The housing appraisers warned us abou...

The housing appraisers warned us about the crisis, but we didn't listen

Posted in the Chicago Forum

johngeor13

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 12, 2013
http://www.creditwritedowns.com/2013/07/housi...

On July 9, 2013 I participated in a radio interview with a lobbyist for the 100 largest financial firms. The San Francisco radio program host asked me what question I would ask the lobbyist and I said that any discussion should begin with allowing him to state his view of what caused the crisis. In the course of his explanation, he bemoaned the fact that there was no warning about the crisis.

I found this ironic because I had just published that morning an article about how the appraisal profession warned us that the senior officers controlling the mortgage lending firms were engaged in pervasive “accounting control fraud.”

That article discussed the ten logical implications about the developing fraud epidemic that any competent financial regulator could have explained to FBI agents and Assistant U.S. Attorneys (AUSAs) on the basis of the facts contained in these two sentences:

“From 2000 to 2007,[appraisers] ultimately delivered to Washington officials a petition; signed by 11,000 appraisers…it charged that lenders were pressuring appraisers to place artificially high prices on properties. According to the petition, lenders were ‘blacklisting honest appraisers’ and instead assigning business only to appraisers who would hit the desired price targets”(FCIC 2011: 18).

Note that the appraisers’ petition began in 2000 and was public. When the regulators and prosecutors did nothing in response to the appraisers’ warning the appraisers delivered it to government officials to ensure that no one could say they were not warned. What tends to be forgotten is that the mortgage industry’s leaders did nothing to restrain the fraud epidemic and a great deal to expand it. A finance industry representative claiming in 2013 that no one warned the industry of the coming crisis when the warnings began no later than 2000 epitomizes the industry’s death of accountability, integrity, and candor.

Any of the following federal actors could have responded to the appraisers’ warning and prevented the crisis: the Federal Reserve, the FBI/Department of Justice, the lenders’ CEOs, the secondary market purchasers’, Clayton and the other “due diligence” firms, the lenders’ and secondary market purchasers’ internal and external auditors, the credit rating agencies, the SEC, Congress, and President Bush. Several of the state Attorney Generals had sufficient staff to prevent the crisis. The industry and federal leaders took no effective action. The states took two major actions against appraisal fraud, but neither was effective because they never understood the significance of the facts they found.
johngeor13

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 12, 2013
read this
dannafaust

Germany

#3 Jul 12, 2013
People will finally be forced into being more energy efficient and responsible because they will have no alternative but to do so when the economy finally deplete. Sad thing, humans still not facing the reality instead they still continue on their greed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min woodtick57 1,263,805
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min litesong 54,326
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 10 min scirocco 70,147
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Jacques Ottawa 194,616
Truly evil folks 2 hr Concern Citizen 5
News Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision (Jul '14) 2 hr MyNameIsToby 75
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 100,284
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages