Cop in battery case was drunk, police...

Cop in battery case was drunk, police say

There are 86 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 3, 2008, titled Cop in battery case was drunk, police say. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An off-duty Chicago police officer was legally drunk when he damaged a bar and later struck two Forest Park officers and a paramedic Saturday night, police in the west suburb said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

ICE

Aurora, IL

#70 Mar 4, 2008
Secret: CPD is hiring current CPD school crossing guards for the position of police officer- Wow have times changed within CPD!
FreddyF

Chicago, IL

#71 Mar 4, 2008
CPD Officer wrote:
A Police Officer who disrespects another Police Officer is no Police Officer. My apologies to the Forest Park PD. Richard Schmidt, while a member of our department, in no way represents us. He acted as an individual who apparently lacked the proper upbringing to know the difference between right and wrong. We can only hope that his days at CPD are numbered.
Amen! Acoording to the scum-times he's been relieved of his police powers.
Pig Buster

New York, NY

#73 Mar 4, 2008
CPD Officer wrote:
A Police Officer who disrespects another Police Officer is no Police Officer. My apologies to the Forest Park PD. Richard Schmidt, while a member of our department, in no way represents us. He acted as an individual who apparently lacked the proper upbringing to know the difference between right and wrong. We can only hope that his days at CPD are numbered.
Thank you for your honesty and rejection of this losers behavior. It is good to see we have respectable officer left somewhere on our streets.
chan ho

Schiller Park, IL

#74 Mar 4, 2008
FreddyF wrote:
<quoted text>Are you some sort of a child, or are you just goofy? This kid wasn't on duty when this happened. There was never any mention of a gun either. Because if he pulled his gun you know for damn sure the scum bag media would be all over it. Stop making sh!t up you goofy little kid, especially the part about having family on the job.
Obviously it's a good thing for the internet or you would probably bust your nightstick over my head. By the way, I pray daily that my two CPD brothers come home unharmed, even if I don't agree with their point of view. You illustrate PERFECTLY the culture that is sooo pervasive in the PD that they are right in all instances and the rest of us don't know what we are talking about and don't even have the right to voice an opposing position. I would like to thank every copper who responded here and spoke their minds how this bad apple should be fired. It's thug scum like him that make even law-abiding citizens loath the PD and question whether the law applies equally to all. And on a personal note, FreddyF, go "F" yourself!!
Ron Orland Park

AOL

#75 Mar 4, 2008
Blinded by the Blue light wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys are all joking right? Double standards you talk about? Do you really think this would have made the news outlets if this WASN"T an officer? The only reason you have heard about this is because this kid is a cop. What he did was wrong and he will definately pay the consequences. There are hundreds of people each weekend who damage bars and fight with police but you dont hear about them do you? In chicago they get charged with Criminal damage and battery, both misdemeanors and go back to their job on Monday! UNLESS your a cop, then its felony Agg Battery and your sent home, no job! Double standards? I laugh, there are double standards, but not the way YOU think!
They will find a sympathetic judge to let this guy off with a minimal penalty if any because he is is a cop and THAT is the double standard of justice. Hide behind your Blue Lights. By the way the word is spelled you're, not your sent home
City Cop

Springfield, IL

#76 Mar 4, 2008
CPD Officer wrote:
I usually comment on these boards but it is not necessary today. You summed everything up perfectly. Thank you for making that comment. We do not condone this behavior.
Craig

Chicago, IL

#77 Mar 4, 2008
Have no fear fellow officers. Mr Schmidt will walk out of this with a clean record (as he should). He was having a good time, and the Forest Park policemen went after him.

The man is protecting our great city, and should get a free pass.
not police officer but

United States

#78 Mar 4, 2008
How come we did not here anything about the 100s of other people that caused probems in bars on saturday night in the chicago land area? Lets keep hanging our police officers out to dry. No one likes to do articles on the good things they do day in and day out. Look around, this city turning to crap and let me tell you its not because some cop caused problems in a bar. Support your local law inforcement, you never know you might need them one day.
FreddyF

Springfield, IL

#79 Mar 4, 2008
chan ho wrote:
<quoted text> Obviously it's a good thing for the internet or you would probably bust your nightstick over my head. By the way, I pray daily that my two CPD brothers come home unharmed, even if I don't agree with their point of view. You illustrate PERFECTLY the culture that is sooo pervasive in the PD that they are right in all instances and the rest of us don't know what we are talking about and don't even have the right to voice an opposing position. I would like to thank every copper who responded here and spoke their minds how this bad apple should be fired. It's thug scum like him that make even law-abiding citizens loath the PD and question whether the law applies equally to all. And on a personal note, FreddyF, go "F" yourself!!
I never said I was always right..I just stated that you were wrong. This cops a clown and no one, including me, condones what he did. He deserves what he gets. I also don't bust people over the head for having an opinion.
Chicago Copper

Chicago, IL

#80 Mar 4, 2008
Thanks to screw ups like Schmidt you morons classify the entire Chicago police department (15,000 members) as crooked. Is this not the definition of stereotyping???

