“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#22 Jul 9, 2013
Re Mimi's avatar. Interesting but so wrong on so many levels. About the only thing English doesn't borrow is grammar. Like dangling verbs at the end of long convoluted sentences that German does not use. And not putting the adjective after the noun a la French. Not assigning random gender to words and making verbs and articles follow the gender: le la le la la la la.

Achh!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#23 Jul 9, 2013
How many women are going to frown upon a guy paying for the date? I think many women would be okay if they split the bill, but I think for most women you are going to make a better impression by just picking up the tab ... meaning it is something they like in a guy.

So, you can't really ever go wrong by treating a woman you are dating, unless she is of the most militant variety and is all "he is paying for me because he thinks I'm his property and doesn't see me as an equal."

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#24 Jul 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The women's lib movement won't be too happy about this.
I don't think anyone has called it the Women's Lib movement since roughly 1982.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25 Jul 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Re Mimi's avatar. Interesting but so wrong on so many levels. About the only thing English doesn't borrow is grammar. Like dangling verbs at the end of long convoluted sentences that German does not use. And not putting the adjective after the noun a la French. Not assigning random gender to words and making verbs and articles follow the gender: le la le la la la la.
Achh!
Also, English includes many words that are of German and French origin.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#26 Jul 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Women don't like to be treated like a lady?
Women want to be treated with kindness and respect. Hold the door open if you're before me and I'll do the same for you, regardless of gender, age, etc.

But any woman who expects (1) equality and (2) special treatment based on gender is not a feminist, even if she claims to be.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#27 Jul 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
How many women are going to frown upon a guy paying for the date? I think many women would be okay if they split the bill, but I think for most women you are going to make a better impression by just picking up the tab ... meaning it is something they like in a guy.
So, you can't really ever go wrong by treating a woman you are dating, unless she is of the most militant variety and is all "he is paying for me because he thinks I'm his property and doesn't see me as an equal."
What a ridiculous generalization. I pay for many dates, as do most or all of my female friends. None of us is looking to be "taken care of."

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#28 Jul 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Women want to be treated with kindness and respect. Hold the door open if you're before me and I'll do the same for you, regardless of gender, age, etc.
But any woman who expects (1) equality and (2) special treatment based on gender is not a feminist, even if she claims to be.
You are confusing expects with wants or would like. No one is talking about "expect," except for you. I would like a Lamborghini, but I do not expect one.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#29 Jul 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What a ridiculous generalization. I pay for many dates, as do most or all of my female friends. None of us is looking to be "taken care of."
Again, you seem to be hung up on the expects verses like, issue.

I don't think very many women would object to a guy picking up the tab on a date. I also do not feel simply because most women like for men to pick up the tab means that they are "looking to be taken care of."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#30 Jul 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think anyone has called it the Women's Lib movement since roughly 1982.
Then what the hell do they call it now?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31 Jul 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
Nice avatar Mimi!
Thanks.:D

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#32 Jul 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what the hell do they call it now?
Human dignity and equality. Note: NOT SAMENESS, equality under the law and treated as fully functioning adults with their own agency and not the property, wards, or semi-literate airheads of the patriarchy.

I SO don't expect you to understand this. It's way way way too obvious for you, but to this instead of arguing with you (because I don't feel like beating my head against the wall for no reason right now) I will say GTFU and join the 21st century.

Since: May 13

Monterey, CA

#33 Jul 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Women don't like to be treated like a lady?
I like to be treated with respect and cherished.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#34 Jul 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what the hell do they call it now?
At some point a movement morphs into being part of accepted social norms. The abolitionist movement isn't specified any more, neither is the temperance movement nor the sufferance movement. The civil rights movement probably falls in the same category.

US society assumes there is no more official slavery, that people can drink alcohol , that women can vote (hold your smart ass comment) and that blacks can eat at teh same lunch counter as you etc. The same thing has happened with Women's Liberation movement. Many of the things fought for have become accepted parts of society ( and some are still being fought of course but that is not the issue here).

If you need to call "it" something, call it good manners, civility,respect, basic fairness, market force economics.

So, if you get to the door first, you open it.
If you invite a person to join you as your guest, you pick up the tab and if that other person says that he/she will get this round, the answer, is Thanks.

You're welcome.

Since: May 13

Monterey, CA

#35 Jul 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
How many women are going to frown upon a guy paying for the date? I think many women would be okay if they split the bill, but I think for most women you are going to make a better impression by just picking up the tab ... meaning it is something they like in a guy.
So, you can't really ever go wrong by treating a woman you are dating, unless she is of the most militant variety and is all "he is paying for me because he thinks I'm his property and doesn't see me as an equal."
I agree with you, and I consider myself a feminist. Paying for the date, at least the first date, makes a favorable impression. If the guy is on a limited budget, he can suggest dinner at a modest restaurant instead of the pricey, upscale place with an ocean view. A guy who doesn't pay for the first date risks coming across as a cheapskate. That said, many, if not most, women these days are OK with splitting the bill after the first date or two and will offer to do so.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#36 Jul 9, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
I like to be treated with respect and cherished.
I think all women want to be treated with respect and a lot want to feel cherished.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#37 Jul 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think all women want to be treated with respect and a lot want to feel cherished.
And this is different for men how? Everything you've stated about women seem to apply to men as well.

Don't men like to be treated with respect?
Don't men like(not expect) it when a woman picks up the tab?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#38 Jul 9, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>That said, many, if not most, women these days are OK with splitting the bill after the first date or two and will offer to do so.
I agree. I think it's more important at the outset. I also think as a relationship progresses, sharing expenses is a sign that your relationship has progressed and that you are becoming more intertwined.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#39 Jul 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And this is different for men how? Everything you've stated about women seem to apply to men as well.
Don't men like to be treated with respect?
Don't men like(not expect) it when a woman picks up the tab?
Some men DON'T like it when a woman picks up the tab, at least not that frequently. Just saying.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#40 Jul 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And this is different for men how? Everything you've stated about women seem to apply to men as well.
Don't men like to be treated with respect?
Don't men like(not expect) it when a woman picks up the tab?
Maybe you would think it was cool, but I don't think most men want a woman picking up the tab on the first date.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#41 Jul 9, 2013
I also don't know many men who would say they want to be cherished. You're listening to too many Madonna songs, me thinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min NTRPRNR1 1,127,199
John Wick Brings Stylish Bloody Mayhem to Chica... 1 hr Culture Auditor 1
Amy 10-24 1 hr Sublime1 14
2 dead, 7 hurt in shootings since Friday evening 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 4,799
abby 10-25 2 hr RACE 3
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr boundary painter 353
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr jacques Ottawa 179,464
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]