it for 2300 so I was happy about that. But that would have been my last purchase.
michelle

Chicago, IL

#257 Nov 4, 2010
I to had a bad experience they never followed up with me wen I complained about my dresser I purchased the mirror never was attached and my draw made a loud noise wen I opened it. It totally should me that all they cared about was them selves, and the sale.
I felt that they had no experience aboutthe designer or the different wood.
Marie

Chicago, IL

#258 Nov 4, 2010
Hey all you shoppers I had a bad experience to but now I shop at Carsons outlet great sales and good quality and a big difference in style. I think you will be very happy putting extra money in your pocket.
Sox fan

Palatine, IL

#259 Jan 4, 2013
I just found this forum just now and I must say Hugh was a jerk. Someone mentioned he was manic depressive but he probably was bi-polar after. I too worked for Plunketts after graduating high school as a part time job during college at the old Chicago store on Harlem Ave.

Sorry to see them close but was a weird place to work for. I do want to say that Joan Plunkett (Hugh's wife) was my favorite..she was very nice. A few times, she let me and another warehouse person take her brand new, bright red Cadillac Allante Convertible out to lunch. Man, that was a sweet ride. Joan, if you ever read this; sorry.....but we beat the hell out of that car every time we took it out. To all the all readers out there, it's was ok because that car was totaled by Dan Plunkett (I think....but was the youngest son) who took the car out late night for a joy ride and wreaked it on a tree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,101,542
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 min Pippa 97,967
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min litesong 46,382
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min LRS 177,529
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 36 min KiMare 49,508
Abby 9-2 43 min Pippa 11
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 4,667
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••