Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6-3 in Chicago Cubs debut

There are 190 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 4, 2009, titled Tom Gorzelanny excellent in winning 6-3 in Chicago Cubs debut. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Left-hander Tom Gorzellany turned his first appearance for the Cubs into his best of the season, allowing only three hits and driving in a run Tuesday night for a 6-3 victory over the Reds that kept the Cubs in first place for another day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Quixote

Highwood, IL

#1 Aug 4, 2009
Gorzellany gets formally initiated into the fraternity of strong starters who spend the last few innings in the dugout chewing their fingernails down to the bone.
raymond burr oaks

Naperville, IL

#2 Aug 4, 2009
The good news it indeed was a nice outing by Gorzy. He was all over the strike zone, up-down-in&out. A nice mixing of 4 pitches kept the Reds off balance. The other side is that other than Votto, there are few bonafide major league hitters on the Reds. Of course their bums started to hit the Cub bullpen late. Waiting for disaster and hoping for the best after the 7th is not a good way to go into the stretch run. Beat a few good teams consistently and get back to me.
16 losses

Gurnee, IL

#3 Aug 4, 2009
Gorzo has already made a bigger/better impact than peavy will this season...

holla atcha boiii...great move Hendry
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#4 Aug 4, 2009
Cubs win. White Sox win. Summer and baseball are heating up in the great city of Chicago. Hope springs eternal and life is good.
NW Fold Art

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Aug 4, 2009
Nice game by Gorzellany. Keep Guzman away from Marmol and Gregg. Its rubbing off. And is Soriano slipping back into his old ways. Last four games he is 2 for 16..125 avg. 5 strikouts and 7 lob. And no rbis. Also what did soriano do or not do to allow Rosales to get a triple on a line drive into left field in the ist. I had to follow the game on "Gameday"
South Southside Cubs Fan

Germantown, TN

#7 Aug 4, 2009
Let's Go Gorzo!!
However

Edmond, OK

#9 Aug 4, 2009
Gorzellany WAS great. But Guzman gives up a two-run homer in a mop-up job as Lou's designated closer.

And meantime, the Cardinals came back against one of the best closers in baseball in the 9th inning to tie.

And in the 10th inning, made it look academic with a single run followed by another Pujols grand slam.

"The Cardinals are coming tra la tra la" as Harry used to sing when he was still in the good graces of Gussie Busch.

The Cubs had better get it all together because they only have three games left --- and they all are in STL.
However

Edmond, OK

#10 Aug 4, 2009
Gorzellany WAS great. But Guzman gives up a two-run homer in a mop-up job as Lou's designated closer.

And meantime, the Cardinals came back against one of the best closers in baseball in the 9th inning to tie.

And in the 10th inning, made it look academic with a single run followed by another Pujols grand slam.

"The Cardinals are coming tra la tra la" as Harry used to sing when he was still in the good graces of Gussie Busch.

The Cubs had better get it all together because they only have three games left against the Cardinals --- and they all are in STL.

Since: Jul 09

Bettendorf, IA (via Cary, IL)

#11 Aug 4, 2009
NW Fold Art wrote:
Nice game by Gorzellany. Keep Guzman away from Marmol and Gregg. Its rubbing off. And is Soriano slipping back into his old ways. Last four games he is 2 for 16..125 avg. 5 strikouts and 7 lob. And no rbis. Also what did soriano do or not do to allow Rosales to get a triple on a line drive into left field in the ist. I had to follow the game on "Gameday"
He dropped the ball while jumping next to the outfield wall. Technically, it's not an error, but I'm pretty sure most other outfielders would have caught it. I think Fox should start in left tomorrow. If Soriano isn't hitting, he doesn't offer much.
Cub Talk

Hinsdale, IL

#12 Aug 4, 2009
Cubs Win

Sox Win

Cardinals Win

Like to keep score of the pitchers who got traded to Chicago teams at trading dead line with number of wins so far.

Gorzanny - 1

Peavy - DL

You can get a pizza at the new Dallas Football Stadium for $90. And that is only with cheese!

Look for more Cub fans at visiting stadiums than local team fans.

Ozzie wants Peavy to pitch that make-up game against the Cubs.

Bring it on!

I do remember when a new Cub pitcher with high expectations came to the Cubs and threw a shut out in his first start. It was his best game with the Cubs, and he went down hill from there. Remember Juan Guzman? he went back to Texas later on after being on the DL too much.

Top of the 4th, Dodgers leading the Brew Crew by 4. Say goodbye to the Brewers.

Say goodbye to the Mets.

Break up those Rockies. Five in a row, and we are heading to the Rockies in the next series.

Mark Prior Career 2001 - 2009 R.I.P. Blame it on Dusty Baker! Prior does have a college degree, so he will be a great financial stock broker to someone.

Time to put D. Lee's name on the short list of MVP's.

How is Peavy's ankle doing these days?
flappy

United States

#14 Aug 4, 2009
read some of the comments in the "Gorzelanny to start" article.

Pretty funny stuff there.
Brian

Mount Pleasant, SC

#15 Aug 4, 2009
Great game for the Marist High alum!!(Even if he is a Sox fan)
Seattle Mike

Bothell, WA

#17 Aug 4, 2009
Don't feel too sorry for Mark Prior- other what could have been. He is around 30, retired with a net worth of about 10-20 million. He will probably be a stock broker for his own fortune!
BooThisMan

Mexico, Mexico

#18 Aug 4, 2009
AAA pitcher shuts down AAA team.
Oh Well

Chicago, IL

#19 Aug 4, 2009
Great game - too bad the sh*# eating Mets couldn't close agains Slut-Louis tonight. The bullpen still is making things interesting against the worst team in the division. I wonder if Marmol, Guzman,(aka the Midas Man with his glasses), Gregg,(aka "I blow the save, the game and everyone") need a trip to AA. Also wonder if Lou's ticker will make it through the end of August.
Nice

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 4, 2009
I have no comment
HolyCow2

Dallas, TX

#23 Aug 4, 2009
Hopefully he can keep that up!
WBrown Memphis

Memphis, TN

#24 Aug 4, 2009
I totally agree D Lee has carried this team for so long. Don't look now but he is approaching the offensive leaders in some categories after most of you buried him earlier this season.

Great start by Gorz...not sure how to spell the rest. But anyway, he threw great and I can only hope he can repeat this performance.

Damn cardinals, they always, always find a way to win. Pujlos is an unreal player.
WBrown Memphis

Memphis, TN

#25 Aug 4, 2009
Mark Prior is terrible.
16 losses

Gurnee, IL

#26 Aug 4, 2009
Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a bet you will lose. He is straight and honest.
eh...wouldnt be so sure...we prolly woulda said the same thing about Arod and Manny not too long ago.

pujols is on a bonds like pace...the guys a great talent, prolly the best ever but theres a reason bonds, sosa, and mcgwire were able to hit similar to pujols is and no one else in history has

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,231,831
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Jacques from Orleans 189,582
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 52 min Earthling-1 53,451
Ill have those negras voting Democratic for t... 1 hr WillNAZIsDelete 1
Amy 5-22-15 2 hr mrs gladys kravitz 7
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr not a ghost 5,986
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 4 hr not a ghost 1,178
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr editor 99,531
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]