Blacks, Hispanics, Whites, etc.. don't like it when a others who share their cultural/econimic classification do bad/stupid things but people just like those who have commented on this would never dare say "all blacks are..." "all Hispanics are...". You people make me sick!!

I worked in Engelwood with him and I have known him since I have known this guy he was a hot headed drunk. He screwed up and now will have to pay for it, as he should.
Bob

Elkhart, IN

#81 Mar 4, 2008
chan ho wrote:
<quoted text> Obviously it's a good thing for the internet or you would probably bust your nightstick over my head. By the way, I pray daily that my two CPD brothers come home unharmed, even if I don't agree with their point of view. You illustrate PERFECTLY the culture that is sooo pervasive in the PD that they are right in all instances and the rest of us don't know what we are talking about and don't even have the right to voice an opposing position. I would like to thank every copper who responded here and spoke their minds how this bad apple should be fired. It's thug scum like him that make even law-abiding citizens loath the PD and question whether the law applies equally to all. And on a personal note, FreddyF, go "F" yourself!!
Chan Ho,are you that guy from Hawaii Five-O ??
Rudy

AOL

#82 Mar 5, 2008
He was hot headed as a kid.
Terrell S

La Grange Park, IL

#83 Mar 5, 2008
this is what happens when they have patronage hirees..time to stop the chicago machine, get rid of the ridiculous residency requirements and bring in some real professional police from the suburbs. god know the suburbs are much more professional..and speaking as a black male, the city needs to stop promoting unqualified minorites to supervisors, their ingnorance and stupidity give us a bad rap! It insults and makes us look like we are all idiots!
Junior wrote:
How do they coe uo with so many thugs for the chicago force? I guess you will see if Weis is going to change anything. He should be fired on the spot.
Jaloc

United States

#84 Mar 5, 2008
No standards now look at who are the police

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#85 Mar 6, 2008
Actually Richie is a good kid, he's my younger brother's freind. He made a mistake and he is going to pay for it. We've been talking about him around my house and just shake our heads at how easy it is to ruin your life by one mistake. He could not have picked a worse time to make this mistake though, the new Chief has been waiting to make an example out of someone. I've known this kid for a long time and he has been coming to the house since my brother was little, he was not a "bad" kid by any means or even a tough guy for that matter. I just don't think it's fair to generalize and say the whole dept is bad based on a a few people. The kid made a mistake and will pay dearly by losing his job and possible jail time, I think that's enough for him. Think about it, we've all been drunk and done things that we regret the day....I do think though as CPD they need to project an image of being professional at all times when out in the public, whether on duty or not.

Chicago

#86 Mar 6, 2008
Rudy wrote:
He was hot headed as a kid.
That's what I remember too....

Chicago

#87 Mar 6, 2008
Terrell S wrote:
this is what happens when they have patronage hirees..time to stop the chicago machine, get rid of the ridiculous residency requirements and bring in some real professional police from the suburbs. god know the suburbs are much more professional..and speaking as a black male, the city needs to stop promoting unqualified minorites to supervisors, their ingnorance and stupidity give us a bad rap! It insults and makes us look like we are all idiots!
<quoted text>
Cops are more professional in the suburbs? It couldn't have anything to with the crime itself in the City? We have over 200 different gangs in Chicago fighting over turf and money, how many are in Wheaton?
Hey Terrell

Elmhurst, IL

#88 Mar 6, 2008
Terrell S wrote:
<quoted text>
LIKE THE CHIEF FROM CICERO?
SCOTT

AOL

#89 Mar 6, 2008
Richie always had been able to take a good fight and always came back for more. But he is not a kid anymore and lost a good paying job. Too bad.
MLK

United States

#90 Mar 11, 2008
Pig Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunatly, this idiot can be judged only on the stupidity that he displayed. Proves to the racist that all members of the CPD are capable of screwing up.
Fortunately, I can spell....IDIOT. Iím not the racist here. Wait, maybe I am. Iím racist against all the losers who simply say something about foreign people. Their remarks about how to get them out of the country are ridiculous. I can reply and post messages on these things acting as childish as they do. It is my choice and right as an AmericanÖlol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,564,922
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min Jacques Ottawa-O... 242,260
Any hot guys in Chicago ? 20-29 yo 1 hr Black Knight 5
WTF Over 2 hr Maxipad 1
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 2 hr Exposed 11
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 2 hr Exposed 68
Chicago has the Worst Women (Jun '16) 3 hr Liberal C Words 134

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages