Illinois income tax rate may rise by 50%

Illinois income tax rate may rise by 50%

There are 800 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 13, 2009, titled Illinois income tax rate may rise by 50%. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Gov. Pat Quinn is considering raising the Illinois income tax by 50 percent in a politically risky bid to address one of the biggest budget dilemmas in state history, sources said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 40
Next Last
John J Coughlin

Chicago, IL

#1 Mar 13, 2009
Imagine that. That is just what Blagojevich said would happen.

I prefer a crook that does not raise taxes to one that does...

Anybody here ever heard of an outfit called "MADIGAN ELECTRIC"?
Ron Karkovice

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 13, 2009
Just take my wallet, city, county and state. Thanks for the Change, Obama.
Bankrupt Trib

Champaign, IL

#4 Mar 13, 2009
No more taxes.

Can't you get through your thick skulls in
Springfield? The bankrupt Tribune company
is hiding $13 billion in assets through bankruptcy.

Tax the Board of Trade, they wrecked the economy
through speculation. Gas is $4 one week,$2 the next.
Communists!
Thin The Herd

Milwaukee, WI

#5 Mar 13, 2009
Keep raising taxes, keep losing employers, repeat ad nauseam.......except as Michigan, California and other states have discovered, high taxes equate to even higher budget deficits, and higher unemployment.

Politicians never learn that people change behaviors when taxes are at absurd levels.
Dem_A_HOLES

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 13, 2009
Raise taxes and everyone will leave. If you can not afford something you ELIMINATE it not steal more money to pay for it!

Since: Jan 09

U.S.A.

#8 Mar 13, 2009
Im Glad I live in North Central Kansas, Sorry Illinois-
WHO PAYS

Des Plaines, IL

#9 Mar 13, 2009
FOR ALL THE ILLEGALS IN ILL TO HAVE EVERYTHING FREE? WE DO IT COSTS EVERYONE IN IL MILLIONS ..........
Will

Huntley, IL

#10 Mar 13, 2009
I don't have any effing money left! OBOZO has already taken it all and is looking to take more.

When will this madness stop?
Imagine that

Woodridge, IL

#11 Mar 13, 2009
I say we simply increase the income tax rate to 15% so that we can hire more government workers that do nothing but collect juicy benefits and pensions. Eventually we can all work for state government and we will all be rich rich rich.

Vote Democratic!
the Chicago Way

Dekalb, IL

#12 Mar 13, 2009
10.25% sales tax? 4% or 5% income tax? Fees and tolls and charges every time we turn around? For what?

To keep alive a corrupt, incompetent tollway authority that should have faded away decades ago? To support Chicago's "sanctuary city" illegal aliens? To pay for obscenely overcharged projects that provide politicians with sweet kickbacks? To pad payrolls with relatives and friends of Democratic Political Machine bigwigs?

And the list goes on and on and on ...

Have any of you had enough of the stranglehold of Democratic politicians? Do you realize that Chicago has had only Democratic mayors for about the past 75 years? How's that working out?

U.S.A.

#14 Mar 13, 2009
The Dems and the Repubs have sold out the U.S. Tax Payer (Working Class) for years to special entrust groups. We need a Election Revolution from the White House to your city clerk. Vote Third Party when you can and when you can't vote against the politicion that is in office now. Obama cant, but We can!!!
Really Disgusted

Springfield, IL

#15 Mar 13, 2009
I wonder what the IQ's are of the people leading the charge in Springfield? Common sense tells me that if you raise taxes, gasoline or otherwise,on people already taxed to the max from the village through to DC, they will quit spending in other areas to make up for it.

Most people I know aren't spending anyway - no new cars, clothes and other commodities, they stay home, and are frugal at the grocery stores. Given this attitude, why do our collective geniuses in Springfield think that higher taxes are the answer? It takes more discretionary money from people who are already not spending.

Apparently, none of these legislators have studied any economics. I guess when the malls and car dealers close their doors and the grocery stores are empty, then it will hit home.

Let's try cutting what we can first to see how that helps, then talk about raising taxes. Get rid of the many layers of administration and cronies who have been added in the last 6 years; cut the fleet of cars and planes, stop giving raises to legislators if you are not giving them to workers. Ferret out and fire the ghost payrollers. Just track where they get their paystubs delivered. Get rid of 75 day appointments, contractors, no-bid contracts and temporary workers. This is just a start. Then we can talk tax increases.
Pablo

Orland Park, IL

#16 Mar 13, 2009
As soon as our house is sold we're headed to Indiana. Uhh, but wait a minute. We can't sell our house because NOBODY CAN AFFORD TO BUY ANYTHING IN ILLINOIS ANYMORE.
Cool1

New York, NY

#17 Mar 13, 2009
This is absolute proof of tax and spend democratic ignorance. They win elections because their voter base is mostly ignorant poor welfare recipients I guess. Or enviro wackos who are brainwashed into thinking the party of the a.s.s actually cares.

U.S.A.

#18 Mar 13, 2009
I saw on Fox News Obama wants to put aprox $1.75 gas tax on top of the taxes we already pay. This will be to pay for going green Ha-Ha. Ya-Right What is he going to use this new high cig. tax for??? Hi - Ho - Hi - Ho its off to work I go to pay Washington High Taxes. LOL - sad
Bob Raymond

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 13, 2009
You gotta love the party of NO. At some point we have to fix the roads and bridges. We are riding on 40 year old train cars. The state is broke.

Maybe if we hadn't wasted a trillion dollars on Iraq (and been fixing their roads and bridges), then we might have had money for our own infrastructure.
Edwin Ayala

Granger, IN

#20 Mar 13, 2009
Sounds like our local goverment is punishing the Illinois Taxpayer again for demanding justice. Cannot help but wonder how much of
this so-called budget dilemmas is directly related corruption?What we really need is more police with the a level integrity that cannot be bought? So real justice can prevail, and these issue's can be addressed by honorable men. This what the taxpayer want Governor Quin, and this is what we derserve. Just in case you need to be reminded what your real job is AGAIN!!!!!
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#21 Mar 13, 2009
No new taxes until the state proves that all cuts that can be taken have been taken.

Between Quinn, Stroger and Obama not a one has undertaken any initiative to eliminate waste or improve efficiency.

I don't see how the economic conditions in Cook County, Illinois or the country will improve with tax increases at a time when more and more people are earning less.

If there is one comfort, at least Quinn hasn't been saying that he represents Change We Can Believe In. He is all about business as usual.
bob

Carmi, IL

#22 Mar 13, 2009
It is a very small drop in a large bucket, but do people know that all current retired State of Illinois Illinois employees are EXEMPT from paying state income taxes? Many of these pensions, especially those of retired legislators, judges and Illinois State Police employees, are in excess of $90.000.00 per year. Perhaps some type of pension split, say, something like " every pension annuity payment over $50,000.00 shall be taxed at the regular state income tax rate" is in order. However, don't expect that to happen; the retired judges, politicians and retirees have too much clout.
MB Boca Raton

West Palm Beach, FL

#23 Mar 13, 2009
So what's the Governor going to do when businesses start a mass exodus from Illinois?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min Realtime 1,457,906
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min jock itch lol 230,972
last post wins! (Dec '10) 7 hr They cannot kill ... 2,751
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr Moans6157 62,300
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 9 hr honeymylove 2,273
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 10 hr Doug77 9,840
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr Go Blue Forever 104,505

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages