Plunkett Furniture going out of business

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Plunkett Furniture Co. is going out of business. The 78-year-old, family-run furniture chain entered into an out-of-court bankruptcy earlier this month as the housing crisis stifled furniture sales.

Comments (Page 10)

Showing posts 181 - 200 of209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
southloopchic

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for that education. I am going only for quality furniture and excellent customer service provided by people here from USA. Where did plunkett's furniture come from?
Mr Furley

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

chgolou wrote:
SouthLoopchic im sure the people of China thank you for shopping at Room and Board!
Well, if you were shopping at Plunketts in the last few years of business...the people of Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines and most of Latin America thank you. Guess you don't know that much about the furniture that was sold at Plunketts. Very little was from the U.S. I should know, I unloaded it for years. Your comments show how ignorant you really are about this whole thing. Not keeping score here, but you are very much in the minority opinion on this thread.
southloopchic

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

I didn't follow where they came from. Again, thanks for letting me know. No regrets here. Did you like the [lunkett's furnitures? I wnet to the auction, and I wouldn't take anything for free. Sorry.
chgolou

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2009

Im far from ignorant- just sick of seeing business close and the uninformed public cheering it on! Fields is gone, Plunkett is gone- who will offer a better product? Ikea or Rooms to Go?
Frank Rizzo

Lincolnshire, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

It is interesting hearing the Smithe commericals on the radio ripping Plunkett's telling people if they got the shaft from Plunkett's they will help you out.I'm curious if Plunkett's screwed all the employees that were their at the end out of their vacation and retirement money due them. What a bunch of scumbags.
former employee

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

Actually, now that you mentioned it - they did screw us out of our vacation pay!
Former Employee

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2009

This would not have happened if John Sr. was still alive.The kids and Uncle Hugh ran the company into the ground.
Plunkett Truth

Niles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

Truth be told wrote:
<quoted text>
What a petty man you are. Dancing on the grave of a family-run business. Fine, you had a bad experience. But to sit here and celebrate the demise of a long-time Chicago business says more about you than it does about Plunkett.
So obviously a Plunkett writing this. Karma is a doozie.
Mr Furley

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

Former Employee wrote:
This would not have happened if John Sr. was still alive.The kids and Uncle Hugh ran the company into the ground.
You bet! John T. was a great man with more business sense in his pinky finger than the whole lot put together. It was very obvious that with his passing the company took a hard left into a tree.
Mr Furley

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

Judged:

chgolou wrote:
Im far from ignorant- just sick of seeing business close and the uninformed public cheering it on! Fields is gone, Plunkett is gone- who will offer a better product? Ikea or Rooms to Go?
I'm sorry for calling you ignorant...."pompous " is actually the correct adjective to describe your posts. You brush all these posts off as the "uninformed public". What about all the employees and former employees posting? I think their insight is more first hand and true than anything you were privileged to via the paper or wherever you are getting your information. It would be one thing if it was one or two upset employees, but when you are hearing the same story from dozens of people it makes it clear. And while we are on the subject, what makes YOU the expert on furniture?
Plunketts Has No Friends

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Friends of Plunketts wrote:
You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Going bankrupt is the only way for us rich folks to protect the assets that we have hidden. Just because you could not afford the high end furniture so the Plunkett family could build more stores and spacious homes doesn't mean that they have feelings too! If you don't like the level of customer service that you received from the Plunkett sales force, then go shop somewhere else (oops, I guess some of you did).
Either you are Hugh Plunkett or when Plunkett's plans on reopening I hope that you will be no where around.
Plunketts Has No Friends

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Frank Rizzo wrote:
It is interesting hearing the Smithe commericals on the radio ripping Plunkett's telling people if they got the shaft from Plunkett's they will help you out.I'm curious if Plunkett's screwed all the employees that were their at the end out of their vacation and retirement money due them. What a bunch of scumbags.
You know how Mr. Plunkeet get down. Here's the 411 he plans on reopening under a different name.
Plunketts Has No Friends

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

If you guys ever come across Mark Plunkett he was one of the smartest businessman I know. I think with his leadership and guidance this company could have stayed afloat. Mr. Hugh Plunkett thought he was invincible and didn't need anybody. He was very rude to people made alot of racists remarks and tolerated racist people working for him. In order to run a successful business Hugh you have to take care of the peope working for you and treat them with RESPECT no matter what color they were or their income level. This man didn't care about anybody. So with the level of comments being negative I can say that I wasn't surprised but for some reason it bothered me . I had a friend that interviewed with him and she said that he was crazy. That was only a five minute interview. So imagine what some of the sales people and other employees had to deal with. Mr. Plunkett is the type of man who blames everything on everybody else and never looks to his own self as the reason that things went down. He would fire all the employees, but he never looked in the mirror and said some of this could be my fault. He's the type of man to take everything down with him. In the end I knew it killed him to close this business and it wasn't due to the economy it was due to the fact of how he treated people. If he plans to open under a new name i don't see how that business who survive either his son Dan Plunkett has definitely picked up some of his same characteristics and his wife is so nasty. NO business can survive like this when it's ran like this. Take some people skills classes because no matter how much education you have Mr.Hugh Notre Dame graduate you have to learn the basic people skills and that is free.
Mark is a skeevy lowlife

Lake Villa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2009

Judged:

Mark Plunkett was the worst; in a family chock full of low class, miscreant, trailer trash thieves thatís saying a lot. They had a well deserved reputation for treating employees like trash and customers even worse, still some of the Plunketts were decent folks, but Mark stole more from his own familyís business than all the others put together. He used to say work was for chumps, he desperately wanted money but couldnít figure out how to get it without working so he stole from his own family and blamed people he had recently fired. To this day I am sure he fired these otherwise genuinely good employees just so he could have someone to blame. He did this over and over; truthfully a contemptible guy. Watch out for this guy, forewarned is forearmed.
Magic Bird

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

Judged:

Such a shame. That was a great name in furniture.

Now we have to watch the stupid Smythe brothers' bizarre ads, as they explore new realms of narcissism and raw insanity.

There must be a better alternative than the Smythe brothers.
Other side of fence

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

Judged:

Magic Bird wrote:
Such a shame. That was a great name in furniture.
Now we have to watch the stupid Smythe brothers' bizarre ads, as they explore new realms of narcissism and raw insanity.
There must be a better alternative than the Smythe brothers.
I hear the Smythe brothers are just as tough to work for as the Plunketts!! That is coming from someone that has worked for both!
deommorons

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

AWWW ...........PLUNK IT ALL ANY HOW ....... AND PLUNK YOU YA BIG OLE ATHOLE
David Snider

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2009

Judged:

I worked for Plunketts out of Lombard for many years back in the 90's. I served under Mark Plunkett and not only did he have a great sense of humor but treated everyone like he was a friend for years. Always had a smile and the Lombard store was a great place to work at that time of my life. I'm sorry to see it go and am proud to have been a part of the history Plunkett's made for themselves.
flockallofewes

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2009

Judged:

big deal --good stuf but way over priced ,...good ridiance ,....

Since: Jun 09

Palos Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Judged:

what a shame

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 181 - 200 of209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE