Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6-3 in Chicago Cubs debut

Left-hander Tom Gorzellany turned his first appearance for the Cubs into his best of the season, allowing only three hits and driving in a run Tuesday night for a 6-3 victory over the Reds that kept the Cubs in first place for another day. Full Story
Greg

Springfield, IL

#137 Aug 5, 2009
long time cub fan wrote:
As the late great Harry Carry once said about another errant Cubs left fielder Kieth Morland " That Morland you couldn't hide him behind the Statute of Liberty" This applies to Soriano. He couldn't Catch a cold in a room full of viruses.(maybe a #3 washtub instead of a glove)??
Keith Moreland played right field. The butcher in left was Dave Kingman back in the day.
South Southside Cubs Fan

Germantown, TN

#138 Aug 5, 2009
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. That why I asked if he had heard someone mention something specific because seemingly, Soto does just fine. The 7,8,9 hitters have been NON existent since Hill has been in. I appreciate what the guy has done, no doubt, but lets not start foolishly inserting him into the starting lineup because he has "earned it". Im sorry, we dont have time for that right now.
The 7,8,9 blackhole is why I have now become an Aaron Miles fan

obviously the guy has stunk since being a Cub ... but at least his injury has proven we don't have any other real good options at 2B ... how many guys have we paraded out there?

Anyway, the worst season the guy has ever posted is .263 which is 30 points above Fontenot right now

Take out that worse season, and prior to coming to the Cubs he is a .296 career ture switch hitter (5 seasons)... Bradley has now caused me to define switch hitter ... Miles has hit .283 from both sides over his entire career

At least he has proven he can play an entire season ... plus the dude hit .317 /.290 last year and the year before

Let's show this guy some love and pull real hard for him ... in spite of the fact he is probably the reason we didn't get Sanchez

he is ready to come off the DL ... put him in the 8 spot and leave him alone
cubbaholic

Taylors, SC

#139 Aug 5, 2009
nice win and great effort from Gorzo, but another gas can incindiary job by the "closer of the week". They better be up by at least 5 going into the ninth before any of these blow torches come in and try to save it.
James

United States

#140 Aug 5, 2009
Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
I just hate hearing about how well a catcher handles a staff. I heard it here in Houston for several years with Ausmus. He couldn't hit to save his life, but he sure could handle Oswalt, Clemens, and Petitte. Yeah right, because those guys were trash before he came along.
Hey, I'm not saying Koyie Hill is the second coming of Johnny Bench, but he's been solid as an every day fill-in for Soto. It's not easy catching every day for 6 weeks or however long Soto's been out, but Hill's done it. He's a solid defensive catcher, throws guys out, gets a hit every once in a while. He's a capable backup catcher who's enabled the Cubs to keep an extra pitcher or position player around since Soto's been down. Give the guy some props.
WBrown Memphis

Orange Park, FL

#141 Aug 5, 2009
I don't have statistics in front of me but I do know the Cubs' record with Hill at catcher this year is very good. And I think the pitchers enjoy throwing to him, not that they don't Soto, but they like him behind the plate. Obviously this is a strong staff so the catching part may be a touch overrated, but Hill has been a rock back there the last month. Soto, is overweight and I think reveled too much in his ROY from last year and has way under performed this year. I hope when he comes back he is dynamite. But don't hate on Hill...like it or not, Lou has asked him to catch a billion games in a row and do both sides of a Double Header. I like his defense and his arm, and his bat, yes it does suck. I am just saying I think he has done a good job with the circumstance.

As far as Miles, he is terrible. Let Fontenot play everyday, no need to run Miles out there to give the team another mendoza line hitter.

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#142 Aug 5, 2009
Max wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Guzman's have been confused with in these points. The Cubs had Jose Guzman not Juan Guzman. Juan Guzman started his career with Toronto and ended with Baltimore.
You are correct, he should have said Jose Guzman. Jaun Guzman won two rings with tthe Blue Jays, and we definealty didn't get that guy...
TOM COTNER

Hurleyville, NY

#143 Aug 5, 2009
1. Congrats to GORZO for an extremely fine performance in his CUBBIE debut. I have wanted to see this guy in a CUB blue uniform for some time, along with the PIRATES other lefty, PAUL MAHOLM, but I guess the 2nd 1/2 will have to wait until his contract expires.

2. Any kind of consistency to his 2007 form and 14 PIRATE victories, would equate to 20+ wins in a CUB jersey.

3. SORIANO was in a deep deep NITE DREAM of daytime activities when he attempted to catch the fly ball in his usual laclustre method of not being able to concentrate on the game.

4. 18,000 fans ??? Totally unacceptable for a ballpark that is as attractive as G.A.P. 1 sellout every season; the opening day. Wowser, TOO BAD SO SAD !!!

5. TOMMY BRENAMAN, one of the REDS announcers may just be looking for a new team to broadcast for in the 2010 season after he once again drilled his team for their style of play, abundant errors, and inability to win key games.
All CUB fans everywhere should be wishing to have the CINCY RED colorman, CHRIS WELCH on our TV broadcasts, as the comments he brings to the game and his style are totally unmatched by anything that the CUB announcers can offer as competition.

6. I am nominating ANGEL GUZMAN to be the new CUB closer, effective IMMEDIATELY !!! And the new 8th inning set up man should be ARRON HEILMAN, assuming he can pitch as well against other teams, as he does against the MARLINS.
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#144 Aug 5, 2009
Prince Fielder charges the Dodgers Club House after the game? He got hit by a pitch - how could they miss? Russell Martin says, "bring him on, after all it's 25 against one." Hey Russell - he has the weight advantage over your 25. What a complete classless idiot. The Cards and Cubs are having fun (?)- well sort of, and the Brewers are tanking. Fielder has zero class. He should be suspended but we'll see what Pud does.
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#145 Aug 5, 2009
Hey Lou - when you play the Cardinals in September just bring up three pitchers from the minors that no one has ever hear of and start them in the three games. You'll shut them out as long as the Cardinals don't hit the ball to left field.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

#146 Aug 5, 2009
Art wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, and no Sox fans ever say things in Cubs threads....no...that never happens.
The Sox fans that usually come over here aren't even very good on the Sox threads...
Now you'll have me for a few more weeks because of 16 losses, that Tenn. hick and Cub Talk.

not really here to help,
Nada
South Southside Cubs Fan

Germantown, TN

#147 Aug 5, 2009
the wheels are / are going to come off the wagon on that "vaunted" Cards pitching

9-0 Mutts ... Cards have trotted out 5 guys and they are through the 8th yet

Pineiro got rocked last night as well

let's go 1 game up tonight
South Southside Cubs Fan

Germantown, TN

#148 Aug 5, 2009
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>The Sox fans that usually come over here aren't even very good on the Sox threads...
Now you'll have me for a few more weeks because of 16 losses, that Tenn. hick and Cub Talk.
not really here to help,
Nada
l.o.l..... you included

your fellow SU X fans hate you even more on their boards than we do here

do you come over here for a hug every once in a while little fella?

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#149 Aug 5, 2009
TOM COTNER wrote:
5. TOMMY BRENAMAN, one of the REDS announcers may just be looking for a new team to broadcast for in the 2010 season after he once again drilled his team for their style of play, abundant errors, and inability to win key games.
All CUB fans everywhere should be wishing to have the CINCY RED colorman, CHRIS WELCH on our TV broadcasts, as the comments he brings to the game and his style are totally unmatched by anything that the CUB announcers can offer as competition.
You say one Reds announcer is available but you then mention both of them. Who is the one looking for a new home? And why would you want Thom Brennaman? Beside the fact that he started with the Cubs and we already showed him the door, his father Marty is an ardent Cub hater, and Thom pretty much tortured Cub fans in the 2003 NLCS in the cursed 8th inning.

I happen to think Bob Brennley is a fantastic color guy, almost on par with Stoney.
Nada Surf

#150 Aug 5, 2009
Lou wrote:
Nada Surf
Tempe, AZ
I don't pay that close attention to the Cubs...
I know they were within five outs of the Series, but whatever year, we all knew they weren't going to get in there, now didn't we?
Someone,like Nada Surf who posts several times everytime there is any thing written about Cubs, FOLLOWS the Cubs.
The Cubs must be the ONLY major league team in any sport where the fans who 'hate' them follow them as much as the fans who 'love' them.
You're right, I do hate the Cubs, actually more of their hard-core fans is what I hate.
I covered the Cubs a few times in the spring and they're good guys, especially Hoffpauer, who is quite funny.
I've always liked Piniella, who is also quite amusing.
I don't really follow them. I only have enough time to watch the better Chicago team at nite and often on rerun as I'm an official scorer at nites often in the summer.
Nada Surf

#151 Aug 5, 2009
Art wrote:
<quoted text>
And how does it make someone a coward b/c they changed their user name?
Did you challenge him to a fight or something previously and he ran from you, or in your "candy coated shell brain" you think that because you had some encounters on a thread with a guy and now he changed his name that you won your argument and are now somehow more manly because of it? Is that it? Do you lay in your feces and sperm riddled bed at night and smile because you one-upped a guy on a Chicago Tribune sports thread? Do you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are awesome because you think your lame posts are somehow witty enough to where you think if you used this sharp wit of yours near a woman that she'd actually talk to you, and maybe *gasp* even kiss you on the mouth for the first time in your life?
Lame...
Is your nickname "Lame?"
Doug

Chicago, IL

#152 Aug 5, 2009
Stephen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mets are terrible, but Santana started the game and that was the Mets best chance to win. Unfortunately, St. Louis will probably smash the Mets today.
Isn't it funny how baseball works. You throw one of the best pitchers in the game one day and lose. The next day you throw a rookie who gets hurt early and have to turn to the same bullpen that blew the game yesterday and you are up big. That's why the whole "well they're playing a bad team" argument is meaningless. This isn't college football. You don't get points taken off because you were favored to beat Bowling Green by 25 and only beat them by 10. A win against the Reds counts as much as a win against the Dodgers.

In a 162 game schedule, the quality of teams you play pretty much evens out and it's just silly to argue that a win against a bad team means nothing because the team you are chasing in the standings just beat a better team on some random day during the season. The Cardinals play the Reds as much as we do, give or take a game. They've had their chances to beat up on them just like we are doing right now.
Nada Surf

#153 Aug 5, 2009
Citizen Kane wrote:
<quoted text>Nada Surf is out here all the time, forever posting comments trashing the Cubs and their fans. He's a Sox fan, and will engage back and forth with you, he'll even challenge you when he comes to Chicago like he's going to beat you up or something. He can be amusing, and he's not always wrong. So go ahead and engage him, it can be entertaining. You're right about the Cubs, people who hate them seem to spend more time on Cubs forums bashing them, the typical second-class citizen syndrome. Of course there really aren't too many Sox forums and on those that exist you rarely see a Cubs fan talking trash... maybe these guys are lonely. But forums need guys like Nada. Hey Nada - stay thirsty my friend.
I've never challenged anyone to a fight on here...
I'm merely trying to get some of the internet bullies to come out of their homes and state some of this stuff in public.
For example, I would love to see 16 Losses come out of his Winnetka home and head on down toward the south side and tell some of those people at a hot dog stand how dirty and educated they are.
I'd even pay for the hot dog.
Nada Surf

#154 Aug 5, 2009
Jay Mariotti wrote:
<quoted text>
So now it's a bad thing that the Cubs take care of business against the teams they're supposed to?
I think you need to start worrying why you're team doesn't get it done against the Clevelands and KCs of the world...
**** White Sock Fans I tell ya....
Don't be mistake, Jay.
All of Chicago and Iowa are proud that the Cubs have manhandled AAA teams Washington, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
Nada Surf

#155 Aug 5, 2009
Joe Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? The Cards spent the money, the Cubs did nothing at the deadline...
You're a pretty bright guy, Joe.
The Cubs entered the year at 134 mll while the Cardinals were at 77 mil.
That would be pretty embarrassing if the Cubs don't beat them out, don't you think?
Just another embarrassing year coming up for a Cub fan like you, huh?
Doug

Chicago, IL

#156 Aug 5, 2009
South Southside Cubs Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
dude, the Peavy signing has already been called one of the worst deadline signings in history
By whom? Remember, the Diamondbacks traded for Curt Schilling at the deadline in 2000 and went nowhere. However in 2001, both Schilling and Johnson were together for the entire season and of course the end result was a World Series championship.

Now, maybe Peavy won't help too much this season. Maybe he will only start 5 games for the Sox. But I do have to say, they have some good pitching ready for 2010. Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd. Should be a solid rotation.

Of course the risk is that maybe Peavy is not as good after the injury or mabye he gets hurt again or maybe he's not as good in the hitter-friendly AL and in the hitter-friendly Cell. I can see Richard having a decent career in San Diego and we don't know how good Poreda is going to be yet, and with all the money that's owed to Peavy we'll have to see what they do with Dye and if they have to trade Konerko or not. So there are some risks, but it could turn out to work very well for them in 2010.

And that's all coming from a die-hard Cubs fan too. Good luck....and by the way I am now sold on Beckham. I just hope Josh Vitters makes the same impact a year or two from now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you find smoking attractive? (No posts about... 2 min Girly girl 7
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 min JOEL 69,974
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 53 min KiMare 50,588
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 59 min wojar 179,265
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr sonicfilter 1,124,815
Chicago a model city 5 hr Just me 6
Father Of Hans Peterson Speaks Out (Oct '07) 6 hr Getagrip 44
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]