First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#21 May 13, 2013
I think it is important, that many party regulars..Bobby Jendal, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, etc......have been speaking out for the GOP to drop tea party ties and start moving back toward the center....give's me hope that they might get back to respectability and reason.....
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#22 May 13, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
I think it is important, that many party regulars..Bobby Jendal, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, etc......have been speaking out for the GOP to drop tea party ties and start moving back toward the center....give's me hope that they might get back to respectability and reason.....
True, the "regulars" are saying that. But the regulars do not reflect the thinking of the grass roots now, the Tea Party does. The regulars are people like Georgia's Senator Saxby Chambliss, who is retiring because he knows that he will be defeated in the next Republican primary. Paul Broun will likely be the Republican nominee to fill Chambliss' seat in the Senate and he will likely be elected. Here in Kentucky the Tea Party is complaining that Senator Mitch McConnell is "not a real conservative" and is scouring the hills looking for another Rand Paul to challenge him in the next primary.

If you want to know what is going on the the Republican Party, go to a few local county meetings. That's where the Tea Party ideology is rooted, and it will take as long to change away from it as it did for the Republicans to oust the Dixiecrats. Only chance I see for a quick change is for the Christian Reconstructionists and the economic Libertarian types to have a falling out. When that happens the Republican Convention could break up in a brawl that makes the breakup of the Democrats in 1860 look mild. What will emerge out of it is anybody's guess, but I'm betting on a split in the party and regionalization of its Religious Right elements in the Bible Belt. That will lead to legislative deadlock. Then, some years down the road, 4 or 8, a new Center Party will emerge that is composed of RINO ex-Republicans and "Blue Dog" Democrats. It will become the dominant party, while the remnant Republicans are a minority party on the Right and the remnant Democrats are a minority party on the Left.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#23 May 14, 2013
Budget Deficit Shrinking

There is some good news in this from the CBO, but I don't quite know what to make of it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/natio...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#24 May 15, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Budget Deficit Shrinking
There is some good news in this from the CBO, but I don't quite know what to make of it.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/natio...
It's a signal that the nation's finances are improving....also that this administration has cut spending substancially.....Guess the Tea Party does'nt want that news getting out.....
Benselys best

Nashua, NH

#25 May 15, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>It's a signal that the nation's finances are improving....also that this administration has cut spending substancially.....Guess the Tea Party does'nt want that news getting out.....
To suggest something is shrinking or growing is an meaningless unless a percentage amount of growth or reduction is in the equation.

Yes the deficit growing by less than it was before, but the percentage of reduction won't cause you to cheer.

The Obama tax increases that went into effect this year are adding more money for this administration & congress to waste.
Also takes more money out of the hands of consumers who could fuel a full recovery if government at every level let them keep and spend money.

Look America and our economy is in serious trouble, Both parties all presidents for the past 50 years are responsible and have brought us to this danger point.

Consider we have 16 federal agencies in charge of security protecting America and those Russian morons still managed to sneak through all of Americans security??

We pay for too much government at every level that just doesn't work as designed , too expensive, too many layers of mismanagers, layers of needlessly complicated regulations.

Now the IRS mess?? and these people are going to administer obozo care??

The total effect of all of the layers of government is we are over taxed and are less protected.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#26 May 15, 2013
...APRIL SURPLUS LOWERS U.S. BUDGET DEFICIT....(5-11-13)..The U.S. government reported a rare surplus of $113 billion for April-the largest in five years and a sign of the nation's improving finances.....Steady economic growth and higher tax rates have boosted the tax revenue in recent months, keeping this year's annual budget deficit on pace to be the smallest since 2008....A smaller deficit is also likely to give negotiator's more time to work out a deal on raising the nation's borrowing limit....Through the first seven months of the budget year, the deficit was $488 billion, according to the Treasury. That's lower than last year's deficit of $720 billion over the same period.......
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#27 May 15, 2013
The overall economy may have gotten better, and the deficit is shrinking, but the "progress" came at a terrible cost. Public education, both K-12 and college, has been literally gutted. Some states have cut higher education funding by over 50 percent since 2008. Federal funds to K-12 have also been greatly reduced.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/...

Overall, there are far more Americans who are far worse off now than they were 10 years ago. And they are NOT worse off because of higher taxes. They are worse off because of the fact that wealth has gushed upward. The rich have gotten a LOT richer while everybody else has gotten poorer. Our distribution of wealth is starting to look like that of a typical Third World country.

The solution, I repeat, is to IMPOSE VERY HIGH TAXES ON THE RICH and spend the money of infrastructure, education, etc. That will create jobs just like it did in the years 1945-1985.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#28 May 15, 2013
Unless we redistribute wealth and restructure the economy the current 15-25 generation is going to go down in history as "America's Wasted Generation".

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/innocence-los...
Yeah Right

Orange City, FL

#29 May 15, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Unless we redistribute wealth and restructure the economy the current 15-25 generation is going to go down in history as "America's Wasted Generation".
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/innocence-los...
You can spread that fertilizer somewhere else, Farmer.

No one is 'redistributing' any of my wealth. I made sure I had a very good education and I went to public school. I managed my money and put aside savings for the cycles of financial peaks and valleys. It's just whinning of those who have not blaming those who have.

Your opinions are just that...opinions. You can quote and attach all the internet sites you want to, but the real fact of the matter is that those who didn't apply themselves in school had to take low end jobs and squandered and continue to squander their money so now they all cry fowl.

There is money to be made in any economic climate. It's just those who don't know how to want to blame corporate America, the government, their employer and anyone else except at themselves.

Your prediction of a 'wasted generation' sounds familiar. Didn't Aristole predict the same thing hundreds of years ago?
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#30 May 15, 2013
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You can spread that fertilizer somewhere else, Farmer.
No one is 'redistributing' any of my wealth. I made sure I had a very good education and I went to public school. I managed my money and put aside savings for the cycles of financial peaks and valleys. It's just whinning of those who have not blaming those who have.
Your opinions are just that...opinions. You can quote and attach all the internet sites you want to, but the real fact of the matter is that those who didn't apply themselves in school had to take low end jobs and squandered and continue to squander their money so now they all cry fowl.
There is money to be made in any economic climate. It's just those who don't know how to want to blame corporate America, the government, their employer and anyone else except at themselves.
Your prediction of a 'wasted generation' sounds familiar. Didn't Aristole predict the same thing hundreds of years ago?
First off, I doubt that you are rich. You just think that you are. You are actually middle class, and likely not even in the top half of the middle class. The real rich are the tiny handful of billionaires who own most of the wealth. Their yearly income runs into the hundreds of millions, some in to the billions.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#31 May 15, 2013
...I have been sharp enough in business, to have also prospered in the last 5 years, especially in the stock market....Frankly, i am sick of so-called patriots continual howling about what this "black" President did to the economy...wish they would only be honest about it.....
Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel

Oswego, IL

#32 May 16, 2013
Detroit is a microcosm of America. In the 50's - early 60's Detroit was the production epicenter of the world! Its work ethic was the envy of the world. The city had very little crime with nice clean neighborhoods until the democrats moved in and started to regulate and control. The dems taught workers that you need to get more sick days even if you don't get sick. So then you don't have to take care of yourself and if you do get sick and can't work, you will still get paid for it. And then you're doing too much work, so we'll hire 8 people to do the job of 1 person and then by 1974 Chrysler's wouldn't start! Mayor Coleman Young brainwashed people to not be productive. He actually spoke of sitting down and doing nothing (ie not working) and that he'll tax (ie take) from those that are productive and send it down to those who elect to not work! I now give you the canker sore, the embarassment of Detroit 2013 where President bo is modeling the direction of America on Detroit.
Yeah Right

Orange City, FL

#33 May 16, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I doubt that you are rich. You just think that you are. You are actually middle class, and likely not even in the top half of the middle class. The real rich are the tiny handful of billionaires who own most of the wealth. Their yearly income runs into the hundreds of millions, some in to the billions.
You hit it right on the head, I am not rich and certainly in the middle class, and not at the top.

I do, however, earned what have and saved instead of spent. Never financed a depreciating assest and saved to spend instead spent using credit. I've always set a budget and stuck to it. It's not been easy but having to 'live paycheck to paycheck' must be a hell of alot harder.

I really don't care about millionaires and billionaires and what they do, more power to em. But here's there is a lesson to be learned from them, they know about money and that is the difference between those that have and those that don't.

Take a look at those complaining about what they don't have...no real education, no savings, dead end or no job. But they have a two hundred dollar cell phone with a two year contract, Jordan sneakers, tatoos and jewelry. That's what's important to them, not
taking that money and saving and investing wisely. They made themselves what they are today and now they don't like it.

If you're forty years old, your house should be two thirds paid off, your outstanding debt other than your home should be no more than ten percent of your annual income and have no less than one hundred thousand dollars in liquid assets. If you don't, it's a safe bet you spent your money on dining out, financing cars and credit cards.
bensleys best

Nashua, NH

#34 May 16, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
The overall economy may have gotten better, and the deficit is shrinking, but the "progress" came at a terrible cost. Public education, both K-12 and college, has been literally gutted. Some states have cut higher education funding by over 50 percent since 2008. Federal funds to K-12 have also been greatly reduced.
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/...

Oh get a life already !
America waste Billions of dollars on the administration of education.
Consider the Federal Dept of Education in Maryland has thousand employees just handing paper work doing busy work , each of the fifty states and the District all have large expensive departments of education , all cities and counties have more departments of education with lots more over head not in a class room.
then schools have more layers of administration and none of the money spent gets to a class room where it's needed.
Want to reduce cost of education reduce the too many layers of administration mismanagers. Put more money in the class room and dump the dummy administrators.
Overall, there are far more Americans who are far worse off now than they were 10 years ago. And they are NOT worse off because of higher taxes. They are worse off because of the fact that wealth has gushed upward. The rich have gotten a LOT richer while everybody else has gotten poorer. Our distribution of wealth is starting to look like that of a typical Third World country.
The solution, I repeat, is to IMPOSE VERY HIGH TAXES ON THE RICH and spend the money of infrastructure, education, etc. That will create jobs just like it did in the years 1945-1985.
Oh Get a life already get into the real world.

We wa

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min ObamaLogic 1,154,168
The Violence in Chicago is from Gangs and Not t... 34 min Culture Auditor 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 58 min Jacques Ottawa 181,844
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 49,225
daughter/father appropriate physical contact (Mar '12) 1 hr WOW 16
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 71,064
abby 12-21 3 hr PEllen 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:31 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:31AM
Detroit Lions vs. Chicago Bears: Live Chicago Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 8:50 AM
Kyle Long inactive for Sunday's game vs. Detroit
NBC Sports 9:03 AM
Jay Cutler active vs. Lions, will back up Jimmy Clausen
Bleacher Report 9:23 AM
Indianapolis Colts vs. Dallas Cowboys: Live Dallas Score and Analysis
NBC Sports10:20 AM
Jimmy Clausen unimpressive early in Chicago