BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit ...

BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen...

There are 196922 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 8, 2009, titled BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama 's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of Obama's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#195519 Jul 10, 2014
Jacques,
English is dynamic and ever evolving.
loose

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195521 Jul 10, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
booster - someone who steals for a living
Urban Dictionary
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
Urban dictionary my eye.
OXFORD dictionary definition of :
BOOSTER : 1. device for increasing power or voltage; 2) an auxiliary engine or rocket for extra initial speed; 3) a second injection, renewing the effect of the first one.
I'd like to know where and how this poor man's excuse for a dictionary, the "urban" one gets the idea that "booster" is someone who steals for a living. But even more so, I'd like to know how that even got into the conversation.
Well, I recall in the late 1960s "boost" for stealing. Like boosting tires off of a car.

Location hidden

#195522 Jul 10, 2014
Does anyone know what a "church key" is? In the mid-1960s they developed pop-tops for cans and twist-off caps for bottles so before they had those you needed a church key to open your beer.
Most people under about age sixty have never heard the term. But there are a lot of recent terms I am unfamiliar with. That is call a generation-gap!

Location hidden

#195524 Jul 10, 2014
Cancer, Oral Sex and Presidential Politics: Did Bill Clinton Cause an Increase in Esophageal gonorrhea?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hal-herzog/oral...

Location hidden

#195525 Jul 10, 2014
<quoted text>
You : "when I tell Mexicans," Are they real Mexicans or true-blue Americans of Mexican ethnicity? There's a difference, you know. Like calling you a Brit because you language is English. Or, like LRS, thinking I live in France because I have a French-language name. Or worse, for some strange, weird and unrelated reason, in Chicago.
Probably a mixture. But they understand what I said. BTW, my language is AMERICAN English which is not the same as British English. Like what are the front and rear hatches on a car called? Are they a boot and a bonnet or a hood and a trunk lid? What do you call them in Canadian English?

Location hidden

#195526 Jul 10, 2014
BTW, all foreign military people coming to the U.S. for any U.S. military school must first go to Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX to study English to include the Brits. Then they send them to places like Fort Rucker, AL where the language is SOUTHERN!
Oh, I think it is funny when I go to Buckhead, Atlanta and you hear the gays speaking in a Southern drawl. Well hush my mouth!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#195527 Jul 10, 2014
Jacques,
I did use the word booster in the traditional Oxford Dictionary sense.
However, I did look it up in the Urban Dictionary, and elsewhere several places, as I often do with words, after I posted.
One of the big reasons for the success of the English language is its flexibility and willingness to incorporate new words and meanings.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#195528 Jul 10, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Jacques,
English is dynamic and ever evolving.
loose
In what direction?

Ottawa

#195529 Jul 10, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
loose cannon wrote:
booster - someone who steals for a living
Urban Dictionary
<quoted text>
Well, I recall in the late 1960s "boost" for stealing. Like boosting tires off of a car.
I wouldn't know, I never boosted tires. However, I've boosted my battery.

Ottawa

#195530 Jul 10, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably a mixture. But they understand what I said. BTW, my language is AMERICAN English which is not the same as British English. Like what are the front and rear hatches on a car called? Are they a boot and a bonnet or a hood and a trunk lid? What do you call them in Canadian English?
I asked if they were American of Mexican descendance or just plain Mexicans. There IS a difference.

We call it a hood and a trunk, but I am well aware of the British expressions and spellings, like the kerb and the tyre.

“Facts trump speculation”

Since: Dec 08

Bristol, CT

#195531 Jul 10, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
Cancer, Oral Sex and Presidential Politics: Did Bill Clinton Cause an Increase in Esophageal gonorrhea?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hal-herzog/oral...
Does Rouge have a case of oral/written diarrhea?

Ottawa

#195532 Jul 10, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
<quoted text>
You : "my language is AMERICAN English which is not the same as British English. "

Surely the understatement of the year.

It's still English, so you must be an Englishman according to your pal, LRS

Ottawa

#195533 Jul 10, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Jacques,
I did use the word booster in the traditional Oxford Dictionary sense.
However, I did look it up in the Urban Dictionary, and elsewhere several places, as I often do with words, after I posted.
One of the big reasons for the success of the English language is its flexibility and willingness to incorporate new words and meanings.
That's true, English is flexible in its welcome of new words. However, "booster" is NOT a new word and it did not mean, does not mean and will not mean the act of stealing, except in weird, strange and almost unheard-off jargon.
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#195534 Jul 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Your limit : Two civilized posts in a row. What a surprise. Still, I shan't sink to your level.
One can't sink to what towers above him.(old Indian sayin')
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#195535 Jul 10, 2014
<quoted text>
That's true, English is flexible in its welcome of new words. However, "booster" is NOT a new word and it did not mean, does not mean and will not mean the act of stealing, except in weird, strange and almost unheard-off jargon.
I believe the word you're looking for is "slang".

Ottawa

#195536 Jul 10, 2014
LRS wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the word you're looking for is "slang".
Maybe, but it shore ain't no English.
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#195537 Jul 10, 2014
Good grief, the ME may be in full blown war any second. I wonder what Obama will do for Israel? This country has fallen apart under Obama. Get him out!

Ottawa

#195538 Jul 10, 2014
LRS wrote:
Good grief, the ME may be in full blown war any second. I wonder what Obama will do for Israel? This country has fallen apart under Obama. Get him out!
Well, apart from supplying the glass dome, F-16s, F-15s, helicopters, tanks, howitzers, missiles, radar, and maintaining Israel, 5 million population , the U.S.'s largest aid recipient, plus diplomatic support, gee, I wonder what more he can do.

Ottawa

#195539 Jul 10, 2014
LRS wrote:
Your country falling apart? Why don't we see it like that from here? Why is unemployment at a 6-year low, why is the economy back from the brink, why will the U.S. quit its bond buying programme in October, without the disastrous effects that Rogue predicted ?(my gosh, Rogue's wrong again - streak is intact). Why are interest rates so low, yet the dollar is gaining and everybody's hoarding it?

GWB : DJIA when he left : around 7,500
Obama : DJIA today, hovering at 17,000

Housing starts : Up
Real Estate market : rebounding

So, what country did you say was falling apart again?
Frank

Spokane, WA

#195540 Jul 10, 2014
wojar wrote:
Proof that Obama wants to destroy America: Obama wanted to change the traditions of our country and the history of our country. " we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America." Obama has pushed his radical left wing agenda that has increased the number of people on welfare by double and the number of people without a job to 100 million,with a record number of people drawing unemployment insurance,disability insurance, or have dropped out of the workforce. Obama has used policies to increase entitlements to trap our citizens in a state of dependency not with a goal of eliminating poverty,but as a political tool. "In five days, you can put an end to the politics that would divide a nation just to win an election, that tries to pit region against region, and city against town, and Republican against Democrat, that asks -- asks us to fear at a time when we need to hope." Obama has done exactly that, divided the nation just to win an election-- and re-election. Obama has pitted region against region,and city against town,and Democrat and Republican. Obama should be called a Nostradamus. Our country is $6 trillion more deeply in debt. Obama has adopted a tax policy that pushes our country deeper in debt and punishes job providers for hiring new employees. ObamaKare was a ploy to force more bureaucracy and larger government on a naive nation,as it has done nothing to help improve health care for all United States citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealStupid 1,276,647
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 min PEllen 100,636
Dear Abby 9-1-15 13 min PEllen 1
Ask Amy 9-1-15 15 min PEllen 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 27 min Hatti_Hollerand 6,425
News The Chicago hunger strike for Dyett High School... 34 min reality is a crutch 1
News Three Men Arrested for Oak Park Carjacking, Arm... 39 min reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages