See above : "Canadians have an identification card which denotes they are citizens."<quoted text>
There is no determination for illegals!
They are deported right away.
Canadians have an identification card which denotes they are citizens.
Any illegal caught without it, is automatically deported.
They are not allowed back in the country without a citizenship card.
That is the legal way of doing it.
There are many people from India, Africa and Middle Eastern countries that think they can easily gain entrance into the USA by going through Canada, but a monkey wrench is thrown into their plans once they are caught without a citizenship card.
Wow Jock, you claim you know more about the USA than we do.
Well, I just proved that I know more about Canada than you do.
The American healthcare system is the best in the entire world.
It only became apparent to cry babies that it was supposedly bad.
The gubbermint is expected to pay for everything the freeloaders want, but the morons don't understand. It's not free!
Someone pays for it.
Anthing you get from the government is something that someone paid for.
I'd rather pay for my own things, thank you.
Please, stay in Canada.
If we were born Canadian citizens, we DO NOT HAVE A CITIZENSHIP card or any kind of government-issued I.D. card. But you said "Canadians", no? See above, I just quoted you.
Again, let me explain how it works :
1. There are no Canadian I.D. cards. So, your statement, to wit, "Canadians have an identification card which denotes they are citizens" is incorrect;
2. Canadians, like Americans, NEED proof of birth in country which, except for diplomats, automatically confers Canadian citizenship, to apply for a passport, social security, etc. But they don't carry it around with them, they don't want to lose it, too much red tape to get a new one. And, like the US, the cops canNOT ask your for I.D., any I.D., unless you've broken the law or under suspicion of having done so;
3. An immigrant lands in Canada. He is legal. He is issued a landed immigrant visa card which regulates his status in Canada. He needs it to apply for universal health care, perhaps when applying for a driver's license and to visit another country, paired to his/her passport of country where he/she originates;
4. When landed immigrant, after 3 years' residence, applies and is granted citizenship, he/she is given the certificate (not accepted as proof of citizenship to obtain ppt or documents) AND a citizenship card which is utilized to obtain ppt and other official stuff. As said before, it takes the place of a birth certificate as that person was not born in Canada. That card need not be carried by holder any more than YOU have to carry your birth certificate around . It is NOT an I.D. card and when travelling outside Canada, he/she will use his/her passport, the citizenship card can safely stay at home.
5. Again, I will not name-call you or throw cheap insults around. Do you get it now?
PS : Oh, you also said that your Canadian expert friend figured you would not want our socialized health care system in the U.S. When you see him next, would you mention that survey that says 90% of Canadians approve of their universal health care? Same for over 400 million in Europe. Oops, are they all wrong? Are they all lying?
PPS: LIES. That word is always on the tip of your tongue. When you were growing up, were you often accused of lying? Has that stuck with you? I ask, simply because any thing you hear from your detractors seems to be a lie to you. So much so that I suppose the weatherman never errs when he forecasts the weather incorrectly. I can just hear you : "Damn weatherman, he said it'd be sunny today and it's cloudy. He lied again". Is that how it goes? Someone can at at times be wrong, Sioux, doesn't mean they lied. Like you, you were wrong on this I.D. thing. Did I accuse you of lying? No, you were just wrong, is all. Same for universal health care. Wrong.