Comments
21 - 40 of 107 Comments Last updated Mar 14, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#21 Mar 12, 2013
So, your arguing that these people would be better off not knowing their family history? Seems to me just the opposite.

It sound like these people walked away more educated about their history, which is what the LW's family would be. But you're saying to leave the past past.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's YOUR take, but others would find it to be a burden. Especially finding out their ancestors had owned slaves.
I saw a documentary on the descendents of the largest family of slave owners in U.S. history. The women took it harder than the men. Then they were given a tour of the slave quarters in the Caribbean (slaves were held in the Caribbean until prices in the U.S. were at a certain minimum, meanwhile they were put to work growing sugar cane and making rum, which then was used to buy more slaves in Africa).
THat's where the men changed their tune, from "This has nothing to do with me, I didn't do any of these things to slaves from Africa," and "It was how the times were, I'm not going to judge my great-great-great grandfather for doing something he didn't even realize was wrong," to "Wow, my ancestors had to know this was evil." From one tour of the slave quarters.
It. was. Fascinating.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#22 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, your arguing that these people would be better off not knowing their family history? Seems to me just the opposite.
It sound like these people walked away more educated about their history, which is what the LW's family would be. But you're saying to leave the past past.
<quoted text>
YOu didn't see how it could be a burden. I pointed out a situation in which people did think it was a burden.

Neda, stay with me!

#23 Mar 12, 2013
I'm sorry, I just dont see that knowledge being a burden. You mean those people should feel guilty about what their ancestors did?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu didn't see how it could be a burden. I pointed out a situation in which people did think it was a burden.

Neda, stay with me!

#24 Mar 12, 2013
I did a google search for pics of slave cabins
http://www.superstock.com/search/slave%20quar...
While not opulent, they seem to be on par with row houses for miners and RR workers.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#25 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
I'm sorry, I just dont see that knowledge being a burden. You mean those people should feel guilty about what their ancestors did?
<quoted text>
Um, this is actually quite common. It is not a matter of "should," it's a matter of "does." Relatives of people who commit crimes - assault, rape, murder - feel guilt and shame. People who have learned that their ancestors were Nazis have felt shame and embarrassment. Learning that your ancestors owned slaves is not something that most people would just brush off with a casual "Hey, it wasn't me."

Location hidden

#26 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
They did feel guilty (some of them) for how they have benefited financially from it all, even today.(The family is LOADED thanks to the slave trade.)

Location hidden

#27 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
While not opulent, they seem to be on par with row houses for miners and RR workers.
<quoted text>
THe ones in the caribbean apparently were especially bad.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#28 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I would guess it's not about just the cabins, it's about all that's associated with those cabins, i.e. the whipping and the lashing and the shackles and the deprivation of basic human rights and freedom and dignity. It's like I don't see how anyone could look at any living quarters of a Nazi concentration camp without associating what went on at the camp.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#29 Mar 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
They did feel guilty (some of them) for how they have benefited financially from it all, even today.(The family is LOADED thanks to the slave trade.)
Was there anything about any of them doing anything about it, like donating to any charities or anything else?

Location hidden

#30 Mar 12, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Was there anything about any of them doing anything about it, like donating to any charities or anything else?
Not that I recall. But the effect of that visit on the people who were in that family was nearly palpable, so I would hope they'd do SOMETHING. Everyone on that bus was a "cousin" and all of them were independently wealthy--all from the slave trade 150 years earlier.

Neda, stay with me!

#31 Mar 12, 2013
If you say so, like Booth on Bones feel guilt cause he's related to the guy who shot Lincoln.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, this is actually quite common. It is not a matter of "should," it's a matter of "does." Relatives of people who commit crimes - assault, rape, murder - feel guilt and shame. People who have learned that their ancestors were Nazis have felt shame and embarrassment. Learning that your ancestors owned slaves is not something that most people would just brush off with a casual "Hey, it wasn't me."

Neda, stay with me!

#32 Mar 12, 2013
I get your point.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I would guess it's not about just the cabins, it's about all that's associated with those cabins, i.e. the whipping and the lashing and the shackles and the deprivation of basic human rights and freedom and dignity. It's like I don't see how anyone could look at any living quarters of a Nazi concentration camp without associating what went on at the camp.

Location hidden

#33 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
If you say so, like Booth on Bones feel guilt cause he's related to the guy who shot Lincoln.
<quoted text>
Really? I missed that episode where it's discussed. Cool! I love that show.

Location hidden

#34 Mar 12, 2013
And race, I don't think there's anything wrong with your not feeling guilt over something that had nothing to do with you.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#35 Mar 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
Think of it from this angle: you read your great grandma's memoir after she's passed and buried. In it, you find she was molested as a child 60 some years ago. How would you feel about such a revelation? Would you remember her as the grandma who bounced you on her knee and gave you candy? Or would you remember her as a victim of molestation? What would you prefer her final memories, her gift to all her family, to be? Is that necessary, useful knowledge? Or is it something that should probably remain unsaid after all these years? Basically, would it be a benefit to know, or not?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#36 Mar 12, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
i.e. the whipping and the lashing and the shackles
Contrary to popular misconceptions, slaves were not kept chained to walls and whipped and lashed regularly. Slaves were very expensive, about the price of a fancy car (which is why only the wealthy owned them,) and were therefore treated much better than people would believe.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#37 Mar 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrary to popular misconceptions, slaves were not kept chained to walls and whipped and lashed regularly. Slaves were very expensive, about the price of a fancy car (which is why only the wealthy owned them,) and were therefore treated much better than people would believe.
So you wouldn't mind trading places?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#38 Mar 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how hee actions of an ancestor create any burden. Please elaborate on what you mean by burden. Learning something unssvory about an ancestor is not going to change my life in any way.

I have a wife and family. Not knowing having a new job yet and not knowing how much longer I will be employed at my current job is a burden. I know that I need to provide for my family and not just myself. I have responsibilities and obligations. It is a burden to have the uncertain future in front of me. That is my example of a burden. Finding out my grand pappy was a slave trader? How is any more a burden than finding out he was ghandi's advisor.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#39 Mar 12, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So you wouldn't mind trading places?
Free room and board... guaranteed employment... farmer's daughters...

There might be a downside I don't see...

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#40 Mar 12, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
It is a burden to have the uncertain future in front of me. That is my example of a burden. Finding out my grand pappy was a slave trader? How is any more a burden than finding out he was ghandi's advisor.
This isn't about whether or not grandpa was a slave trader, this is about grandfather being sexually abused as a kid. Twice. And this is the first anyone has ever heard of it. This isn't about your own problems, this is about his legacy. Should he share this info with his children and grandchildren and sisters and nieces and cousins or leave it be?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min THE DEVIL 1,101,335
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min litesong 46,375
Michelle Obama, f/k/a MICHAEL LAVAUGHN ROBINSON 29 min FXX 3
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots??? 32 min My Flowers 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Whiny1 4,683
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr I Hate You 49,487
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 7,753
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 177,520
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE