First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#21 Nov 19, 2013
Toj wrote:
L1: I can go with this being fake. Seems so. If not, I agree with Scarlet.
L2: I think Amy went a little overboard but I understand. We have sidewalks. There's a portion of everyone's lawn (called a parkway around here) that really the city/town owns but you take care of it. It's the portion of the grass nearest to the street after the sidewalk. That's where you let your dog do his/her duty and also pick it up.
L3: Congrats. Also, what PEllen said.
The city recently put a sidewalk through my front yard. The patch of grass streetside has always been, and still is, MY property.
Timmy

United States

#22 Nov 19, 2013
Are you sure of that? Have you actually looked at a plat of your property or had it surveyed? Do you know what the term "right of way" means? The right of way typically (but not always)extends from 10 to 25 ft beyond the edge of the road to allow room for sidewalks, utilities, future road expansions, etc. Look where the utility poles are at. They are in the public right of way.

Go to your property appraisers website and look up the plat/legal description your palce. Many people are surprised to see they don't own what they thought they did.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The city recently put a sidewalk through my front yard. The patch of grass streetside has always been, and still is, MY property.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#23 Nov 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that. Find the survey that was done when you bought the house. It's probably city property. People think that about the parkways too. I would think if it is your property there would have to be some sort of eminent domain legal action.

The bonehead next door put up a 6ft. fence up right next to the chain link fence that was on my property. I found my survey and informed him he was in my property line. Cost him a few hundred bucks to settle this issue. Paid to me, sort of like rent.

Ignorance is not bliss in matters like this.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#24 Nov 19, 2013
I imagine the city would have something to say if I decided to stop mowing it. But I'll have a look at the survey if I can find it. You've peaked my curiosity.
Timmy

United States

#25 Nov 19, 2013
In Florida, you can go to the County Property Appraiser website and see a copy of the plat for your (or anybody else's) property. It will have the legal description and show the adjacent right of ways.

Also, many local governments require property owners to maintain the sidewalks and green spaces that are adjacent to their property.
edogxxx wrote:
I imagine the city would have something to say if I decided to stop mowing it. But I'll have a look at the survey if I can find it. You've peaked my curiosity.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#26 Nov 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Around here, the city owns the property along the street, but the homeowner is still responsible for maintaining it (cutting grass on the opposite side of the driveway, if there is one, shoveling snow within 24 hours after a snowfall, etc). You also must have a permit to remove a tree along that area.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#27 Nov 19, 2013
Timmy wrote:
<quoted text>In Florida, you can go to the County Property Appraiser website and see a copy of the plat for your (or anybody else's) property. It will have the legal description and show the adjacent right of ways.

Also, many local governments require property owners to maintain the sidewalks and green spaces that are adjacent to their property.
Oops, I didn't expand your post :)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#28 Nov 19, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Around here, the city owns the property along the street, but the homeowner is still responsible for maintaining it (cutting grass on the opposite side of the driveway, if there is one, shoveling snow within 24 hours after a snowfall, etc). You also must have a permit to remove a tree along that area.
When I lived in AZ The city basically abandoned the alley and I was told I have to maintain it, cut weeds, etc. only problem was the previous owner put in a fence with no back gate. I had to go around half a block for access. needless to say not very often. I think I got one notice from the city in 10 years.
pde

Palatine, IL

#29 Nov 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
It depends. Some of my neighbors stopped mowing their frontage on a major road two summers back, and when the town tried to go after them for it, it was discovered it was county right of way (county road) and the county actually WAS responsible for mowing it.

The county now does mow it.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#30 Nov 19, 2013
I think I was told that I own the land, but the city grants itself access to it. I just went to the property appraisers site, and if The photo's with the lines are accurate, about 4ft of my neighbors garage is on my property.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#31 Nov 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
I think I was told that I own the land, but the city grants itself access to it. I just went to the property appraisers site, and if The photo's with the lines are accurate, about 4ft of my neighbors garage is on my property.
<quoted text>
Better investigate that and do something about it if it is on your land or else they could end up owning that land via adverse possession.
pde

Palatine, IL

#32 Nov 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the garage exist when you bought the property, and did you have a survey done at the time of purchase? I'd go look at that survey rather than the government's site. I've seen a lot of vaguely wrong plats on county sites.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#33 Nov 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
In Illinois they make us buy title insurance. Take a look at your closing documents. If FL or your mortgage lender required it, there is an exception to the title, it will show up there and may actually be written in language you can understand.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#34 Nov 19, 2013
2: I wish my simpleton neighbors got anxiety so I could call them a name and scare them away.
They just got another puppy and I see them let it crap in my backyard! I'm in a townhome! Ours yards are pretty tiny but I love how they conveniently let it step over to me. Next time, I'm staring and glaring and filming, since they did NOT pick it up.
Jerks.
Then, it's a letter to the HOA.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#35 Nov 19, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
2: I wish my simpleton neighbors got anxiety so I could call them a name and scare them away.
They just got another puppy and I see them let it crap in my backyard! I'm in a townhome! Ours yards are pretty tiny but I love how they conveniently let it step over to me. Next time, I'm staring and glaring and filming, since they did NOT pick it up.
Jerks.
Then, it's a letter to the HOA.
Or you could walk out and say something to them.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#36 Nov 19, 2013
I plugged in the county appraiser site and was directed to an office for property tax assessment. I'll stop into the town hall and ask them. They'll probably direct me to the county appraiser's office. Who will then direct me to city hall. Ah, government.
Julie

Chicago, IL

#37 Nov 19, 2013
LW1: Sweet F'ing Jebus, I hope your letter is fake.
And if it isn't fake, I hope you do the entire planet a *huge* favor by driving off a cliff asap.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#38 Nov 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could walk out and say something to them.
Sweetie, they are simpletons.
I have said stuff and it's like it goes in one ear and out the other.
Decently nice but oh so ignorant ad goobers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,535,915
An EF-5 tornado would knock the Willis Tower ri... 3 hr Storm guy 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Soros King Maker 240,961
News Chicago's population decline continues for the ... 3 hr Unhappy American 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr Comrades 105,189
Trump Just Sux 9 hr Old Yellow Dog 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr SweLL GirL 10,710

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages