5th District race in final lap, will ...

5th District race in final lap, will be close call

There are 54 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 28, 2009, titled 5th District race in final lap, will be close call. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The competitiveness of the Democratic race to replace Rahm Emanuel in Congress was on display Saturday as candidates crisscrossed the North and Northwest Sides to glad hand at bowling alleys, throughout the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hi Ho Silver

Stevensville, MI

#2 Feb 28, 2009
Then I guess you're not counting Fritchey's endorsements by the: Independent Voters of Illinois; AFL-CIO; Illinois Federation of Teachers; Illinois Committee for Honest Government; Chicago Firefighters, among many many others.

Chief Lobbyist? Public records show that he handled one small matter for them years ago. Nice try.

Peddle your b.s. spin somewhere else.
Saras Ex

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 1, 2009
I wonder if Sara's ex husband has settled his Shakman suit yet? He was suddenly relocated to the midnight shift at O'Hare after divorce proceedings began.
It's not a personal matter any more when public money is involved (possilbe lawsuit settlement and ethical violations--- taxpayer funded).
Sara Feigenholtz indicated she's single. For her information that means never married, not divorced. If she can't shoot straight about something as simple as that, what else is she hiding.
By the way----her ex hubby didn't do jack while he was on the day shift. He was a useless hack hire.
IBEW Member

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 1, 2009
Lone Ranger wrote:
The only union endorsements that Itchy got were from the crooks, the thieving Teamsters. You can have them both. Maybe the Teamsters want to support the chief lobbyist for Bank of America for Congress. I don't.
The IBEW endorsed State Representative Fritchey and we'll be out Tuesday.
stale

Skokie, IL

#7 Mar 1, 2009
Saras Ex wrote:
I wonder if Sara's ex husband has settled his Shakman suit yet? He was suddenly relocated to the midnight shift at O'Hare after divorce proceedings began.
It's not a personal matter any more when public money is involved (possilbe lawsuit settlement and ethical violations--- taxpayer funded).
Sara Feigenholtz indicated she's single. For her information that means never married, not divorced. If she can't shoot straight about something as simple as that, what else is she hiding.
By the way----her ex hubby didn't do jack while he was on the day shift. He was a useless hack hire.
You must be intoxicated to think that this convuluted mess of a story you have here matters to voters when they have a constant wrinkle on their face due to money worries.

You've got some nerve.

Get REAL.

Vote the way you want, but this slop you just laid -
LAY OFF.

REAL PEOPLE DON"T WANT IT.

Since: Aug 08

Chicago IL

#8 Mar 1, 2009
IBEW Member wrote:
<quoted text>
The IBEW endorsed State Representative Fritchey and we'll be out Tuesday.

IBEW Local 1220 sent out an email calling attention to Tom Geoghegan and his accomplishments.
IBEW Member

Hickory Hills, IL

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Sweet Old Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
IBEW Local 1220 sent out an email calling attention to Tom Geoghegan and his accomplishments.
IBEW Local 134 is behind Fritchey. Geoghegan is an accomplished man, a good background in labor law and representing working people, but he just isn't in a good position to win.

I'm going with Fritchey.
Damfunny

United States

#10 Mar 1, 2009
Ah, my 5th Congressional District!
we sure do have a lot of fun here

--Dan "Frosty Rosty" Rostenkowski, drunk-driving chairman of the house ways & means committee - the most powerful position in the house - got under a dark cloud of corruption and lost to a rookie. then was convicted of mail fraud and went to Club Fed, until he was pardoned by da Prez.
--Michael "One Term Wonder" Flanagan, a rare republican who beat Rosty when the dems weren't paying attention. Got trounced by Blago when the dems woke up.
--Rod "The Un-reformer" Blagojevich, who would later become guv; had the testicular virility to become the only illinois governor to be impeached and thrown out of office for acts unbecoming a loose cannon.
--Rahm "Evil Incarnate" Emmanuel, the 9-1/2 fingered ballet dancer who was put in office by hoards of Daley's city workers (on city time); he was tossed out of the inner circle by Pres Clinton because Rahm is evil-vindictive-vulgar. meanwhile, Daley's henchmen go off to prison and Rahm goes to be chief of staff for BHO (now there's change we can believe in!)

golly, who will we elect next???
Fed Up

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 1, 2009
I want Quigley to keep annoying the County Board (bet Stroger votes for him on Tuesday, right?). If Fritchey or Feigenholtz win the primary, I'm voting Republican in the election. So tired of the status quo and these two are same old same old.
KAG

El Dorado Hills, CA

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Since the professional oddsmakers are staying out, here's my questionable substitute.

2-1 Quigley
5-2 Feigenholtz
4-1 Fritchey
6-1 O'Connor
19-1 All Others

Quiqley is backed by Sun-Times and Tribune, Feigenholtz has women power, Fritchey Labor, and O'Connor his organization - though he's an alderman.
IBEW Member

Hickory Hills, IL

#14 Mar 1, 2009
Fed Up wrote:
I want Quigley to keep annoying the County Board (bet Stroger votes for him on Tuesday, right?). If Fritchey or Feigenholtz win the primary, I'm voting Republican in the election. So tired of the status quo and these two are same old same old.
I want Quigley to stay on the County Board as well and keep an eye on Stroger. The guy will probably lose votes for this race because people want him there to report on Stroger.

The chances of a Republican winning are nil. Why send a Republican now with a Democratic Administration and Congress. Fritchey would be very effective in bringing back funding to the district.

I think Fritchey has a good chance of winning, but Feigenholtz may benefit with so many men being in the race.
no more dumocrats

Chicago, IL

#15 Mar 1, 2009
vote green or republican, the crooked democrats must be removed from power
Ritchey

University Park, IL

#16 Mar 1, 2009
Amen,machine is killing the taxpayer
Fed Up wrote:
pippin

Cedar Lake, IN

#17 Mar 1, 2009
Quigley has the most political experience, but I want him to stay as a commissioner. My vote goes for Tom Geoghean. He may be new to an elected position, but he is brilliant,honest and will do his best to get things done.
Norway Joe

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 1, 2009
5th District race ... will be close call ...

Most pundits agree--IL 5th CD race is too close to call.

'Friends of Ours' wrote in its blog, "John Fritchey Claims He's 'A Victim of Insinuation.'"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IL5thCD/message...

On to the March 3 primary.

Joe Lake Chicago (Bucktown)
Drew

Bolingbrook, IL

#19 Mar 1, 2009
If you will be voting in the election, immediately dismiss any candidate that has been endorsed by a union, including the teachers union!

That should eliminate several, then eliminate any that are/were associated with da Mayor and his political machine. Do the same with any associated with Crook County...

Labor attorneys - dismiss them as well!

Then, look to see who is left and who will be the best at representing YOU, not a union, Daley, or Crook County!

Good luck!!
IBEW Member

Hickory Hills, IL

#20 Mar 1, 2009
pippin wrote:
Quigley has the most political experience, but I want him to stay as a commissioner. My vote goes for Tom Geoghean. He may be new to an elected position, but he is brilliant,honest and will do his best to get things done.
I just had a Geoghegan campaign worker knocking on the door. I must admit that Geoghegan has been the most effective at utilizing his resources wisely and making contact. His campaign phoned me 4 times and made direct contact. Unlike Feigenholtz and Fritchey, the guy doesn't have deep pockets.

Maybe I will vote for him. I'm Irish and have enjoyed the limericks. The fact that St. Paddy's day isn't too far away may work in his favor.

politwriter

Oak Forest, IL

#21 Mar 1, 2009
I'm just curious as to what motivates a full six -- count them 6 -- Republicans to vie for the honor of getting roundly thumped in the second round. Is it masochism or is it a riverboat gambler's wild hope that perhaps lightning can strike again as with Michael "one term" Flanagan?

Can't these people find meaningful hobbies to fill the void in their lives?
For the future

Chicago, IL

#22 Mar 1, 2009
Actually if you want someone different and smart go for CHARLIE WHEELAN! www.wheelanforcongress.com
David

Redmond, WA

#23 Mar 1, 2009
Wheelan's idea for a govt lien to soak up the excess value in the system is a good one - he's got my vote (and let's put a lien on the property of the super rich who have contributed to this mess). Anyone know where I can recycle all the glossy junk mail that has come in this past month?
Chicago Terry

Plainfield, IL

#24 Mar 1, 2009
For the future wrote:
Actually if you want someone different and smart go for CHARLIE WHEELAN! www.wheelanforcongress.com
Roger that. He is scary smart about the issues that matter most right now and, best of all, he is NOT a professional politician. Keep Quigley on Stroger's ass and send Wheelan to Congress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 13 min Alyssa76 3,670
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr bob53 1,567,013
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Alyssa76 11,035
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Cheech the Conser... 242,123
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2,578
Norcross and his brother invested in troll fact... 3 hr Tony 1
Trump Sounds like a fool 12 hr Average voter 9

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages