Comments
21 - 40 of 78 Comments Last updated Jun 21, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 20, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Child endangerment (and manslaughter) charges. So while if you're single, you get to leave loaded guns lying around, if you're a parent it's not so "legal."
Then there's this in Illinois:

"Current Illinois law prohibits the carrying of an immediately accessible or loaded firearm on your person or in your vehicle regardless of whether it is concealed. Anyone having a loaded, accessible gun, even if you have a firearm owner's identification card, is subject to arrest.

On June 4, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals extended the time for the current law to remain in place until July 9, or when a new law goes into effect, whichever happens first."

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 20, 2013
 
Why is it illegal for him to have a loaded gun on his kitchen table?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
"I call bs. I can keep a loaded gun on my kitchen table and not be breaking any laws. Maybe he was prosecuted for not supervising a four and two year old? "
He is either picking a fight or can't grasp the concept that an individual can indeed get prosecuted for having a loaded gun laying around.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jun 20, 2013
 
That is for carrying off your property, either on your person or in your vehicle. That does not extend to inside your home. Thought I believe they were trying to make it a crime to carry on your porch, dont know how that went though.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there's this in Illinois:
"Current Illinois law prohibits the carrying of an immediately accessible or loaded firearm on your person or in your vehicle regardless of whether it is concealed. Anyone having a loaded, accessible gun, even if you have a firearm owner's identification card, is subject to arrest.
On June 4, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals extended the time for the current law to remain in place until July 9, or when a new law goes into effect, whichever happens first."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jun 20, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there's this in Illinois:
"Current Illinois law prohibits the carrying of an immediately accessible or loaded firearm on your person or in your vehicle regardless of whether it is concealed. Anyone having a loaded, accessible gun, even if you have a firearm owner's identification card, is subject to arrest.
On June 4, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals extended the time for the current law to remain in place until July 9, or when a new law goes into effect, whichever happens first."
That doesn't mention in the home, so I am going to interpret that as "on your person" = outside of your home.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jun 20, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
Why is it illegal for him to have a loaded gun on his kitchen table?
<quoted text>
It's not illegal to have the loaded gun on his kitchen table until something happens.

I personally believe you're a stupid fool if you leave a loaded gun out.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jun 20, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't mention in the home, so I am going to interpret that as "on your person" = outside of your home.
Yes. I would assume that, too but I can see how it could get twisted.

I believe it is not a good idea to have a loaded gun out in the open anywhere. You cannot predict who, what, why would take it, use it, bump it and it fires (let's say you don't have the safety on), etc.

I guess if you're a hermit, never have anyone in your house it wouldn't be too much of a risk.

I don't know anyone like that, though, although I'm sure there are people like that.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jun 20, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
can't grasp the concept that an individual can indeed get prosecuted for having a loaded gun laying around.
That is patently untrue.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jun 20, 2013
 
This is an expression of your opinion concerning an action, somewhat different than calling Edog stupid. I expect you to differentiate between fact and opinion and be able to state the basis for your opinion once you have expressed it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jun 20, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there's this in Illinois:
"Current Illinois law prohibits the carrying of an immediately accessible or loaded firearm on your person or in your vehicle regardless of whether it is concealed. Anyone having a loaded, accessible gun, even if you have a firearm owner's identification card, is subject to arrest.
On June 4, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals extended the time for the current law to remain in place until July 9, or when a new law goes into effect, whichever happens first."
That's regarding carrying guns OUTSIDE the home, as we don't have conceal carry in Illinois. Yet.

Now who's stupidity is showing?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jun 20, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
This is an expression of your opinion concerning an action, somewhat different than calling Edog stupid. I expect you to differentiate between fact and opinion and be able to state the basis for your opinion once you have expressed it.
Do you now?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jun 20, 2013
 
Now you're changing what you said, and it is making your stupid show.

There is nothing illegal about having a loaded gun on your kitchen table. Nothing at all.

And I believe you are incorrect in calling someone who does such a thing a stupid fool.

A stupid fool is someone who sticks his head in a alligators mouth. An irresponsible gun owner is someone who leaves a loaded weapon on his kitchen table unattended while other people unfamiliar with the use and care of firearms are in his home.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not illegal to have the loaded gun on his kitchen table until something happens.
I personally believe you're a stupid fool if you leave a loaded gun out.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jun 20, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
This is an expression of your opinion concerning an action, somewhat different than calling Edog stupid. I expect you to differentiate between fact and opinion and be able to state the basis for your opinion once you have expressed it.
First of all -- let me make myself clear to you. You can expect anything, doesn't mean you'll get it. You are not my mother or anyone's mother on here. Edog can takre care of himself quite well.

I'll play along though since you want to get literal.

The post was:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends. A dad here was prosecuted this summer for keeping a loaded gun in his bed. Four-year-old found it, shot and killed two-year-old brother. Dad got four years for not keeping the gun away from the kids.

Edog wrote:
I call bs. I can keep a loaded gun on my kitchen table and not be breaking any laws. Maybe he was prosecuted for not supervising a four and two year old?

It was obvious -- at lesat to me ( guess not to YOU -- that Red was talking about a father getting prosecuted for keeping a handgun where a 4 year old could have access to it.

Then Edog was either playing stupid -- not getting the fact it was b/c the gun was accessible to a 4 year old and the adult was responsible for that child and for his loaded gun, or he was doing his usual changing the subject.

Feel better now?

It really drives me nuts when there is a clear connection in someone's post and someone plays stupid like they cannot see the connection.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jun 20, 2013
 
Minnesota has carry. You CAN conceal, but you don't have to. BUt walking around with a gun on display is sure to draw some unwanted attention.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jun 20, 2013
 
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's regarding carrying guns OUTSIDE the home, as we don't have conceal carry in Illinois. Yet.
Now who's stupidity is showing?
C'mon edog -- you live in Illinois. You can't see someone bending this rule to fit a myriad of situations?

Let's say you have a loaded gun on you inside your house. For whatever reason. Or let's say on your kitchen table. Let's stick with the kitchen table. You forget to put the safety on if it has one.

You forget you left your gym bag on the floor as you're walking and you trip right into the table, the gun flings off from the force, fires and you window is open and, just by happenstance, the bullet lodges into the kid playing next door in the backyard.

Oh I can see them applying the law to that and anything else they can get their hands on.

Since: May 13

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jun 20, 2013
 
LW1: I believe I shared with you the story of my parent's next-door neighbors when the original letter posted. So here's a rehash to go with today's rehash: This couple used to go to the neighborhood bar and get wasted Friday and Saturday night. Then they'd come home and fight. Sometimes during the fight, the man would take out his loaded gun and point it at his wife. The last time he did it, he shot her 3 times in the abdomen. She covered her abdomen with her hand and he shot off the end of her little finger. Then he blew his brains out. She called 911 and waited outside for the ambulance. Miraculously, she survived. BTW, this couple was very nice when they weren't stupid drunk and fighting.

Booze and guns do not mix.

Gramps may get drunk and take out the gun six more times before something horrible happens, or it may never happen. But do you want to take that chance?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jun 20, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
Now you're changing what you said, and it is making your stupid show.
There is nothing illegal about having a loaded gun on your kitchen table. Nothing at all.
And I believe you are incorrect in calling someone who does such a thing a stupid fool.
A stupid fool is someone who sticks his head in a alligators mouth. An irresponsible gun owner is someone who leaves a loaded weapon on his kitchen table unattended while other people unfamiliar with the use and care of firearms are in his home.
<quoted text>
Oh, we'll disagree all day on whether it's wise or not to leave a loaded gun on a kitchen table whether or not people are there right then.

It's okay. I'm comfortable with that.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jun 20, 2013
 
I am not picking a fight with you. However, by cut-and-pasting the things that you are posting you have set a standard for yourself. That's where I am calling you out.

Edog bring a lot of grief onto his own head. He baits people and to that extent, he gets what he deserves. But he is entitled to his views as is Red ,Race and as are you.

If you choose to toss gratuitous comments about stupidity at someone be prepared acknowledge them as opinion or to back it up.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jun 20, 2013
 
Dear FSM! Hockey be damned, I've found my new favorite spectator sport. Do a google image search on "Turkish oil wrestling", ladies.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jun 20, 2013
 
Dammit, meant to post that in regs. I'll post it there, too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jun 20, 2013
 
Not all day, I do have other things to attend to.

Something being a wise choice is totally relative to the individual. Some here have said that I am unwise to carry outside my home, others have said I am unwise to carry Inside my home.
To me, both groups are wrong and have no clue as to the wisdom of my choices.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, we'll disagree all day on whether it's wise or not to leave a loaded gun on a kitchen table whether or not people are there right then.
It's okay. I'm comfortable with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

86 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,079,970
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 min Terry rigsby 48,913
Abby July 25, 2014 40 min Toj 8
Ask Amy July 25, 2014 45 min Toj 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 46 min Rogue Scholar 05 174,628
Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision 48 min Bridgeview resident 71
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 50 min Sublime1 97,539
Amy 7-24 3 hr Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 16 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••