Rising veterinary bills present pet o...

Rising veterinary bills present pet owners with a painful choice

There are 230 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 24, 2009, titled Rising veterinary bills present pet owners with a painful choice. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When Teresa turned sluggish and started wearing out her litter box four years ago, Rich and Cheryl Mealle brought their black, short-haired cat to the vet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

United States

#127 Jul 25, 2009
"I worked 28 years in law enforcement in Chicago so I have a right to this statement. I have no use for most of the world and really could care less for most people."

We know.PIG.

Carmi, IL

#128 Jul 25, 2009
Our local vets do not charge to put an animal down. Once I took an older cat in; it tested positive for feline leukemia. Later, when the vet placed the constricting band on the upper foreleg,(prior to the injection) that cat knew what was coming. That animal went thru 60 secomds of terror. I will never put another animal thru that type of distress again. I do like the animals around here; I spend a lot at the vet. I like them enough that I will humanely kill them myself when the time comes.

North Aurora, IL

#129 Jul 25, 2009
jay98 wrote:
they should be ashamed
... Yes, they should be.
too old

New Haven, IN

#130 Jul 25, 2009
$100 to put a fish to sleep? I'll put it to sleep for free.*flush*

Oh, and thank goodness the Santay family had good sense about money and cost vs what really matters. I cannot fathom spending more than $1000 on a pet (hence why I don't own one).

Bottom line, it's an animal. You can live without it. Especially in today's economic climate,$15000 can make all the difference.

Michigan City, IN

#131 Jul 25, 2009
I love my pet...but $14,000 worth of love? No. I'm sure in a few years this same couple will be crying that the economy is bad and it's all GW's fault, wanna bet?
Disapointed Reader

Grand Rapids, MI

#132 Jul 25, 2009
Seriously? The chicago tribune thinks a story about a cat needing a kidney transplant is front page material? You've got stories about 3 people getting shot by an off-duty cop, and you're focusing on some couple's cat ... lame ...

Harwood Heights, IL

#133 Jul 25, 2009
Jean Genie wrote:
The smart thing would have been to let the cat die and give the 14K to a charity. After all, its only a cat, just go get another one. They are replaceable.
Pets are not disposable.

“What type of f--kery is this??”

Since: Dec 07

South Shore/Chatham

#134 Jul 25, 2009
GGG wrote:
Good for them. I'd rather spend $14,000 on my cat than on helping poor people in Chicago. At least my cat will never carjack or shoot me.
Those people you are referring to are POOR PEOPLE...NOT CRIMINALS...people think its criminals that destroy society...no, they're black and white...its individuals like the vitriol cretin above that has done MORE to destroy the social fabric of our country...
hoosier transplant

Harwood Heights, IL

#135 Jul 25, 2009
Mark wrote:
They may have had the choice and the money to make this work for their cat, but what about the donor cat? I think we'd feel different about this if the story were about a child. Also, the story does not mention what happened to the donor cat (and it does not get to be in the nice PR photo). Did the donor cat live?
Did you even read the article? The donor cat was adopted by this family. At least know what you're commenting about.
That guy

Schaumburg, IL

#136 Jul 25, 2009
Idiots. If there's any justice in the world, the $14K cat will get run over by a truck.
That guy

Schaumburg, IL

#137 Jul 25, 2009
minder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pets are not disposable.
Maybe not, but they're certainly replaceable.

Chicago, IL

#138 Jul 25, 2009
What an ironic time for this article to be written. I just spent $1100 on my dog this week to save his life. My dog was born with a hepatic liver shunt that wasn't diagnosed until he was 3 yrs old (and that cost $1000 to find out) but he recently had seizures at 5 1/2 yrs old. With a lot of soul searching and questioning of multiple vets, I chose to have him initially treated for the seizures. He will now be on anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life, but that cost is actually pretty small. He's worth it and I would do it all over again. You just can't criticize someone for wanting to save something they love and value. It's a very personal choice.

Chicago, IL

#139 Jul 25, 2009
krebs wrote:
I have a cat. I started out hating him, but now I like him. He got sick and I blew a couple hundred bucks. But that's it. Last time I went to the vet she told me the cat had a heart murmur. So what, like I'm supposed pay for a heart transplant. Are you nuts?! I love Fritz, but he is just a cat, and cats die. It's part of nature.
Only the strong, and well insured, survive.
A heart murmur isn't always serious. Fritz can live a nice long life murmuring away.

Chicago, IL

#140 Jul 25, 2009
One other thing...I would never spend 14k to save my pet. Even I know when to choose the right thing for the situtation. I don't believe in putting animals through painful procedures and my dog has luckily never been through any major procedures, minus some imaging and blood work. And seizures are not painful.

Casselberry, FL

#141 Jul 25, 2009
OMG, I love my pets, however, no way could I come up with the big bucks these folks did in order to prolong my pets life if they had a serious illness. Painful as it is to part with a pet, there are cases whereby mercy should prevail.

Silver Spring, MD

#142 Jul 25, 2009
Dr. Ujiki doesn't know where pet owners get the idea that vets try to push unnecessary costly procedures?*SNORT*

Possibly because some vets--like the ones at Family Pet Animal Hospital, where Dr. Ujiki works, and where I took the shelter cat I adopted last year--try to push unnecessary procedures for pets that are in perfect health.

Family Pet tried to get me to spend hundreds on some extensive tests--simply because my cat was officially a "senior" pet. No signs of illness, but just because. Why would I do that? Why would I put my cat through that? Why would I agree to tests that are not mentioned in any published literature from any recognized veterinary care source? And why would I waste my money on unnecessary tests for a healthy pet when I might need that money later if my cat really does get sick.

Even without the pushy treatment, vets get a bad rap when they try to blend retail services with their professional ones. When I go to my physician, they don't sell cosmetics or books or games or food in the waiting area. Why do vets? If they would stick to the professional services arena, their customers wouldn't get suspicious that their motives are biased.

Evanston, IL

#143 Jul 25, 2009
That guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not, but they're certainly replaceable.
as are YOU!

Chicago, IL

#144 Jul 25, 2009
ChiBlue wrote:
Bottom line: Their cat, their money, their choice.
I don't think you get it, ChiBlue -- people are jealous that this couple has the money to consider what some people consider a wasteful outlay of money. Nowadays, everyone seems to think that they DESERVE everything, regardless of how long they have spent in school and how hard they work for their money.

Chicago, IL

#145 Jul 25, 2009
Add Sun Chorella to your pets diet....they will live longer...and if you eat it?...same result...

now let's see if this post works...

United States

#146 Jul 25, 2009
Surprised more people are not questioning the costs of these procedures.
14,000 for a kidney transplant.
How do they justify the cost?
All people end up doing is buying insurance.
But insurance,as we have seen in the human doctor world, is a temporary solution to a larger problem:
The whole medical and Vet industries cost too much.
I'd like to know in detail why it costs 14,000.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 56 min Red_Forman 6,596
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Nostrilis Waxman 1,292,181
Ask Amy 10-6-15 3 hr Kuuipo 6
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Dr Guru 198,499
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr groidsmashet 71,961
Jalen goodman 6 hr Lolli 1
News 16 shot citywide since Friday 6 hr Joey 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr Michael Satterfield 100,865
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages