Should 16-year-olds drive?

Sep 8, 2008 Read more: Chicago Tribune 766
It's a question that could reverberate across the country, wherever a new teen driver is turning a key in an ignition. Read more
First Prev
of 39
Next Last
Paul

Garland, TX

#1 Sep 8, 2008
The problem is the same as it always is - you can not get around without a car in this country... with few exceptions.
coy

United States

#2 Sep 8, 2008
If your gonna remove 16 year olds "for safety's sake" then how about everyone over 65? or cell phone users? or heaven help us drunk drivers?.I mean how many chances do they get, 6? 7? Not too mention just because a teenage driver is involved in an accident, who's it with? a soccer mom? a sales person turning right on red because their car will fit in a space?

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 8, 2008
From the article: "Also, the teen brain is at a particularly vulnerable point in development. Fifteen- and 16-year-olds have the logical reasoning of an adult, experts say. But their young minds' social and emotional development remains relatively immature and voraciously seeks sensual arousal, novelty and risk."

Okay, but is the only answer to that problem to raise the minimum driving age? What about exposing developing minds to fewer of these provocations?

What this article leaves out is that the automobile industry is the largest advertiser in the world, and their products are the number one killer of children and young people in the U.S. While the Tribune is to be commended for raising awareness of the dangers of teenage driving, they are also complicit in this marketing onslaught, in which the message is very carefully crafted to encourages kids not just to want cars, but to associate them with exactly the kind of "sensual arousal, novelty, and risk" which gets them killed.

Newspapers are not allowed to advertise cigarettes because we know that children and young people are particularly susceptible to such marketing tactics, and that the products are deadly. But this is just as true, if not more so, with automobiles. We do so much to try to protect our kids from messages that we think might be harmful: sex, drugs, violence. But none of these things kill as many kids as cars do.

If the Tribune is really serious about reducing traffic fatalities among young people, they should reconsider their role in the promotion of the automobile and car culture. On some days the Tribune has more pages of automobile ads than news. And every year when the Auto Show comes around, the Tribune lavishes it with attention, and helps to further the glorification of cars. The automobile industry is selling kids their own deaths, and some of the blood is on the hands of the Chicago Tribune.
typo

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 9, 2008
No. Lower the drinking age to 18 and the driving minimum to 21.

Since: Aug 08

Crystal Lake

#6 Sep 9, 2008
Paul wrote:
The problem is the same as it always is - you can not get around without a car in this country... with few exceptions.
There are more than a few exceptions. The bike/bus/train/walk combo can cover a lot of ground. I do it myself.
Catriona

Sydney, Australia

#7 Sep 9, 2008
I strongly agree the driving age should be 17 or 18 and not as low as 14 1/4-16 as is the case in USA. I live in Australia where the driving age also varies between states it is 17 in all states except Victoria where I live it is 19. We have a GDL for all new drivers of any age. Most people wait until 20s to get a licence as drinking at 18 (drinking age) is seen as more of a right of passage.

I am 28 and last week got my licence. In Victoria Nineteen (driving age) or twenty year olds have what is known as P1 (probation 1) they are required to. There are few of these as most people go for their Ps in their 20s some older. I am allowed to drive on my own with restrictions.

* Restrictions on driving high powered vehicles
* Display Red P plates on front and back of car you are driving
* 00 Blood Alcohol Concentration whilst driving
* Carry probationary licence at all times whilst driving
* Can only drive automatic vehicles
* No towing a trailer (unless for work)
* no mobile (cell phone) use at all including handsfree
* Only carry one passenger aged 15-21

Those aged 21+ and 19-20 year olds after a year go into P2 (probation stage 2) for three years. I am in this catergory and I am required to.

* Display Green P plates on front and back of car you are driving

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Since: Mar 08

Chicago

#9 Sep 9, 2008
Catriona wrote:
I strongly agree the driving age should be 17 or 18 and not as low as 14 1/4-16 as is the case in USA. I live in Australia where the driving age also varies between states it is 17 in all states except Victoria where I live it is 19. We have a GDL for all new drivers of any age. Most people wait until 20s to get a licence as drinking at 18 (drinking age) is seen as more of a right of passage.
I am 28 and last week got my licence. In Victoria Nineteen (driving age) or twenty year olds have what is known as P1 (probation 1) they are required to. There are few of these as most people go for their Ps in their 20s some older. I am allowed to drive on my own with restrictions.
* Display Red P plates on front and back of car you are driving
* No towing a trailer (unless for work)
* no mobile (cell phone) use at all including handsfree
* Only carry one passenger aged 15-21
Those aged 21+ and 19-20 year olds after a year go into P2 (probation stage 2) for three years. I am in this catergory and I am required to.
* Display Green P plates on front and back of car you are driving
Now THATS the way to do it!

You guys got the right idea! Good job! Throw another shrimp on the barbie!
Lori

Schaumburg, IL

#11 Sep 9, 2008
i say no. unless the kid buys his own car, pays for his own repairs, insurance and has a job.
reni paullo

Elgin, IL

#12 Sep 9, 2008
Yes ,the ones who earn and respect the privilege. Why should those who earn the privilege be forced to wait because of the few causing the problems. Have the parents instill the right virtues and many of these problems would subside.
Catriona

Sydney, Australia

#13 Sep 9, 2008
Joey K wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THATS the way to do it!
You guys got the right idea! Good job! Throw another shrimp on the barbie!
Thanks I think we do it right too driving isn't something kids rush off and do here. Parents strongly support the higher driving age and the restrictions. They would rather courier kids or get them to catch public transport than die in a car accident. Most encourage their kids to wait until their early 20s. As a newly licenced 28 year old sure it is a litle annoying but if the restrictions are going to save lives IMO it is worth it. Yes 16 or yuong is way too yuong unless supervised.
reni paullo

Elgin, IL

#15 Sep 9, 2008
Exactly what kinds of kids do you have or have you experienced? Either way, the experience does not seem to have been favorable.
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Sep 9, 2008
We need to balance the teens with the elderly. Restrict teens to driving at 18 years of age, but the elderly stop driving at 70.

Finally, make cars mobile phone free zones. Mobile phones make normal drives act like drivers over 70 years of age.
reni paullo

Elgin, IL

#17 Sep 9, 2008
zermatt wrote:
We need to balance the teens with the elderly. Restrict teens to driving at 18 years of age, but the elderly stop driving at 70.
Finally, make cars mobile phone free zones. Mobile phones make normal drives act like drivers over 70 years of age.
You said one good thing out of three. Cell phones need to be addressed, the other two things are stupid.
Voter

Pasadena, CA

#18 Sep 9, 2008
Anyone older than 70 should not be allowed to drive anything larger than a Camry. There is nothing more frustrating that sharing the road with an 80 pound 95 year old driving a Lincoln Town Car who can barely stay in their own lane, drive more than 10 under the speed limit or who take all day to turn their car around the corner.
Hiney BIrd

Orland Park, IL

#19 Sep 9, 2008
....And how many adults over 16 were killed last year?....How many adults were killed driving drunk or on drugs?...How many seniors were killed while driving last year?....

I would bet that it's significantly more than 17...
u gotta be kidding

Fort Wayne, IN

#20 Sep 9, 2008
More from the NANNY STATE and Insurance industry shills. Life has risks people, quit trying to legislate every risk away.
Whoa

Chicago, IL

#21 Sep 9, 2008
Folks wake up who do you think is proposing this raising of the driving age? Yep it's your good friends in the insurance industry. It's about increasing their profits they don't give a gosh darn about safety. They care about money. They've lined their pockets with seat belt laws and ridiculously restrictive child seat laws already, now they want to get kids off the road. Stop letting corporations tell you what to do!
David

Chicago, IL

#22 Sep 9, 2008
I got my license when I was 16 after getting my learner's permit at 15. I've never had an accident or even a ticket. The thing that struck me the most about licensing teen drivers was how many bad drivers were able to get licenses. Why don't we just start taking licensing tests seriously? The insurance companies can also simply raise their rates. That is what insurance does. If it's unprofitable for them to insure teens at current rates then they should simply raise them. They probably want the age raised because they know that if they raise teens' rates their parents might reconsider their choice of insurance company. I think we also need to do a study comparing drivers who have been licensed for the same amount of time. How does a 16-year old driver who's had his license for a month compare with a 23-year old who also just got his license?
Left Chicago

Chicago, IL

#23 Sep 9, 2008
Teens already have a 100 hour pre-licensing driving requirement in Illinois. An adult can go 60 years without ever being subjected to a road test. I'm much more concerned about adults driving in various states of physical or mental impairment that continue to drive until they ram their car through the Dunkin Donuts window. We've addressed the teen issue. The adults are the folks that scare me.
Yippers

Elgin, IL

#24 Sep 9, 2008
I defiantely think that the age should be pushed up to 18. All of my accidents were from the ages of 16-18. I just did not have enough reaction time. I thought I drove defensively but I just was not mature enough. We didn't have cell phones back then. Those are lethal when you mix teens and a car. I had a major head on collision which was not my fault, but I think if I was older, I might have turned the wheel fast or braked or something. Someone hit me on the passenger side and moved me into on comming traffic. I am all for raising the age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 39
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min OzRitz 52,699
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min Quirky 1,216,673
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques in Orleans 186,850
amy april 17 1 hr duke86 2
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Cold Front 69,604
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr PEllen 99,354
News From the scene of downtown shooting: 'It looked... 9 hr reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]