Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated Jan 31, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 31, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I've never witnessed anyone use food stamps to buy groceries.
So, using edogg logic, that has probably only ever happened once.
You wouldn't know if someone was using food stamps, because its just like a credit card. They switched to ebt cards for food stamps in the 90s so that people were not embarrassed to use them.

It made liberals hearts bleed that someone might actually feel shame and embarrassment for being a ward of the state ... and as an added benefit it's good policy to remove every and all possible incentive to get off of them, inducing shame ... nope keep em on them ... more votes that way.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#22 Jan 31, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>You wouldn't know if someone was using food stamps, because its just like a credit card. They switched to ebt cards for food stamps in the 90s so that people were not embarrassed to use them.

It made liberals hearts bleed that someone might actually feel shame and embarrassment for being a ward of the state ... and as an added benefit it's good policy to remove every and all possible incentive to get off of them, inducing shame ... nope keep em on them ... more votes that way.
Including shame, I meant.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#23 Jan 31, 2013
I worked in a grocery store near a rather poor part of town for a good year. Food stamp abuse was very rare.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24 Jan 31, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know if someone was using food stamps, because its just like a credit card. They switched to ebt cards for food stamps in the 90s so that people were not embarrassed to use them.
It made liberals hearts bleed that someone might actually feel shame and embarrassment for being a ward of the state ... and as an added benefit it's good policy to remove every and all possible incentive to get off of them, inducing shame ... nope keep em on them ... more votes that way.
I wasn't about embarrassment and shame -- it was a cheaper way to dispense the funds, made it more difficult for people to sell their benefits to others, etc.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#25 Jan 31, 2013
also: Using the EBT card makes it easier to keep people from buying non-food items -- the system won't allow it.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Jan 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't about embarrassment and shame -- it was a cheaper way to dispense the funds, made it more difficult for people to sell their benefits to others, etc.
That is true, but stigma was part of it too:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/ar...

While it may cost less, I bet it also lessens the incentive to get off ... thus increasing costs. You can bet a lot of folks would be embarrassed as all hell if everyone in line had to watch and wait for them to pull out their stamp book and pay with stamps ...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#27 Jan 31, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
While it may cost less, I bet it also lessens the incentive to get off ... thus increasing costs. You can bet a lot of folks would be embarrassed as all hell if everyone in line had to watch and wait for them to pull out their stamp book and pay with stamps ...
No, judging by the shoppers at the grocery closest to my home, there is no shame at all. The woman behind me was missing teeth and using her EBT card to buy candy and fake fruit juice for her kids (so, not even the relatively healthy stuff with high % of juice in it).

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#28 Jan 31, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you're either not paying attention or you shop in a ritzy part of town. I see it almost every time I'm at the store.
I am 100% not paying attention. That's by design. Unless there is some sort of hold up, I don't care if they pay with a bag of used bandages. While I'm waiting, I am playing on my phone, checking out the beach body pictures in the National Enquirer, or trying to find the page with the fatty in a bikini to see who it is on the cover. I find it peculiar that you claim to be so tuned in to the details of someone else's transaction and its even more peculiar that you see it "almost every time". Does that mean that "almost every time" you end up in line behind the food stamps person, or does your food stamp surveillance include checking out the transactions going on in adjacent checkout lines as well?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#29 Jan 31, 2013
I think basically everyone has it. The first letter the LW is a total nitwit. You can't run other people's lives and you should not judge your student's personal choices.

On letter 2, while I haven't seen it happen I know people are stupid enough to do that. Whatever. It's rude and shouldn't be done. What I don't get is why it was important to the LW to get Abby's opinion.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#30 Jan 31, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know if someone was using food stamps, because its just like a credit card.
YOU'RE WRONG!

Edogg sees it almost every time he shops. You calling him a liar?!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#31 Jan 31, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>No, judging by the shoppers at the grocery closest to my home, there is no shame at all. The woman behind me was missing teeth and using her EBT card to buy candy and fake fruit juice for her kids (so, not even the relatively healthy stuff with high % of juice in it).
Yes, I'm afraid for many you are correct.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#32 Jan 31, 2013
PEllen wrote:
L! I am envision an old fashioned Salvation Army/WCTU parade wher e LW comes in in a uniform with an ax to tear down that den of iniquity. Rather like Guys and Dolls.
HA! I had a similar visual in mind - the Ladies Temperance League... LOL.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#33 Jan 31, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was told by a friend... who, while he was looking for his lost puppy, tripped and stumbled into strip club.
The one on %3 in Romeoville perhaps?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#34 Jan 31, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
HA! I had a similar visual in mind - the Ladies Temperance League... LOL.
Should read Rt 53 in Romeoville

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#35 Jan 31, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I am 100% not paying attention. That's by design. Unless there is some sort of hold up, I don't care if they pay with a bag of used bandages. While I'm waiting, I am playing on my phone, checking out the beach body pictures in the National Enquirer, or trying to find the page with the fatty in a bikini to see who it is on the cover. I find it peculiar that you claim to be so tuned in to the details of someone else's transaction and its even more peculiar that you see it "almost every time". Does that mean that "almost every time" you end up in line behind the food stamps person, or does your food stamp surveillance include checking out the transactions going on in adjacent checkout lines as well?
I'm aware of my surroundings. I'm not one to have my nose buried in a device and be completely oblivious to the world around me.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#36 Jan 31, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Should read Rt 53 in Romeoville
Crazy Rock?
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#37 Jan 31, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware of my surroundings. I'm not one to have my nose buried in a device....
Well of course, how else would you maintain your vigilant look-out for the liberal subterfuge?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#38 Jan 31, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course, how else would you maintain your vigilant look-out for the liberal subterfuge?
Exactly! The last time I wasn't paying attention, they raised my taxes!
Julie

Chicago, IL

#39 Jan 31, 2013
LW1: Jebus, lady. Get.Over.Yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,100,623
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Deserve 49,537
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 1 hr Retired SOF 45
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LRS 177,412
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,658
who here likes pooping themself either in a dia... 2 hr poopforluck 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,380
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr edogxxx 97,938
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••