Abby 6-16-13

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 16, 2013
DEAR ABBY: I am writing you not because of a problem, but because of two special people in my life.

I have two daughters, both in their 20s. They are well-educated and happy. I adore them. My wife and I consider ourselves lucky to be their parents. We never pushed them toward goals or to succeed, but they are self-motivated and confident.

I have come to the conclusion that some of us are quite blessed. I'd like you to know that at least two parents in this world realize that we are, and that we count our blessings. I am older now, and my relationship with my daughters continues to mature and grow. Older age has its joys, too -- some far deeper than I had ever imagined.-- AN APPRECIATIVE FATHER IN OREGON

DEAR APPRECIATIVE FATHER: Thank you for writing an "upper" of a letter. Your daughters didn't turn out so well by magic, and congratulations to you and your wife for what was obviously successful parenting. I would like to wish you a very happy Father's Day and offer the same to fathers everywhere -- birth fathers, stepfathers, adoptive fathers, foster fathers, and those caring men who mentor children and fill the role of absent fathers.

DEAR ABBY: My son is married to a wonderful young woman, "Dana," and they have a small baby. Dana suffered a brain injury years ago that left her somewhat developmentally delayed. Until the baby was born, it wasn't much of an issue, but it is becoming apparent that Dana is not always able to parent the child appropriately.(She will leave her on a table to get a diaper, doesn't feed her according to schedule and doesn't dress her warmly in cold weather.)

My son takes care of things when he's home, but he works every day. When I think of my own daughter's development, I see that Dana is operating at approximately a middle-teen level even though she's 28. Can you advise what I can do to ensure my granddaughter is safe and secure without making my daughter-in-law feel inadequate? I don't want to seem like a meddling M-I-L.-- LOVES DANA

DEAR LOVES DANA: If Dana would leave the baby on a table while she went to get a diaper, would she also leave the baby in a tub while she went to answer a phone? If you haven't voiced your concerns to your son, please do because your granddaughter could be seriously injured. Parenting classes might help your daughter-in-law, or involving a social worker or arranging for day care for the baby could also solve this problem.

DEAR ABBY: My wife of 37 years is calling out another man's name and moving her lips in her sleep. I don't recognize the name and I believe it might be someone she works with. Should I be concerned?-- SLEEPLESS IN TEXAS

DEAR SLEEPLESS: You should be curious, but sleep-talking is not necessarily indicative of romance. If you haven't already, ask her who the man of her dreams is. She could be mumbling the name of an old boyfriend from high school or that of a beloved pet from childhood.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 Jun 16, 2013
Mid teens and developmentally delayed women can have babies and can bring them up successfully. Dana is not functioning at that level. Parenting classes may help.

I am more concerned about the baby failing off a table than not dressing it warmly. The Scandinavians acclimate their infants to cold by dressing them more lightly than US parents do and eh kids grow up fine.

There is an old movie and a more recent play called Light in the Piazza which addresses a romance between a girl like Dana and an Italian boy. It ends at the wedding. This is what happens afterwards.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#3 Jun 16, 2013
1- Go blow it out your @zz, you obnoxious blow-hard. Think you're the only two people who appreciate what they have in life?? And by the way, I fked both your daughters.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#4 Jun 16, 2013
Learn to act like a man and maybe someday you can learn how to be a dad.
edogxxx wrote:
1- Go blow it out your @zz, you obnoxious blow-hard. Think you're the only two people who appreciate what they have in life?? And by the way, I fked both your daughters.
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

#5 Jun 16, 2013
LW1 and LW2 are okay.

LW3 needs to stop giving Texas a bad name.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Jun 16, 2013
LW2 - Leaving the baby on a table while you get a diaper is not a good idea. But not feeding her "according to schedule" sounds a bit strange. I never fed my kids according to any schedules. They nursed when they were hungry. It took me a little while to learn the "hungry" cry, but once I did, it was easy. As for dressing the babies warmly in cold weather, it all depends on what the baby is actually wearing and how cold the weather is. If the baby is taken out in a short-sleeve onesie when it's 40 degrees outside, the mother is off her rocker. If the baby is wearing a sweater and has a blanket when it's 40 degrees, it's fine.

Chicago, IL

#7 Jun 16, 2013
LW1: Good for you, Dad. I hope your arm doesn't break from reaching around to pat yourself on the back so hard.

LW2: Leaving the baby on the changing table? Yes, that's a problem. Not feeding the baby "according to schedule"? That is YOUR problem, lady.

LW3: I don't give a flying F.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Dr Guru 198,695
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,293,622
cubs 1 hr Joey 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr mdbuilder 54,980
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Jane Dahlinger 100,883
(28) Qualitat kitchen review 4 hr siticuy 1
News Funding for Chicago's anti-violence programs fr... 4 hr Joey 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages