First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#1 Nov 7, 2013
DEAR ABBY: Veterans Day is next week, and I hope you'll address something I have encountered over the years. I am a Navy veteran who served four years as a Seabee. I was one of the first women to be assigned to a combat unit, and I am proud of my service. However, I dread it when Veterans Day rolls around. Why do people assume that because I'm a woman I am not a veteran?

Two years ago, when I went into a restaurant that serves veterans a free meal, the man in front of me was asked if he wanted a veterans' menu. He declined. The hostess did not ask me if I needed one; I had to request it. Later in the meal, the manager went to each of the tables speaking to the veterans, but skipped mine.

Today, many women serve, and it should not be a stretch that some veterans are female. Would you comment, Abby?-- OVERLOOKED IN LEXINGTON, KY.

DEAR OVERLOOKED: Gladly. I can understand why you were offended. However, I hope you realize that what happened occurred because of these people's ignorance, and it wasn't personal. While our armed forces have always been predominantly male, women have officially been part of our military only since World War II.

Many veterans wear hats or other items that identify what branch of the service they were in. To prevent this oversight from happening to you again, wear an insignia next Monday, which is Veterans Day. If you do, it will draw attention to the fact that many women serve in the military, which might be helpful to other female veterans. Thank you for your service to our country.

DEAR ABBY: My wife and I are having a disagreement about texting. She insisted that you can text anyone anytime -- day or night. I feel you shouldn't text after a time when you wouldn't call someone.

Cellphones are set to ring when texts come in just as landlines do. I say if you don't need an immediate response, send an email. What is proper etiquette regarding when people should send texts?-- POLITE IN KATY, TEXAS

DEAR POLITE: I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules of etiquette regarding texting -- yet. But common sense would suggest that if people suspect they "might" disturb someone by texting, then they should refrain. Of course, recipients who don't wish to be interrupted can put their cellphones on silent or turn them off.

If the texts you're arguing about are intruding on time the two of you should be concentrating on each other, I see no reason why they shouldn't be responded to the next day.

DEAR ABBY: Our family is moving into a new house soon. When we were looking at the house, our 10-year-old daughter asked if she could have the bigger bedroom. We said yes, and our 12-year-old son said he "didn't care."

We have been in contract for two months and have gone to see the house several times. When we did our final walk-through, our son pulled my husband aside and said because he is older, he should get the bigger bedroom.

Of course, our daughter is upset. My husband seems to think the older kid should get his way. My thought is that our son had more than two months to speak up, but at the 11th hour the green-eyed monster is emerging. What do you think?-- STARTING ANEW IN OHIO

DEAR STARTING ANEW: I think that at this point, to keep peace in your new home, it would be advisable for your children to draw straws to decide who gets the larger bedroom.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 7, 2013
1- Wah wah wah, "Notice me, notice me!"

2- I agree you shouldn't text when you wouldn't call.

3- Make them share a room.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#3 Nov 7, 2013
1 Thank you for your service, but oh the drama!
wear your uniform or speak up, but quit whining!

2 Who gives a flip, and why are you two even arguing over this?

3 Give her the bigger room, but fill it with something that will reduce the square footage to be equal to the other room. Maybe the dryer or something?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 7, 2013
Lw2: hey gramps, people get email on their phones now. My phone makes more noise for an incoming email than for a text. When I am going to sleep and don't want to hear it, its on me to turn it to vibrate mode.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 Nov 7, 2013
LW1: I think rather than thanking you for your service, we should all thank the folks who served with you for not fragging your PITA.

LW2: Your wife is an inconsiderate moron.

LW3: Give your daughter the room.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Nov 7, 2013
L1: If you look for disrespect, you'll find it. Stop looking for it.

l2: The only people I'd text at weird hours are my boyfriend and a certain female friend. I know she keeps her phone in her bedroom at night,s o I wouldn't text her unless it was an emergency. Nick keeps his charging on the kitchen counter, so I can text him. When I get sicker, he'll keep his phone in his room, so I'll watch the late night/earlymorning texts with him as well.

L3: I agree with Abby -- draw draws, flip a coin, wahtever. I'm the oldest, and I don't think it's fair that the oldest gets the bigger room "jsut because he's older."

I love Race's idea!

Location hidden

#7 Nov 7, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
LW1: I think rather than thanking you for your service, we should all thank the folks who served with you for not fragging your PITA.
heh.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#8 Nov 7, 2013
L1: No, it's not fair. Life isn't fair.

L2: I don't understand people like this. There is a silent mode for a reason people!

L3: Heh. I actually like Edog's response but with a twist. I'd tell them both they have to come to an agreement about which room they get and if they don't by moving day they both have to share the bigger room.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#9 Nov 7, 2013
Toj wrote:
L2: I don't understand people like this. There is a silent mode for a reason people!
this. I don't see texts & emails as phone equivalents. I send them whenever. You respond at your convenience. That's the whole point. With a call, there is more of an expectation of immediate attention. I never leave vm's because the only times i call are when i need to talk right now.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#10 Nov 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> this. I don't see texts & emails as phone equivalents. I send them whenever. You respond at your convenience. That's the whole point. With a call, there is more of an expectation of immediate attention. I never leave vm's because the only times i call are when i need to talk right now.
That's exactly why I love texts. I text when I think of it and figure I'll get a response when they have time.

Some people put way too much thought on the whole phone thing. It is a request to communicate, no one can MAKE you answer, reply or otherwise respond. To believe that someone OWES you a response is the height of egotistical thinking and way too much self-importance.

Location hidden

#11 Nov 7, 2013
My phone is so old-tech, I can set it to zero sound, zero vibration, but if someone leaves a text or VM for me, it will beep every few seconds until I do something with the phone. Nick had to show me how to actually power the phone down so it wouldn't do that.

So I do that every night when I go to bed, but.. it doesn't seem to always work, so I can't figure out what the hell to do.

Nick said if I want a phone taht doesn't piss me off, buy a smart phone. ;)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#12 Nov 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My phone is so old-tech, I can set it to zero sound, zero vibration, but if someone leaves a text or VM for me, it will beep every few seconds until I do something with the phone. Nick had to show me how to actually power the phone down so it wouldn't do that.
So I do that every night when I go to bed, but.. it doesn't seem to always work, so I can't figure out what the hell to do.
I'm buying you a new phone.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#13 Nov 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> this. I don't see texts & emails as phone equivalents. I send them whenever. You respond at your convenience. That's the whole point. With a call, there is more of an expectation of immediate attention. I never leave vm's because the only times i call are when i need to talk right now.
I keep the volume on in case of some middle of the night emergency. So have some consideration and don't send me some stupid dancing kitten text at 11:30 pm!
pde

Palatine, IL

#14 Nov 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oh, a smartphone will piss you off, just in different ways.

Mine I can set to be completely, absolutely quiet for a certain period of time (it won't ring or beep or buzz, or anything). It is set to be that way from 11:30pm to 6:00am.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#15 Nov 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep the volume on in case of some middle of the night emergency. So have some consideration and don't send me some stupid dancing kitten text at 11:30 pm!
Most phones have a separate volume for texts and phone -- look into your settings. On my phone it wasn't readily apparent, I had to go into the settings to change it.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#16 Nov 7, 2013
LW1: Wear your uniform.

LW2: What Tonka said with a side of RACE.

LW3: Throw them in the Thunderdome.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#17 Nov 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
For you? Obama speech youtube links emailed every 10 minutes from midnight to 6am.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#18 Nov 7, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
LW2: Your wife is an inconsiderate moron.
LW3: Give your daughter the room.
1. I agree.Let people know you are a veteran. I knew a guy who had been fragged in Vietnam. He was a PITA and a creep when I knew him 15 years after discharge.

2. I bet your wife gets PO'd when she texts someone and tey don't respond immediately, too. I have an S3. I can allow the phone to ring and silence system notifications. The phone stays in my purse which stays downstairs. If its an emergency, call. Otherwise it can wait.

3 I agree with Sub. Both were given an opportunity to choose. Son chose. He should not be allowed to renege either because he is the boy or because he is older. Frigging spoiled brat and it will be a lifelong issue for the son and daughter if you give in.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#19 Nov 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you on this one. My parents are older, so I keep it on for that. My dad has seizures once in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. That scared me.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#20 Nov 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>For you? Obama speech youtube links emailed every 10 minutes from midnight to 6am.
Fine, I'll email you tea party blogs every morning at 4 am.

( I get up early and am an hour ahead of you)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 min GEORGIA 2,709
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,395,855
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min JRB 216,892
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 24 min CrunchyBacon 102,523
last post wins! (Dec '10) 32 min Retired SOF 2,147
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 32 min Into The Night 60,123
last post wins! (Apr '13) 32 min Retired SOF 1,122
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages