Chicago parking: Mayor Richard Daley calls machine meltdown a '...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Mayor Richard Daley on Thursday blamed a "computer glitch" for a downtown parking pay-box meltdown.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of73
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mike

Round Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Void the contract, raise the meter rates to 1/2 of what they are now and keep the cash cow. People will think you're a hero and forget just how much you screwed this up.
Doris M

Burlington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

They ought to never let PRIVATE industry have a role in a PUBLIC matter. Parking is the role of the city, not something to sub-contract out. Privatization usually leads to crappy service.
Pearl

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

muwaaahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah - my computer ate my dog, err..... homework.
Mark Z

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Let's see... Sounds like the achilles' heel of the downtown pay & display machines is that they're wireless...

Since Morgan Stanley/LAZ is not a government entity, they have access to the same frequencies you & I have access to. My guess is that someone interfered with their 802.11n network downtown, so the machines had no clue what to do. Or better yet, a disgruntled somebody decided to reprogram the boxes because they knew the encryption keys and/or passwords...

Which begs the question--just how inept is MS/LAZ? If all it takes is for someone to interfere with 802.11n frequencies to bring down downtown's pay & display machines, then we'll be seeing MUCH more of this--and probably some HOW-TO documents posted online... Tracing the patriots (err, I mean "perpetrators") will be impossible without the FCC getting involved, especially if this goes viral...
smarter than a brick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

My dream is that he blames losing his mayoral election on some computers as well.
SickofIdiots

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

smarter than a brick wrote:
My dream is that he blames losing his mayoral election on some computers as well.
That's for Stroger in February.
TKO

Elmhurst, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Forget the technical idiosyncrasies and their shortcomings. Those can be addressed.

The larger issue is that Daley got $1.15 billion (yes, with a b) to lease parking meter rights for 75 years. That’s correct. 75 years of parking meter rights.

Seems crazy to you and me, but Daley can easily rationalize it.

Don’t believe me? Here’s a quote.
“"Let's be realistic, everybody's frustrated about what took place yesterday, the glitch that took place," Daley said.

He added that he isn't considering terminating the contract because it would blow a hole in the budget.
So King Richie has met the devil at the crossroads, and sold his soul (and your city) for the rights to place a defective meter there.

This would be amusing if it were not unprecedented. How many other “public” assets, such as Midway, does Daley need to sell or lease in order to betray any semblance of longer term fiduciary responsibility?

Probably just enough assets to win the Olympics and a bronze statue in front of city hall.
If he succeeds the Olympics will come and go. His statue, however, will appropriately be voted upon early, often and daily (no pun intended) by pigeons.
Rich tax fine fee Daley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

TKO wrote:
Forget the technical idiosyncrasies and their shortcomings. Those can be addressed.
The larger issue is that Daley got $1.15 billion (yes, with a b) to lease parking meter rights for 75 years. That’s correct. 75 years of parking meter rights.
Seems crazy to you and me, but Daley can easily rationalize it.
Don’t believe me? Here’s a quote.
“"Let's be realistic, everybody's frustrated about what took place yesterday, the glitch that took place," Daley said.
He added that he isn't considering terminating the contract because it would blow a hole in the budget.
So King Richie has met the devil at the crossroads, and sold his soul (and your city) for the rights to place a defective meter there.
This would be amusing if it were not unprecedented. How many other “public” assets, such as Midway, does Daley need to sell or lease in order to betray any semblance of longer term fiduciary responsibility?
Probably just enough assets to win the Olympics and a bronze statue in front of city hall.
If he succeeds the Olympics will come and go. His statue, however, will appropriately be voted upon early, often and daily (no pun intended) by pigeons.
AWESOME...when I die I hope I'm a pigeon and give him my Daily thanks for making this a c r a p a s s city that used to be a great city.
llll

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Of course it was computers. But until Terminator Salvation day, they won't be running our lives. So that means a person was behind this mess and that person needs to get the heck out!(His name is Daley!)
jfr

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

You got a clown in the white house, a liar in the senate and you worry about a parking meter!! No wonder we got problems.
ejhickey

Berwyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Mark Z wrote:
Let's see... Sounds like the achilles' heel of the downtown pay & display machines is that they're wireless...
Since Morgan Stanley/LAZ is not a government entity, they have access to the same frequencies you & I have access to. My guess is that someone interfered with their 802.11n network downtown, so the machines had no clue what to do. Or better yet, a disgruntled somebody decided to reprogram the boxes because they knew the encryption keys and/or passwords...
Which begs the question--just how inept is MS/LAZ? If all it takes is for someone to interfere with 802.11n frequencies to bring down downtown's pay & display machines, then we'll be seeing MUCH more of this--and probably some HOW-TO documents posted online... Tracing the patriots (err, I mean "perpetrators") will be impossible without the FCC getting involved, especially if this goes viral...
Good analysis. I suspected sabotage but not quite like this. I wonder what a a very strong hand held magnet would do to one of these boxes?
Dan

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

We don't want to hear any excuses from KING DALEY. The meters belong to public and the contract should be terminated now! THis meter sell out was the worst idea of kING daley and his aldermen stooges.
They voted to sell the meters out so they can rip us off more of our money. I don't mind reasonable increase in taxes and stuffs as I am a democrat but this public meter sell out is something I can never forget and really pisses me off!
When the election comes, we must make sure we vote them out of office.
All the aldermens who voted to sell the meters should be voted out.
King Daley must go!!!!!!!!!
LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

I was just curious if anyone has tried the old crazy glue and cardboard trick on a pay box yet
Louis G Atsaves

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Avis Lavelle? Who are the other Daley insiders involved with this mess?

In Chicago, this insider stuff just never stops!
Joe

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Daley's buddies didn't make so much on Wednesday.
Otto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Doris M wrote:
Parking is the role of the city, not something to sub-contract out.
Why? Seriously, aside from the poor terms of the lease at hand, why in general should the city subsidize below-market-rate street parking?
LBA

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Failure to meet the contractual obligations is the best reason I can think of to terminate a contract. If the meters are that valuable then another competent company can be found. Otherwise, the streets should be free of these public nuisances.
(including alderman, and mayors)
Otto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

LBA wrote:
Failure to meet the contractual obligations is the best reason I can think of to terminate a contract.
That's a bit circular, no? I don't know how thoroughly or weirdly the City auto-indemnifies, but it seems as though asserting misrepresentation might be the path to be beaten.
figures

Montgomery, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

of course daley is not at fault.did we really think he would take the blame for anything. he is just as bad as that scumbag blagovich or george ryan. Daley is why this city is in debt. He has no control over anything not even his breathing, lobbist tell him when he can breath.

“ChicagoSporting. com”

Since: Dec 08

Sandwich

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

PEOPLE!!!! DON'T YOU SEE!!!! IF THE METERS ARE BROKEN, THE CITY WRITES TICKETS AND PLACES THEM ON YOUR CAR!!!

THEY DON'T CARE!!!!

The city doesn't have to fix the meters, touch them or do anything but write you more tickets! They don't care!

NOW, they'll only care if they don't get re-elected!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of73
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]