First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“boredom made me do it”

Since: Aug 08

ny, ny

#21 May 10, 2013
Reductio ad absurdum. Yes, there's really no difference between what I support him doing for himself, and allowing him to be a menace to society and damage other people's stuff. /sarcasm.
Kuuipo

Salinas, CA

#22 May 10, 2013
LW1: My cousin is a stereotypical gay man; very creative, loves to sew, was once a fashion designer, and has effeminate mannerisms. I grew up with him and I can testify to the fact that he played with "boy toys" and was a typical, rambunctious little boy. Now my friend's son loved to play with dolls. He grew up to be heterosexual. He got married at 18 and has a baby. The boy is FOUR. Let him play with whateverthehell he wants to play with. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything at this age, IMHO. But what do I know.

LW2: I know couples who met at a young age and are still together. But don't worry about true love just now. Just enjoy this young man and the times you are spending together.

LW3: When I was 18, I had a huge crush on a 27-year old. To his credit, he saw me for the silly teen that I was and did not pursue me. The crush was short-lived anyway, but I speak from experience when I say that 17 is a L O N G way from 25 maturity-wise. So much happens in those years. Find someone no older than 20.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#23 May 10, 2013
the only problem I have with your post is the excessive use of "NO NO!"
Its ok to teach a kid that girls wear dresses and a boy wears pants, but the berating of "NO", will kill whatever point you are trying to make. Kids can learn gender identity without being "punished" Simpy corrected is sufficient.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing wrong with trying to steer him in the right direction.
"No, no, Barbies are for girls, boys play with Transformers."
"No, no, girls use pink, use the blue crayon."
"Dresses are for girls, boys wear suits."
Once he starts school, would you seriously let him show up in a dress on the first day of kindergarten? Tolerance or parenting fail?
There's a saying: Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out.
Come on, peeps.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#24 May 11, 2013
RACE wrote:
Kids can learn gender identity without being "punished"
What the hell is this blathering nonsense? Now it's wrong to say "no" to a child? You're "punishing" your son by not allowing him to wear a dress? You're pulling an argument out of thin air, and doing a bad job of it.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#25 May 11, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
Reductio ad absurdum. Yes, there's really no difference between what I support him doing for himself, and allowing him to be a menace to society and damage other people's stuff./sarcasm.
You said: let the kid play with whatever he wants. Let the kid be himself. Let the kid do whatever.

That is open to interpretation. Now you're gonna start back-peddling, "no, that's not what I meant, no, I didn't mean that, no, that's not what I was saying...."

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#26 May 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You said: let the kid play with whatever he wants. Let the kid be himself. Let the kid do whatever.
That is open to interpretation. Now you're gonna start back-peddling, "no, that's not what I meant, no, I didn't mean that, no, that's not what I was saying...."
I said that, too, Dog. Of course a parent tells a kid No. That's not the issue.

Kids are influenced as much by their peers as by their parents, especially in toys and make believe stuff. Assuming LW's grandson plays with other kids or watches TV, his taste will evolve. Both my girls were in daycare run by major hospital chain with all the early child development experts we could want. The kids played with and as they wanted. Dress up at age 4 was especially hilarious and it all settled out.

The letter is ambiguous whether the parents are taking a hands off or overly controlling position, but either waay, the playmates and teh toystores andthe videos and teh cartons will even things out. If the kid has serious gender identity issues that will show up soon enough.

For the LW and family- they should just chill.

“boredom made me do it”

Since: Aug 08

ny, ny

#27 May 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh look! More reductio ad absurdum. That's your favorite argument technique, huh?

No, there was no context for a reasonable implication that I was talking about toys and reasonable play. None whatsoever./sarcasm.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#28 May 11, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh look! More reductio ad absurdum. That's your favorite argument technique, huh?
No, there was no context for a reasonable implication that I was talking about toys and reasonable play. None whatsoever./sarcasm.
reductio ad changing the meaning of what you're saying-um.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min hillaryfordramaqueen 1,127,262
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 43 min well 50,657
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 56 min jacques Ottawa 179,477
Amy 10-24 3 hr your poor wife 15
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Wolverine33 654
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Ratloder 68,672
Rattlesnake Logic 7 hr i need a bump to 22
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]