BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen...

The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama 's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of Obama's ... Full Story

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#187287 Mar 26, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
One day, three men were hiking and unexpectedy came upon a large raging, violent river. They needed to get to the other side but had no idea how to do so.
The first man prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give me the strenght to cross this river". Poof! God gave him big arms and strong legs and he was able to swim across the river in about two hours, but not after almost drowning a couple of times.
Seeing this, the second man prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give me the strength,.....and the tools to cross this river". Poof! God gave him a rowboat and he was able to row across the river in about an hour, but not after almost capsizing the boat a couple of times.
The third man had seen how this worked out for the other two, so he also prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give the the strength and the tools ,....and the intelligence to cross ths river". And poof! God turned him into a woman. She looked at the map, hiked upstream a couple hundred yards and walked across the bridge.
And that's the way it is.
My wife is going to love that.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#187288 Mar 26, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is more concern about the health of our soul than our bodies. How long is eternity as compared to our time on Earth? It is not important how long you live but how well you live.
How often do you do random acts of kindness? To me, charity is more personal like stopping to mount someone's spare tire or take them to a hospital.
On my 60th birthday I was having breakfast at a .Cracker Barrel when an elderly woman fainted and cracked her head on the floor. I had been dating my nurse girl friend only about two months at the time and impressed her very much.
At the end, I road with the other elderly woman in her car to the hospital as her friend took te ambulance ride and my girlfriend drove my car. I stayed with them until noon and the woman was checked out and her cut stitched and they were able to get back on the road. Sooooo I had my birthday breakfast out of a vending machine! No big deal. I hope someone would do that for my mother if the situation occurred.
Well done.

Now you need to ask yourself... did you perform these acts because you are afraid to go to hell... because you want to get to heaven?

Or, did you do it because you are a quality example of a human being who has empathy for the vulnerable?

1. Can you name a single moral act or statement that a believer may do or say... that a nonbeliever may not?

2. I am willing to bet that it takes no time at all to name an immoral act that a believer may perform that a nonbeliever would not.

For example... I understand you don't have children and I respect that. But, say a woman gave birth to your beautiful son, he is perfect in every way... if the thought that you need a sharp rock to hack at his genitalia to make god happy enters your mind... we are finished with number 2.

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
&#8213; Steven Weinberg

Morality was around for thousands of years before your bible.

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#187289 Mar 26, 2014
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife is going to love that.
And how about this one?(unattributed)

Man's walking, sees a discarded old rusted lamp ,picks it up, rubs it (suprised?) and out comes a genie.

"Oh, goodie", says the man, "I can have three wishes".

Genie replies - "never mind that crap, where'd you hear that? You don't get three wishes, you get just one. Go ahead, wish".

Man says : "Gee, genie, here's what I'd like. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but I'm terrified of flying. I'd like you to build me a bridge that'll go from NYC to anywhere in Europe".

The genie is at a loss, says : "Look, man, do you realise what your wish entails? I'd have to beat all the elements of distance, difficulties of construction, the depth of the ocean, the quantities of steel and concrete, c'mon, come up with something reasonable".

Man says : "Okay, I've got it. All my life, I've tried to understand women, what makes them tick, what makes them the way they are, you know. Please tell me".

Genie replies : "How many lanes do you want on that bridge?"

Ottawa

#187290 Mar 26, 2014
Linktv org wrote:
Top Ten Congressional Lobbying Scandals in US History
http://blog.oup.com/2006/03/congressional_l/ / http://tinyurl.com/6xdkuf
1. 1857, the New York Times published an expose of lobbying for the Pacific Railroad bill, charging that lobbyists had shaped a bill in order to pillage federal lands. The House opened an investigation that led four representatives to resign (the House also expelled from its galleries the Times reporter who broke the story).
2. 1872, the New York Sun exposed the Credit Mobilier scandal, where a railroad lobbyist provided stock to members of Congress to make them more likely to increase appropriations for transcontinental railroad construction. Both the Senate and House investigated the charges, which ruined the careers of two vice presidents, a Speaker, and other members of both bodies.
3. 1906, Cosmopolitan magazine publishes David Graham Phillips’ series of muckraking exposes on the “Treason of the Senate,” in which he accused prominent senators of representing special interests rather than the public interest. The series contributes to political pressure that results in the Seventeenth Amendment requiring senators to be elected by the public rather than by state legislatures.
4. 1913, the New York World ran an expose of questionable tactics by a lobbyist for the National Association of Manufacturers seeking to influence tariff rates. One member of the House resigned and the House passed a bill requiring lobbyists to register with Congress. The Senate declined to go along with the reform.
5. 1929, the New York World accused Connecticut Senator Hiram Bingham of bringing a paid agent for the Connecticut Manufacturers’ Association into closed committee meetings on a pending tariff bill. The Senate investigated and censured Bingham (previously prominent as the discoverer of Machu Picchu), who was then defeated for reelection.
6. 1962, a Des Moines Register correspondent reported that Senate Majority Secretary Bobby Baker accepted favors from lobbyists in exchange for providing access to powerful senators. A Senate committee investigated and Baker was later convicted of income tax evasion.
7. 1976, the Washington Post broke the story that the Justice Department was investigating South Korean agent Tongsun Park, who had distributed illegal gifts to members of Congress. Congressional investigation of “Koreagate” ended with the reprimand of three members of the House and the indictment of two others.
http://blog.oup.com/2006/03/congressional_l/
8. 1990, accounts in the Orange County Register, the Mesa [Arizona] Tribune, the Detroit News, the Los Angeles Times, the Arizona Republic, and the Wall Street Journal revealed that five senators met with the head of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board about the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, whose head, Charles H. Keating, Jr. had made substantial contributions to their political campaigns. The Senate Ethics Committee investigated the Keating Five, and reprimanded one of them, California Senator Alan Cranston.
9. 2005, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported a bribery scandal involving lobbyists’ gifts and payments to Representative Randy “Duke” Cunningham that led to his resignation from Congress and criminal conviction./ 10. 2005, Washington Post reporters revealed that Washington lobbyist Jack Abramoff was the central figure in a congressional corruption scandal, as Justice Department prosecutors investigated him for fraud and bribery allegations./ http://blog.oup.com/2006/03/congressional_l/
Great research. I would however suggest that these are but the tip of the iceberg. Don't get me wrong, as this is but a template or carbon copy of what goes on pretty much everywhere in this world of ours.

Ottawa

#187291 Mar 26, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
One day, three men were hiking and unexpectedy came upon a large raging, violent river. They needed to get to the other side but had no idea how to do so.
The first man prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give me the strenght to cross this river". Poof! God gave him big arms and strong legs and he was able to swim across the river in about two hours, but not after almost drowning a couple of times.
Seeing this, the second man prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give me the strength,.....and the tools to cross this river". Poof! God gave him a rowboat and he was able to row across the river in about an hour, but not after almost capsizing the boat a couple of times.
The third man had seen how this worked out for the other two, so he also prayed to God, saying, "Please God, give the the strength and the tools ,....and the intelligence to cross ths river". And poof! God turned him into a woman. She looked at the map, hiked upstream a couple hundred yards and walked across the bridge.
And that's the way it is.
Great one. Thanks

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#187292 Mar 26, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
And how about this one?(unattributed)
Man's walking, sees a discarded old rusted lamp ,picks it up, rubs it (suprised?) and out comes a genie.
"Oh, goodie", says the man, "I can have three wishes".
Genie replies - "never mind that crap, where'd you hear that? You don't get three wishes, you get just one. Go ahead, wish".
Man says : "Gee, genie, here's what I'd like. I've always wanted to go to Europe, but I'm terrified of flying. I'd like you to build me a bridge that'll go from NYC to anywhere in Europe".
The genie is at a loss, says : "Look, man, do you realise what your wish entails? I'd have to beat all the elements of distance, difficulties of construction, the depth of the ocean, the quantities of steel and concrete, c'mon, come up with something reasonable".
Man says : "Okay, I've got it. All my life, I've tried to understand women, what makes them tick, what makes them the way they are, you know. Please tell me".
Genie replies : "How many lanes do you want on that bridge?"
LMAO!

Thank you.

Ottawa

#187293 Mar 26, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is more concern about the health of our soul than our bodies. How long is eternity as compared to our time on Earth? It is not important how long you live but how well you live.
How often do you do random acts of kindness? To me, charity is more personal like stopping to mount someone's spare tire or take them to a hospital.
On my 60th birthday I was having breakfast at a .Cracker Barrel when an elderly woman fainted and cracked her head on the floor. I had been dating my nurse girl friend only about two months at the time and impressed her very much.
At the end, I road with the other elderly woman in her car to the hospital as her friend took te ambulance ride and my girlfriend drove my car. I stayed with them until noon and the woman was checked out and her cut stitched and they were able to get back on the road. Sooooo I had my birthday breakfast out of a vending machine! No big deal. I hope someone would do that for my mother if the situation occurred.
You compare God and concern with our souls with a miscellaneous act of kindness you performed in a fast food emporium upon an elderly woman? Seriously?

This is not the first time you tell us about your "good deeds" upon fellow human beings. This implies that you're practically unique in your compassion for your neighbour, and that few would be as charitable, as forthcoming. Think again, the good Samaritan, the real one, doesn't shout his good deed over the rooftops or on Topix.

If God's concern over our souls trumps that of our bodies, why are some "bodies" so much better off that the other 2/3 on this globe, yet, each with an equal chance of going to heaven? If that be the case, Rogue, why don't you divest yourself immediately of your savings, investments, house, car, aeroplane, pension, guaranteed health care and do the St. Augustine thing and give all of it tot the poor? After all, these are all worldly "body" things. Yes, donate them all to the poor, as Jesus preached, and you'll see, you'll feel much better and heaven will be that much closer.

“Arm the homeless!”

The internet

#187294 Mar 26, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked your other post...
Re-done that may be a phase to endure for sure...
They say the truth is at the bottom of all things isn't it???
How far then to how far again after the renovating...first though it seems a demolition the new phrase...clean up...clean house...
As they all were at one time straightening up their front porches and all shiny as can be because soon he would be entering......And that was no joke and is no lie... It should be spelled dun...as far as completed...
Thank you, Tinka.

The Cosmos series was first done by Carl Sagan in the late 70s. It was the first time the natural world was packaged and made digestible for the general public. You didn't need a background in science to understand what he was explaining. It was a flagstone in America's understanding of science as a whole.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has inherited the mantle. There are few more suited.

There are a LOT of things we know now... that we did not then.

Please don't take this as offensive.. I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to communicate some of the time. If you asked me a question and I didn't respond, please have patience with me and try again.

If not... be well.
:)

BTW... The original Cosmos with Dr. Sagan is available on netflix. The new series is Sunday nights on Fox.
Learn to Read

Indianapolis, IN

#187295 Mar 26, 2014
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>:)

I have been there recently LTR, and it is too funny.

I watch Bill Nye wipe the floor with ole Ken in his own house. Don't get me wrong Mr. Ham, is a great guy. Just as pleasant as punch. But he is pushing creationism under the guise of pseudoscience. Hell, pseudoscience can at the very least make predictions. Intelligent design isn't even on their level yet. I find that irresponsible and demeaning to science as a whole.

Ken had his troops there to have his back and applaud. And if you think the museum is good for a laugh... you should meet the people who support it.

There were signs like
"God said BANG and it happened."
"Evolution and creationism are both theories, what makes one better than the other?"

Oh... look what I found!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gBs-CkxGXy8XX

The signs aren't nearly as funny as the joy on the faces of those holding them... as if they had just taken down science in 20 words or less.... priceless.

Interested in seeing the debate?
Starts at the 15 min mark. Ken's biggest guns are that he found 5 or 6 scientist who are creationist. As if that proves something.

Keep in mind... this is Dr. Nye in a room absolutely packed with zealots. He had to tone things down a bit for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Oh that is priceless. Thanks for sharing!

Ottawa

#187296 Mar 26, 2014
Scrutiny wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Tinka.
The Cosmos series was first done by Carl Sagan in the late 70s. It was the first time the natural world was packaged and made digestible for the general public. You didn't need a background in science to understand what he was explaining. It was a flagstone in America's understanding of science as a whole.
Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has inherited the mantle. There are few more suited.
There are a LOT of things we know now... that we did not then.
Please don't take this as offensive.. I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to communicate some of the time. If you asked me a question and I didn't respond, please have patience with me and try again.
If not... be well.
:)
BTW... The original Cosmos with Dr. Sagan is available on netflix. The new series is Sunday nights on Fox.
You : "BTW... The original Cosmos with Dr. Sagan is available on netflix. The new series is Sunday nights on Fox."

On Fox? The parting of the Nile is mere child's play compared to Fox espousing science. Hmmm, on the other hand, Fox did bring forth The Simpsons, so I suppose there was faint hope after all.
Frank

Spokane, WA

#187297 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
You : "I didn't know he is/was a Democrat and I did not read it either. Do YOU assume he is a Democrat simply because he is a black man? If so, you are stereotyping and a racist!!!"
I see your wit and sense of humour, all coupled to your non-understanding of sarcasm are alive and kicking.
He was a Obama supporter.
Frank

Spokane, WA

#187298 Mar 26, 2014
Ellen1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The USA pays more on its military than the next 13 largest military budgets ADDED TOGETHER.
Not as a percentage of GDP. North Korea pays the highest percentage of GDP. United States is unique as we have The Constitution that guarantees self defense and history of self defense along with treaties and agreements for military.

Ottawa

#187299 Mar 26, 2014
Ha ha "of the Nile?" LMAO, make that the parting of the Red Sea. OMG

Ottawa

#187300 Mar 26, 2014
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>He was a Obama supporter.
Repeating again, birthers don't deal too well with wit, humour and sarcasm. After all, Frank, why would you be an exception?
Frank

Spokane, WA

#187301 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, and you could bet your bottom dollar that this particular group would have more gray matter and intelligence, not to mention culture,. and be more interesting than anyone on the right.
You would lose that bet a majority of the time. Sheeple do not think straight. It doesn't take additional gray matter for some guy to think he is a girl. The pied piper wasn't able to lead the rats away because they were more intelligent than him. I would think a better bet would be that I could take the graduating class from any high school and the bottom 50% would be more likely to vote for Democrats. The bottom of the Punahou Class of '79 is setting in The White House.
Frank

Spokane, WA

#187302 Mar 26, 2014
Tikk wrote:
Just hope we all remember this when Ted Cruz the Canadian-born citizen tries to run for President in 2016.
People should have used their brains in November 2008. They obviously didn't learn anything because millions of them voted the same way in 2012.
Frank

Spokane, WA

#187303 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Repeating again, birthers don't deal too well with wit, humour and sarcasm. After all, Frank, why would you be an exception?
Judge Joe Brown is running for office on the Democrat ticket. Since Obama has been President the ratings for Judge Joe Brown had declined so much that his show was finally cancelled.
Learn to Read

Indianapolis, IN

#187304 Mar 26, 2014
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>Judge Joe Brown is running for office on the Democrat ticket. Since Obama has been President the ratings for Judge Joe Brown had declined so much that his show was finally cancelled.
Just another example of Obama costing American jobs ...

Ottawa

#187305 Mar 26, 2014
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>You would lose that bet a majority of the time. Sheeple do not think straight. It doesn't take additional gray matter for some guy to think he is a girl. The pied piper wasn't able to lead the rats away because they were more intelligent than him. I would think a better bet would be that I could take the graduating class from any high school and the bottom 50% would be more likely to vote for Democrats. The bottom of the Punahou Class of '79 is setting in The White House.
High School? I wouldn't know.

Ottawa

#187306 Mar 26, 2014
Er, hmmm, Rogue. Who cancelled the space shuttle, leaving the U.S. at the mercy of the Russians? Remember, you lamented the loss of U.S.-operated flights to and from the ISS two days ago. Wish you'd tell us why no more shuttles or shuttle replacements.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 min Petal Power 46,744
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Incognito4Ever 1,110,246
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr andet1987 4,726
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Mister Tonka 98,239
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 1 hr Handcuff ottoman 137
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 49,882
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 69,402
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info