Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6...

Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6-3 in Chicago Cubs debut

There are 192 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 4, 2009, titled Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6-3 in Chicago Cubs debut. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Left-hander Tom Gorzellany turned his first appearance for the Cubs into his best of the season, allowing only three hits and driving in a run Tuesday night for a 6-3 victory over the Reds that kept the Cubs in first place for another day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

16 losses

Gurnee, IL

#27 Aug 4, 2009
South Southside Cubs Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Acually, Pujols had nothing to do with it ...
It was another reliever that did us in ... this time K-Rod .... goes into the 9th with a 2 run lead .... gives up 2 ... Pujols had nothing to do with either run
Closer has to shut them down with a 2 run lead to start the ninth ... loss is squarely on his shoulders.
haha ya your right...his 2 HOME RUNS AND 5 RBIs had nothing to do with their 5 RUN WIN
Mark

Chicago, IL

#28 Aug 4, 2009
Of course he's excellent. He's a Sox fan from the south side!
Rich G

Bloomingdale, IL

#29 Aug 4, 2009
Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a bet you will lose. He is straight and honest.
He's been challenged on his 'go ahead and test me every day' boast. We're still waiting.
Stephen

Houston, TX

#30 Aug 4, 2009
Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a bet you will lose. He is straight and honest.
Nobody knows for sure and it would be 100% naive not to suspect that he is juicing, especially after the names that keep coming out.
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#31 Aug 4, 2009
Cub Fan wrote:
<quoted text>100 years,corked bat,steroids,smelly stadium with rats,1918 scandal,bartman,goat,69 season,2008 season,mental old man yelling santo santo santo,Throwing back home runs,89 season,I LOVE BEING A CUB FAN....
Now that's funny.
jim in arizona

Show Low, AZ

#32 Aug 4, 2009
can you say G O R Z E L A N N Y ?

LETS GO CUBBIES!!!!!!!!!!

the CUBS have plenty of starting pitching
they have the hitters as well
BUT (there's that BUT word) their relief
pitching wiol l give us ALL heart atacks or ulsers!

PRAY very hard fellow CUBS fans (that the CUBS can
get some of these guys in the bullpen to get ON track!)
gee

United States

#33 Aug 4, 2009
You know what so great about tonight's game???
NO Gregg or Marmol to fret over.
Damm Pittsburgh fans have to be infuriated at their team. They are nothing but a "Farm" system for contending teams.
Now let's sweep these Reds before they wake up from their "malaise".
Hungry Cub Fan

United States

#34 Aug 4, 2009
Cub Fan wrote:
<quoted text>100 years,corked bat,steroids,smelly stadium with rats,1918 scandal,bartman,goat,69 season,2008 season,mental old man yelling santo santo santo,Throwing back home runs,89 season,I LOVE BEING A CUB FAN....
Don't forget Smokie Links, Pro's Pizza. Frosty Malts, and my favorite -- the Oscar Meyer Hotdog thrown on the counter into a puddle or water/beer which was immediately soaked up by the bun.
nom nom

Buchanan Dam, TX

#35 Aug 4, 2009
from one tom to another born on july 12th and from evergreen, great job, welcome to the dark side.
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#37 Aug 4, 2009
16 losses wrote:
Gorzo has already made a bigger/better impact than peavy will this season...
holla atcha boiii...great move Hendry
What a clown! Ready to give out the Cy Young after one start! Peavy hasn't pitched yet
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#38 Aug 4, 2009
Cub Talk wrote:
Cubs Win
Sox Win
Cardinals Win
Like to keep score of the pitchers who got traded to Chicago teams at trading dead line with number of wins so far.
Gorzanny - 1
Peavy - DL
You can get a pizza at the new Dallas Football Stadium for $90. And that is only with cheese!
Look for more Cub fans at visiting stadiums than local team fans.
Ozzie wants Peavy to pitch that make-up game against the Cubs.
Bring it on!
I do remember when a new Cub pitcher with high expectations came to the Cubs and threw a shut out in his first start. It was his best game with the Cubs, and he went down hill from there. Remember Juan Guzman? he went back to Texas later on after being on the DL too much.
Top of the 4th, Dodgers leading the Brew Crew by 4. Say goodbye to the Brewers.
Say goodbye to the Mets.
Break up those Rockies. Five in a row, and we are heading to the Rockies in the next series.
Mark Prior Career 2001 - 2009 R.I.P. Blame it on Dusty Baker! Prior does have a college degree, so he will be a great financial stock broker to someone.
Time to put D. Lee's name on the short list of MVP's.
How is Peavy's ankle doing these days?
Better than your brain!
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#39 Aug 4, 2009
16 losses wrote:
<quoted text>
haha ya your right...his 2 HOME RUNS AND 5 RBIs had nothing to do with their 5 RUN WIN
... he also scored three runs and was 4 out of 5
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#40 Aug 4, 2009
Rich G wrote:
<quoted text>
He's been challenged on his 'go ahead and test me every day' boast. We're still waiting.
What Albert is doing isn't that much different from what he has done since his first season in 2001. He responded the way he did because he gets heat due to the fact that there are so many cheaters. In Albert we are all seeing one of the great players of all time. He is humble to a fault and always gives his teammates credit.

He is not one of the 25 highest paid players in baseball - he is 39th. He is the most respected player in the game.

A-Rod makes 20 million a year more than Albert and we all know he cheated. Three Cubs make more than Albert does - even Soriano. Albert goes about his business and never complains. No matter the team, I always appreciate truly great players. We all should appreciate what we are seeing.

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#41 Aug 4, 2009
Cub Talk wrote:
I do remember when a new Cub pitcher with high expectations came to the Cubs and threw a shut out in his first start. It was his best game with the Cubs, and he went down hill from there. Remember Juan Guzman? he went back to Texas later on after being on the DL too much.
It was against the Braves, it was the 2nd game of the season. Greg Maddux pitched his first game of his career as a Brave against the Cubs the day before against Mike Morgan.

The Jaun Guzman game was not only a shutout, but it was a no hitter until two outs in the ninth when Otis Nixon broke it up with an outfield single. I was a freshman in high school and begged my teacher to put the game on! I was convincing because he did.
Roger

Saint Louis, MO

#42 Aug 4, 2009
WBrown Memphis wrote:
I totally agree D Lee has carried this team for so long. Don't look now but he is approaching the offensive leaders in some categories after most of you buried him earlier this season.
Great start by Gorz...not sure how to spell the rest. But anyway, he threw great and I can only hope he can repeat this performance.
Damn cardinals, they always, always find a way to win. Pujlos is an unreal player.
I agree with you completely. Derek Lee is the player that will bring the Cubs around. I look at him the way I look a Pujols - both class guys and where would their teams be without them? Derek Lee is the best player on the Cubs but, Zambrano, Soriano and Ramirez all make more money that Lee. Lee and Pujols have both won gold gloves also. No justice for either of them.
Rorschach

Las Vegas, NV

#43 Aug 4, 2009
I can't believe we traded the Great Kevin Hart for this bum.
Boston CubsFan

Dracut, MA

#44 Aug 4, 2009
So what is it with this Team that can consistently get good to great starting pitching but can't seem to get anything going in relief?
You'd think whatever it is they have going for themselves to get good starts out of whomever they put out there would be evidenced by some good relief pitching but it isn't even close.
The Reds are the worst hitting team in baseball right now and they are teeing up on the Cubs bullpen.
Imagine playing the Cards right now in StL. Their lineup will carve a hole in the Cubs relief corps. Hopefully by the time they meet up the Cards will have a mini slump.

Aside from that, what ever got into Hendry to sign Soriano to such a big contract? The guy is horrible in the field and isn't ThAT great a hitter. He is a sucker for the outside and away slider. Any pitcher that walks him should get instantly sent down to the minors.

So, Colorado is the 2nd highest scoring team in the nL recently. We will get to see if the Cubs starting pitching is for real quite soon. Although the Cubs have owned the Rockies over the last few years. I was bummed the Cubs didn't get to play them two years ago in the playoffs. As hot as they were at the time, I thought the Cubs could have beat them.
gee

United States

#45 Aug 4, 2009
Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you completely. Derek Lee is the player that will bring the Cubs around. I look at him the way I look a Pujols - both class guys and where would their teams be without them? Derek Lee is the best player on the Cubs but, Zambrano, Soriano and Ramirez all make more money that Lee. Lee and Pujols have both won gold gloves also. No justice for either of them.
OK Rodger.. I'd save the "Sainthood" praise for BOTH men until that list is FULLY disclosed.

Not that I'm "Cynical" or anything, I've just learned that none of these guys are BEYOND REPROACH...

I hope and pry NEITHER of these guys are on that list. It would probably "decimate" Card fans if his(Pujols) name came out as being on that list.

Quite frankly, you can't discount ANY Ball player these days.
Nada Surf

Mesa, AZ

#47 Aug 4, 2009
16 losses wrote:
goddamn pujols...its literally unfair...we should take bets on when he gets busted for roids
Gonna be a bit rough for you, huh?
Pujols will keep the Cubs out of the playoffs after the Cubs spent all that money to pay their way in.
Funny isn't it?
Stephen

Houston, TX

#51 Aug 4, 2009
Remember Palmiero wagging his finger to Congress? Remember Clemens testifying in front of Congress? Remember Ortiz calling for mandatory anonymous testing and full season bans for those that get caught?

They were all cheaters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Earl 1,509,144
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 min Juan ortega 105,056
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr believed 239,483
Obama has LEAK under sink. 8 hr TroyTheRealPlumber 39
Graduation in Detroit. 9 hr Beyond Stoooopid 3
The Scoop on Weiner. 9 hr Weiners A weiner 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael Madigan as ? 9 hr HANG MADIGAN 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages