BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit ...

BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen...

There are 192529 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 8, 2009, titled BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama 's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of Obama's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

“Facts trump speculation”

Since: Dec 08

San Juan, Philippines

#199954 Sep 8, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not what I said. However, I do know how much you and JacqWad enjoy trashing The Bible. Sad, but mostly disgraceful.
When you invoke that which falls under the definition of magic and call it real, you are saying your faith is real magic. Sorry but it is what it is.
wojar wrote:
<quoted text>
"Faith is real magic? I didn't say that."
Unwittingly, that is exactly what you said.
"A power greater than" ... "spiritual connection"....
The sun is a power greater than ourselves (just ask Rogue), but if you want to have spiritual connections to the son, go for it. Just don't get caught sacrificing the neighbors virginal daughter to the sun god.
You didn't say "Son of God" but you interpret your holy book correctly?
Luke 1:35 - And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199957 Sep 9, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your parallel verses; all they say is God must come first in one's life. Doh! You're too literal, remember? Do you really take all things so literal? Are you that dense? Talk about bullying, look back at these religious posts. You're trying to bully more than anyone! Perhaps, you'd have better luck trying it on someone else? I find it mildly amusing.
So,. you have no opinion on Luke's version of what Jesus said to his prospective apostles -:

1. Is what Luke wrote a true account of what Jesus said?;

2. If so, do you agree that not only should a husband and father abandon his entire family,. but must also hate them in order to, and this is what it is, go into religion?

Don't you have an opinion or are you just a feckless coward, afraid that if you said it was wrong, God will smite you? He will eventually, you, me, everyone, so go ahead, tell us what you think of that verse.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199958 Sep 9, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, what is the point in debating verses? I know how you feel and you know how I feel. So why the constant bashing? I call it like I see it. And, your wound is severe. You choose to get lost in the details. And, you know what they say,'the devil is in the details'. I'm perfectly comfortable in my spiritual life. I've experienced enough to know, without doubt, there is a power greater than us. As I will continue saying, if you don't believe, that's fine. Have at it! If you're just looking for an excuse to rag on me, then be man enough to say and do it! In this universe you're an insignificant speck, just like everyone else. A closed-mind is a terrible thing.
Why "bashing"?. I report the Gospel, word for word, from Luke, I did not change a single word or comma even. Why's that bashing? All I did was use Luke's very words. Yet, your only reply, instead of opining on it, are "bashing?" Out of ammo?

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#199959 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques,
I have I confession I would like to make.
I have never really read the Bible short of of few verses here and there.
It just does not hold my interest.
But I think if you're going to read the Bible, one should read the King James Version, or something even earlier if at all possible, instead of later, shall we say, watered down editions.
I've read enough of it to know that anything after KJV has been dumbed down for mass consumption.
loose

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#199960 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques,
As far as I am concerned, if one has not read the Bible in Latin, then one has simply not read the Bible.
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#199961 Sep 9, 2014
wojar wrote:
<quoted text>
When you invoke that which falls under the definition of magic and call it real, you are saying your faith is real magic. Sorry but it is what it is.
<quoted text>
That's your definition. Have at it!
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#199962 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
So,. you have no opinion on Luke's version of what Jesus said to his prospective apostles -:
1. Is what Luke wrote a true account of what Jesus said?;
2. If so, do you agree that not only should a husband and father abandon his entire family,. but must also hate them in order to, and this is what it is, go into religion?
Don't you have an opinion or are you just a feckless coward, afraid that if you said it was wrong, God will smite you? He will eventually, you, me, everyone, so go ahead, tell us what you think of that verse.
Did you lose your eyesight overnight or just forget how to read?

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199963 Sep 9, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Jacques,
As far as I am concerned, if one has not read the Bible in Latin, then one has simply not read the Bible.
Why's that, seeing as the Bible was not originally written in Latin?
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#199964 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
Why "bashing"?. I report the Gospel, word for word, from Luke, I did not change a single word or comma even. Why's that bashing? All I did was use Luke's very words. Yet, your only reply, instead of opining on it, are "bashing?" Out of ammo?
Look Wilbur, how many times have I said, "if that's what you believe, have at it?" How many? And yet, you keep replying back, why? Now, one more time, if you choose to believe in nothing, have at it. Out of ammo? I haven't even fired, yet! Now, you're just going to have to take your belief system and go cuddle up with it, it is yours.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#199965 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques,
Allow me to try and draw a simple comparison,...and then I am off to the ol' rat race.

When you go to a see and hear a world class orchestra, such as the Chicago Symphony, and there you are basking in the majesty and sunshine of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, you are not going to hear it performed in the key of D flat minor. No, you are going to hear it in the key it was first written when Luwig first set quill and ink to paper.
Although "The 5th' would certainly be very interesting in D flat minor, it would not be the real McCoy.
Sam exact thing with the Anglicanized Bible. Or any other important manuscript of which legends are made for that matter.
You gotta go to the source.
loose

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199966 Sep 9, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Wilbur, how many times have I said, "if that's what you believe, have at it?" How many? And yet, you keep replying back, why? Now, one more time, if you choose to believe in nothing, have at it. Out of ammo? I haven't even fired, yet! Now, you're just going to have to take your belief system and go cuddle up with it, it is yours.
So, may I conclude that you don't believe in Luke and the Gospels. Some Christian.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#199967 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques,
When music is transposed from one key to another, the whole texture and meaning and mood can be lost or irretrievably altered from the original.
Language can also act in the same manner.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199968 Sep 9, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Jacques,
Allow me to try and draw a simple comparison,...and then I am off to the ol' rat race.
When you go to a see and hear a world class orchestra, such as the Chicago Symphony, and there you are basking in the majesty and sunshine of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, you are not going to hear it performed in the key of D flat minor. No, you are going to hear it in the key it was first written when Luwig first set quill and ink to paper.
Although "The 5th' would certainly be very interesting in D flat minor, it would not be the real McCoy.
Sam exact thing with the Anglicanized Bible. Or any other important manuscript of which legends are made for that matter.
You gotta go to the source...WHICH IS NOT LATIN.
loose
You : "You gotta go to the source"...WHICH IS NOT LATIN

Having said that, you're right. Translations hardly ever do justice to the original -(I can vouch for that) as the translator works hard at not producing a literal translation which would appear machined and artificial. He/she will then lose him/herself in his/her own interpretation, and after many translations from one language to another, it often becomes a sort of oral tradition as "raconté: by village Griots in Africa.
Learn to Read

Indianapolis, IN

#199969 Sep 9, 2014
What is amazing to me is Christians who know very little about their own religion or scriptures but are quite comfortable taking passages from one translation or another and interpreting them according to their own experiences and beliefs – yet many of these same Christians knowing nothing about other religions or their scriptures steadfastly insist that a passage from a particular translation of "that other book" has one absolute meaning and thus justifies the condemnation of an entire religion. As if their Supreme Deity only bestowed the ability to think upon their chosen sect...

LRS

Shreveport, LA

#199970 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
So, may I conclude that you don't believe in Luke and the Gospels. Some Christian.
What you may conclude is this, I have no interest in your argument over verses. Why don't you just make your point? Some man.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199971 Sep 9, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
What you may conclude is this, I have no interest in your argument over verses. Why don't you just make your point? Some man.
Make my point? Gladly, my point being that you are ignorant, confronted with a genuine verse by Luke and not able to respond to it - admit it, it's the first time you've seen it. Verses are part and parcel of Holy Scripture, that essential ensemble which defines your Church.

Last time : What is your opinion on Jesus telling his prospective apostles to hate and leave their wives and children? How long will you evade the question?

Just respond :

a) It's not true. Jesus never said that. Luke is FOS (LRS-Dale tm reg'd) ;
b) The Gospels are a pack of lies and not essential to my religion;
c) looks like it's true and I will therefore make it a point of knowing more of my religion before mouthing off on it;
d) I'll make sure to discuss it with God tonight when we have our daily little talk.
fit4life424

Park Forest, IL

#199973 Sep 9, 2014
For those that don't have a dental, especially since there is no provision for dental under Obamacare, A root canal under my plan only cost $375, and the plan itself was was only $19.95 per month for my family, my son has braces thru the plan and it was only $2250 with no yearly maximums! I found the plan at http://dentalplans4all.com Hope this helps!!
Dale

Wichita, KS

#199974 Sep 9, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
Make my point? Gladly, my point being that you are ignorant, confronted with a genuine verse by Luke and not able to respond to it - admit it, it's the first time you've seen it. Verses are part and parcel of Holy Scripture, that essential ensemble which defines your Church.
Last time : What is your opinion on Jesus telling his prospective apostles to hate and leave their wives and children? How long will you evade the question?
Just respond :
a) It's not true. Jesus never said that. Luke is FOS (LRS-Dale tm reg'd) ;
b) The Gospels are a pack of lies and not essential to my religion;
c) looks like it's true and I will therefore make it a point of knowing more of my religion before mouthing off on it;
d) I'll make sure to discuss it with God tonight when we have our daily little talk.
LMAO!!! Dumbass, feel free to use my name, but only when posting to me.
Now as for Jesus telling people to hater, that isn't the meaning of his words, he simply meant that to follow him one must be 100% devoted to the cause.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#199975 Sep 9, 2014
Dale wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO!!! Dumbass, feel free to use my name, but only when posting to me.
Now as for Jesus telling people to hater, that isn't the meaning of his words, he simply meant that to follow him one must be 100% devoted to the cause.
So you're an exegete now, interpreting the words of Jesus as told by Luke. Impressive.

Luke : "Don't worry, Jesus, Dale will interpret all your words if you're not sufficiently articulate".

I I only used your name to attribute foul language, nothing to do with the Holy Scriptures, but hey, if you want to appear ignorant too, be my guest.

“Facts trump speculation”

Since: Dec 08

San Juan, Philippines

#199976 Sep 9, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your definition. Have at it!
Not my definition. Are you using the Play Webster's Dictionary? When you talk to God does He talk back to you?
From Wikipedia:
"Magic or sorcery is an attempt to understand, experience and influence the world using rituals, symbols, actions, gestures and language.[1][2][3][4] Modern Western magicians generally state magic's primary purpose to be personal spiritual growth.[5] Modern theories of magic may see it as the result of a universal sympathy where some act can produce a result somewhere else, or as a collaboration with spirits who cause the effect"
"Superstition is the belief in supernatural causality—that one event causes another without any natural process linking the two events—such as astrology, religion, omens, witchcraft, prophecies, etc., that contradicts natural science."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,252,476
abby7-7-15 8 min RACE 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 min Mister Tonka 99,928
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 13 min RACE 1,673
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 13 min Luke 52,029
Word (Dec '08) 50 min White_Lightning 5,330
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 51 min Lexus1985 430
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages