Plunkett Furniture going out of business

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Plunkett Furniture Co. is going out of business. The 78-year-old, family-run furniture chain entered into an out-of-court bankruptcy earlier this month as the housing crisis stifled furniture sales.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of209
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
FairAndBalanced

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Wow, this is shocking!(Not). We purchased furiture at Plunkett in 1983 and it was one of my worst experiences ever.
J Cheever Loophole

Bensenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Hard to stay in business with customers who purchase once every 26 years I guess.
Jac

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

I made my first and last purchase in 2001 from Plunkett. I couldn't be happier that they are out of business. It goes to show how important it is to keep your customers happy and returning. I am proud that I stopped many of my friends, family and colleagues from ever setting foot in a Plunkett store from the experience I had.
Depot Jim

Winnetka, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Economic conditions are not good out there regardless of what some of the politicians and some of the press say.
JXK

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Well who could not see this one coming? Every six months another furniture store is going out of business. I wonder who will be next.
Truth be told

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Jac wrote:
I am proud that I stopped many of my friends, family and colleagues from ever setting foot in a Plunkett store from the experience I had.
What a petty man you are. Dancing on the grave of a family-run business. Fine, you had a bad experience. But to sit here and celebrate the demise of a long-time Chicago business says more about you than it does about Plunkett.
The Realist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Soon, people will be buying furniture at GUM department store, comrade.
eva

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

I tried to buy furniture at Plunkett's River Forest store on several occasions. Each time, they were rather inattentive. You might wonder why I kept giving them another chance: it's because their furniture was good quality and consistent with the traditional style of my home.

I don't like pesky salespeople, but these folks were on the other end of the spectrum: my husband and I had to hunt them down to ask them questions about the furniture. It told me they didn't want our business. I guess we weren't the only ones who felt this way.
Jefferson

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

The Northbrook store was very nice. However, their selection was rather boring. Reminded me of the 1970's when my parent's would drag me to Fradell's in Palatine. If Ethan Allen can update their portfolio, so could have Plunkett's. Besides, I see a lot of people in my age gravitating towards Room & Board.
Arthur Tragg

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

We made several purchases from the Plunketts over the years and were always happy with the quality and the way we were treated.
BeatThatDrum

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

yes, they were very bad on the customer service side, which I found out too late after making my one and only (though $ubstaintial) purchase there. Too bad we didn't have didn't have this outlet to protect each other back then. MORE GREAT COMMENTS!!
Liz

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Great news for Walter E. Smithe!

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

One less place to buy crappy Wal Mart-grade furnishings.
jac holtzman

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Truth be told wrote:
<quoted text>
What a petty man you are. Dancing on the grave of a family-run business. Fine, you had a bad experience. But to sit here and celebrate the demise of a long-time Chicago business says more about you than it does about Plunkett.
The furniture business is cut-throat, only being outdone by the lawn care industry in terms of competition and double dealing. Plunkett's survival for 75 years is a testament to their family. They probably put three generations through school with that business. Three cheers for Plunkett.

There's a reason mobsters say "Go to the Mattresses."
Jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Remember, el presidente insists we've "turned the corner" on the economy. Sure.
Chet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Isn't this news a week old? Way to stay on top of things Trib...
Jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Ndugu wrote:
One less place to buy crappy Wal Mart-grade furnishings.
You must be a pleasure to be around. This was a great family business that stuck around for 75 years. It was anything but "crappy."
JOE 63

Sawyer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

good bye
AndyDevine

Kingman, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

R.I.P., home of the $8,000 (suggested retail) marked down to $3,000 armoire.
seriously

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Is your last name "Plunkett"?
Truth be told wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of209
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

105 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 min danetoo 67,890
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Tinka 1,078,808
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,493
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Hey now 45,763
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr frankensnorter 48,848
The Liberty Brothers Interview: Colonel Kratos,... 1 hr Must be you 7
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 4:15PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search