BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting Obama's citizen...

The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama 's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by some opponents of Obama's ... Full Story

“Bonjour Hello Buongiorno Hola”

Since: Feb 12

Ottawa

#186512 Mar 12, 2014
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak about being feminine, you ever see Barry throw a baseball? Total chick!
Relevance?

See Gandhi throw a baseball? Total chick
See Einstein throw a baseball? Total chick
See Stephen Hawking throw a baseball? Total chick

Are you beginning to "get it" now?

Ottawa

#186513 Mar 12, 2014
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a partial pull quote from the article.
Though MSNBC has a handful of moderate conservatives—namely Morning Joe’s Joe Scarborough—Fox stands out for the prominence it awards its on-air naysayers, many of whom occupy regular roles on the network’s most popular shows. Personalities like Kirsten Powers, who made her way up through the Clinton administration and now goes head-to-head with Bill O’Reilly on nationalized healthcare (she’s for it), the death penalty (against), and the Iraq war (against). Their screen relationship is one of playful respect; when their debates grow heated, O’Reilly warmly calls her “Powers.”
Why would liberals in good standing risk becoming Democratic Party outcasts by going to work for Fox? And why does Fox spend good money acquiring them? The first question is easier than the second. Tamara Holder says she’s often asked how a person who once wrote for GrassRoots, a medical marijuana magazine, found herself on a network geared toward the country’s most faithful conservatives. Her one-word answer:“ratings.”
The harder question is the one directed at Fox’s motives. Ratings, of course, would be the logical answer here, too. But it’s possible that’s not the sole explanation.
For a network that relies on a partisan base, adding a group of liberals is risky, pushing against the purity of programming that has historically been the core of Fox’s success. And yet the nation’s most-watched cable channel doesn’t maneuver without strategy. Since it launched in 1996, Fox has grown into the largest cable news network, drawing 1.1 million viewers in primetime and 1.76 million viewers in total per day, an audience that’s four times larger than its next closest competitor, CNN, and greater than both MSNBC and CNN’s audiences combined. Fox has gained this market share by its masterful manipulation of ideology, drawing an audience that’s primarily conservative, and then seeking to reinforce their values. It’s a strategy that MSNBC has scrambled to copy, setting itself up as Fox’s ideological opposite. But this year, when MSNBC’s daytime ratings slid below CNN’s, Politico’s Dylan Byers blamed the fall on MSNBC’s programming, which airs more opinion than any other news network, reaching a tipping point of “too much liberal outrage.”
http://www.cjr.org/feature/and_from_the_leftf...
In case you would like to read the entire article. You're welcome.
My "butting in' had to do with your refusal to re-submit the article. As per Rogue. Good for you , you did it. I'll let wojar reply as to article's relevance to the discussion.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#186514 Mar 12, 2014
Ground Control to Major Tom....

Ground Control to Major Tom..........

Commencing countdown, engines on......

Check ignition and may God's love be with you.

“Facts trump speculation”

Since: Dec 08

RationalState

#186515 Mar 12, 2014
Rogue Scholar 05 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know as voting is done by SECRETE BALLOT. Do you know what that means? If you don't, why don't you ask her how she voted!
Secret Ballot! That's news Rougetard?

Rougetard: "If you are a Democrat, you can vote for six years after your die. And if you are a Republican, you too can vote for any Democrat for up to six year after you die."

So if it's a secret ballot, Rougetard, how do you know Republicans vote for Democrats six years after they die?

Got Alzheimer's?
wojar wrote:
<quoted text>
"Officials say, however, that it may represent an administrative error."
But Rougetard won't let that spoil a good fantasy.
Did "she" vote Republican?

Ottawa

#186516 Mar 12, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Ground Control to Major Tom....
Ground Control to Major Tom..........
Commencing countdown, engines on......
Check ignition and may God's love be with you.
Have you run out of meds?

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186517 Mar 12, 2014
And all this science, I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week.....

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186518 Mar 12, 2014
In fact, it's lonely out in space

RationalState

#186519 Mar 12, 2014
wojar wrote:
<quoted text>
And the disgruntled loser who cannot get over Mitt's loss does not cite his "report". The alleged "left wing" Columbia U reports "the media" is left wing? That's like claiming Fox News reports the media is right wing. Ob is a joke.
<quoted text>
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a pull quote from the article Woj.
Though MSNBC has a handful of moderate conservatives—namely Morning Joe’s Joe Scarborough—Fox stands out for the prominence it awards its on-air naysayers, many of whom occupy regular roles on the network’s most popular shows. Personalities like Kirsten Powers, who made her way up through the Clinton administration and now goes head-to-head with Bill O’Reilly on nationalized healthcare (she’s for it), the death penalty (against), and the Iraq war (against). Their screen relationship is one of playful respect; when their debates grow heated, O’Reilly warmly calls her “Powers.”
Why would liberals in good standing risk becoming Democratic Party outcasts by going to work for Fox? And why does Fox spend good money acquiring them? The first question is easier than the second. Tamara Holder says she’s often asked how a person who once wrote for GrassRoots, a medical marijuana magazine, found herself on a network geared toward the country’s most faithful conservatives. Her one-word answer:“ratings.”
The harder question is the one directed at Fox’s motives. Ratings, of course, would be the logical answer here, too. But it’s possible that’s not the sole explanation.
For a network that relies on a partisan base, adding a group of liberals is risky, pushing against the purity of programming that has historically been the core of Fox’s success. And yet the nation’s most-watched cable channel doesn’t maneuver without strategy. Since it launched in 1996, Fox has grown into the largest cable news network, drawing 1.1 million viewers in primetime and 1.76 million viewers in total per day, an audience that’s four times larger than its next closest competitor, CNN, and greater than both MSNBC and CNN’s audiences combined. Fox has gained this market share by its masterful manipulation of ideology, drawing an audience that’s primarily conservative, and then seeking to reinforce their values. It’s a strategy that MSNBC has scrambled to copy, setting itself up as Fox’s ideological opposite. But this year, when MSNBC’s daytime ratings slid below CNN’s, Politico’s Dylan Byers blamed the fall on MSNBC’s programming, which airs more opinion than any other news network, reaching a tipping point of “too much liberal outrage.”
And here is a link so you can read the entire article yourself.
http://www.cjr.org/feature/and_from_the_leftf...
Let me remind you of what you said:
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Fantasy that the media is left wing? It's statements like that Woj that causes people to question your intellectual honesty. Even Columbia University reports that the media is left wing.
Now where in the article you quoted does COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY SAY THAT THE MEDIA IS LEFT WING?

Can't you read? This is effing pathetic!

RationalState

#186520 Mar 12, 2014
Even more pathetic, not only does the article NOT say that the media is left wing, but it was written by a freelance journalist, and is not the opinion of Columbia University or the product of a study conducted at the University.

What is Obskeptic smoking?

Obskeptic: "Even Columbia University reports that the media is left wing."

Totally incompetent.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186522 Mar 12, 2014
Jacques,
What can I say?
I think this missing airline incident would be something the aviation industry should have foreseen and practiced for.
Still no pinging after 5 days.
I am flabbergasted that these big passenger planes, every last one of them, are not already tracked by satellite.
It just boggles the mind that there is not already in place some sort of retrievable data set that shows where those planes are located and where they have been and stored in a tamperproof mainframe data bank smewhere at HQ.
They're probably spending millions of dollars every day looking for that one plane.
And there's probably something down at Radio Shack for a couple hundred bucks that they could slap on those jets to do just as I have suggested.

Ottawa

#186523 Mar 12, 2014
wojar wrote:
Even more pathetic, not only does the article NOT say that the media is left wing, but it was written by a freelance journalist, and is not the opinion of Columbia University or the product of a study conducted at the University.
What is Obskeptic smoking?
Obskeptic: "Even Columbia University reports that the media is left wing."
Totally incompetent.
I read the entire article. Nothing even remotely approaches the notion that the media is left wing. What it does say is that Fox enjoys recruiting "left-leaning" personalities which in turn, or so it seems, allows Murdoch to get his far- right oldsters to outshout, browbeat the "lefties" and come out the winners. Which the credibility polls prove wrong, see....

What I did find interesting is the chart on ratings and credibility . Indeed, while Foxnews.com leads the charts on ratings, it falls behind MSNBC and CNN on credibility. Yes, Foxnews.com leads the ratings charts, as do "WWE, The bachelor and honey booboo" but falls back on credibility, whose "breaking news" equate to woman, dead for 8 years who voted in 2010.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186524 Mar 12, 2014
Jacques,
I see it as nothing less than a monumental failure of the aerospace giants.
A cocky and pervasive attitude of theirs which inhibits their ablitiy to imagine.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186525 Mar 12, 2014
My understanding is that the Rolls Royce factory gets real-time data on the performance parameters of every jet engine in service, which helps streamline's the service schedule of the powerplants and intercept mechanical problems as they develope.
It is a technology already in place, but for reasons other than search and rescue.

RationalState

#186526 Mar 13, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the entire article. Nothing even remotely approaches the notion that the media is left wing. What it does say is that Fox enjoys recruiting "left-leaning" personalities which in turn, or so it seems, allows Murdoch to get his far- right oldsters to outshout, browbeat the "lefties" and come out the winners. Which the credibility polls prove wrong, see....
What I did find interesting is the chart on ratings and credibility . Indeed, while Foxnews.com leads the charts on ratings, it falls behind MSNBC and CNN on credibility. Yes, Foxnews.com leads the ratings charts, as do "WWE, The bachelor and honey booboo" but falls back on credibility, whose "breaking news" equate to woman, dead for 8 years who voted in 2010.
It's the invisible ink effect (that only birfoons can see). Birthers see things that aren't there. Just like Rogue, who sees "NASA predicts ice age" whenever he sees a plot of solar irradiance cycles.

Ottawa

#186527 Mar 13, 2014
wojar wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the invisible ink effect (that only birfoons can see). Birthers see things that aren't there. Just like Rogue, who sees "NASA predicts ice age" whenever he sees a plot of solar irradiance cycles.
Let's face it. Some newspapers may have left-wing leanings, who can deny it?---but most of them are well-written an award-winning. Even the rightist Murdoch-owned Wall Street Journal and The Times of London are worthy quality publications, though in recent years, the have more and more leaned to the right. Still, well-written and highly readable. Apparently, Murdoch does not interfere in their publication though he is highly responsible for editorial staff recruitment.

On the other hand, so-called lefty newspapers like the Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times , Le Monde, Herald Tribune et al are quality publications, letting its editorials show their centre-left leanings but never editorializing the real news. It's a true pleasure to read these papers, as one can sense the high level of culture of their writers, feature writers and essayists.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186528 Mar 13, 2014
Jacques,
I have known about that jet engine data being automatically sent to the ground as a routine maintenance program for a long time.
It is too bad those cocky aerospace engineers didn't have the smarts to include GPS coordinates in that live streaming data.
The technology is there, they are able to do it, and they chose not to.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186529 Mar 13, 2014
Jacques,
I know hindsight is 20/20 vision.
But the world already experienced a missing high-tech passenger plane a few yeas ago off the coast of Brazil, in the middle of the vast and mighty Atlantic Ocean. I didn't really follow the story back then, but I think it took them a couple years to find the main wreckage.

There is no amount if money on God's green Earth you could pay me to ever fly in one of those rust buckets ever again.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186530 Mar 13, 2014
And Jacques, just look at what happened to Mr. Balloonist, Steve Fosset.
Multi-millionaire, adventurer extraordinaire, getting chewed up in a canyon out there in the middle of the Mojave somewhere out in no-wheres-ville.
I know he was flying solo, but why is there not a simplistic GPS tracking system available for these kind of schmoe's for when they get into trouble and rescuer's need to come and find what's left of them?
It seems like a no-brainer to me.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#186531 Mar 13, 2014
Jacques,
I have seen videos on youtube where a hobbyist will send a balloon aloft with a small styrofaom cooler attached and a some cameras inside which take pictures and motion video of the view of the ground and the horizon from above.
And when the thing falls back to Earth they go and find it using their hand-held GPS device.
It's pretty cool. I'm surprised Boing didn't think of doing something similar to track aircaft.
Not as an integrated system to be used immediately for air traffic control, but for when planes fall out of the sky for some unexpected reason.
I woud ground the entire fleet right now until every plane has that feature.
I would ground them all right now, if I could.

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#186532 Mar 13, 2014
Jacques from Ottawa wrote:
Scrutiny : Herewith my reply to your post 186504.
Sorry man... I have lost post I put some time into before too....sucks.

1. Tactics. Russia doesn't see this as an invasion. Russia (as far as we know) had nothing to do with the revolt in Ukraine. Putin is interested in his Black Sea fleet. His naval base needed securing. What in the world does Stalin have to do with anything at all? Catherine took the Ukraine in the 18th century. I can't imagine it was all rainbows for ANYONE under Stalin. Keep in mind Crimea was never supposed to be outside of Russian control. It was a symbolic gift to the Ukraine, no one imagined the fall of the USSR would pull this key strategical territory away. Russia decided to lease the base from Ukraine. Ukraine said it would no longer be leasing the base to Russia and they did what they had to do to secure their interest when the opportunity arose.

We would have done no different.

2. I never said sanctions wouldn't hurt them. I said it was a stupid idea. Sanctions don't effect the targets leadership. You think Putin is going to be put out? Sanctions effect the target's people. They are to suffer, not rich authoritarians. I will ask you to explain why you think this is an effective tactic? I mean... as you said "Why not?"

3. I eliminated the others for good reason. Militarily there are no superpowers. There is the US.. an enormous drop off... then Russia and China...then a huge drop off ...and you can fill in the rest. I assure you J. If the US wants to destroy something no one can stop us. Politics is the only thing that hinders our military.

If President Bush would have said "I want Iraq, I want it yesterday, I care not how." And then removed himself from the equation. The Iraq war would have lasted maybe a week give or take a few days. We would have complete control of everything worth controlling and we would be piling bodies for the next month.

What we do and what we are capable of doing are two very different things. We haven't actually flexed at anyone since Japan.

4.Obama vs. Putin. I said Putin was a "real" leader I didn't say he was a nice guy. Say what you want about the way the people are treated... Putin doesn't answer to anyone including his people. He is old school 100% Soviet KGB bad ass. And the guy will pull down a city if he thinks he looks "weak".

The biggest difference is that I don't believe for a second that Obama calls the shots. No more than you could believe that the Iraq/Pakistan invasions were dreamed up over 3 days by Dubbya. I have often referred to Bush as a PR man. Obama is no different. They are head of public relations.

The U.S. was pulling evil calculating politically edgy maneuvers all during the Bush Presidency. You can't make me believe for a second that a guy who has failed at everything he had ever did in life, had the oratory skills of Sling blade, and won count em TWO elections without the popular vote... was steering the ship. He had obvious handlers and if I had to guess who was really running the US at the time...I would say his dad was the most likely scenario.

We may have a new face to comfort us. But I really doubt the job description has changed.

6. Why single the US out? We have taken the baton of imperialism from the UK and we haven't slowed down since it was passed when Hitler bombed the shit out of England. In this category I think being the CURRENT evil empire makes you the only one that is important at all. Iran is the only example you need.

7. You do understand that supporting the losing side of a conflict doesn't mean you lost...right? The collapse of the USSR was a multifaceted internal affair. Not the result of giving tanks and AKs to aggressors.

If you think someone is just going to walk in and take something from Russia... you are not being honest with yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min RoxLo 1,115,129
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 13 min JOEL 69,495
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 13 min Mandela 68,560
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min LessHypeMoreFact 47,002
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr reality check 50,036
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr RACE 98,345
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr RACE 639

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]