Luther South Staff Works To Remain Open

Jul 28, 2008 Full story: Southwest News-Herald 19

The fate of Luther High School South will be decided next Wednesday when church delegates determine whether the co-ed school at 3130 W. 87th St.

Full Story
ace

AOL

#1 Jul 31, 2008
1st off i assure you i don't mean to offend anyone here as i'm not racist.back in the day when the area was majority white and very safe may i add kids would go to luther south from suburban burbank and evergreen park though those high schools(reavis and evergreen park) were good.they got the non-catholic kids that st.laurence,rice,rita did not get because the lutheran kids had luther south.kids from the bogan area which also back then was majority white and very safe sent their kids to lshs as a second choice and a great one.now the area is almost all black and very crime ridden.nearby wrightwood little league where i once played ball against is in rough shape something it was not in the 70's and 80's.lshs in a football game i went to had it's football press box was riddled with bullet holes.the other part of the stands was i horrible condition.they had planks covering a massive hole you had to walk across to get into the stands which were half broken.the once used tennis courts were full of weeds and in disrepair due to lack of use.when the area got bad people white or black quit sending their kids there and no matter how much better a private school education may be if you're from all white and mostly white burbank or evergreen park among others then why would you send your child to a good school though it is in a crime ridden area.at wrightwood little league last year in broad daylight a gang of punks grabbed a woman's purse and fled with it.yea i want to send my kid to school there.hell you had black ppl walk in to st.laurence in all white burbank and rob the lunch people.they could easily do that in luther south.i love luther south but the area is just not what it was and as a result luther south has suffered.
Kay

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 31, 2008
ace wrote:
1st off i assure you i don't mean to offend anyone here as i'm not racist.back in the day when the area was majority white and very safe may i add kids would go to luther south from suburban burbank and evergreen park though those high schools(reavis and evergreen park) were good.they got the non-catholic kids that st.laurence,rice,rita did not get because the lutheran kids had luther south.kids from the bogan area which also back then was majority white and very safe sent their kids to lshs as a second choice and a great one.now the area is almost all black and very crime ridden.nearby wrightwood little league where i once played ball against is in rough shape something it was not in the 70's and 80's.lshs in a football game i went to had it's football press box was riddled with bullet holes.the other part of the stands was i horrible condition.they had planks covering a massive hole you had to walk across to get into the stands which were half broken.the once used tennis courts were full of weeds and in disrepair due to lack of use.when the area got bad people white or black quit sending their kids there and no matter how much better a private school education may be if you're from all white and mostly white burbank or evergreen park among others then why would you send your child to a good school though it is in a crime ridden area.at wrightwood little league last year in broad daylight a gang of punks grabbed a woman's purse and fled with it.yea i want to send my kid to school there.hell you had black ppl walk in to st.laurence in all white burbank and rob the lunch people.they could easily do that in luther south.i love luther south but the area is just not what it was and as a result luther south has suffered.
If you have to preface your comments with "I'm not racist but"...then you probably are. Along with uninformed from reading the rest of your post. Luther South does not have the crime statistics that other public schools have. I'm a late 90's graduate and we had no metal detectors, students didn't bring guns, I can count the number of fights we had all 4 yeas on hand. It is a well disciplined school.

The area isn't that bad. There are no bulletholes anywhere on school grounds. Even if the area was bad, your child is in school under a roof for 6 1/2 hours. After school, all they have to do is go home. The chances of something happening from the school door to bus door or car are very slim.

Luther South didn't get too crime ridden, it just got too black for you and other white people. We all know how much the majority hates being in the minority.
ace hole

Lake Zurich, IL

#3 Jul 31, 2008
Using your own example, St. Laurence should close also. The lunch room was robbed. How could people send their kids there? Also, Lincolnway Central isn't safe either. There was a shooting in the parking lot. Their press box and bleachers were spray painted with wanna be gang graffiti. Looks like its home schooling for you.
Still Great

Chicago, IL

#4 Aug 1, 2008
Luther South is still a great school. I'm a graduate of Luther South, Class of 2003. I still attend school events and there are no bullet holes! Ashburn is a nice racially mixed neighborhood: 43% African American, 36% White and 16% Hispanic.

Luther South has to be one of the safest schools in the city of Chicago. Even at a time where children are killing children.
Countdown to January 20

Frankfort, IL

#5 Aug 1, 2008
I wouldn't send my child to Luther South because of the grammar that comes out of there. Just look at the original poster!
You need Help

Griffith, IN

#6 Aug 1, 2008
ace wrote:
You are one sick individual MB. You need help. Now you start another post on another school. Nice job on the grammer.
ahem

Elgin, IL

#7 Aug 1, 2008
You need Help wrote:
<quoted text>You are one sick individual MB. You need help. Now you start another post on another school. Nice job on the grammer.
That's "grammar."
jokey777

AOL

#8 Aug 1, 2008
I know the area has changed.There is good and bad in all areas and with all races.I live near Lincoln Way and everybody waits for something to happen there so as to throw it up.My neighbor went to South and he is proud of it but sad it has changed.As for your comments Kay well they remind me of how your black KKK Sharpton and Jackson can rip whites(Duke Lacrosse just one example) and get away with it but one small comment made by whites towards blacks and all hell breaks loose.
Hilarious

Chicago, IL

#9 Aug 1, 2008
jokey777 wrote:
I know the area has changed.There is good and bad in all areas and with all races.I live near Lincoln Way and everybody waits for something to happen there so as to throw it up.My neighbor went to South and he is proud of it but sad it has changed.As for your comments Kay well they remind me of how your black KKK Sharpton and Jackson can rip whites(Duke Lacrosse just one example) and get away with it but one small comment made by whites towards blacks and all hell breaks loose.
Your neighbors experiences are not your own. You're only mentioning him to validate your own uninformed ideas.

Black KKK? Amusing since no black hate organizations exist. Are you really rallying behind who has the right to be racist? But wait, you said you weren't in your first post.

Your "small" comment was offensive and I felt compelled to respond. You knew it was as well, given your false "I'm not a racist but.." disclaimer. Perhaps you shouldn't post if you don't like the responses you get.

"Kay"~Luther South Class of 1999
Cheryl

Orland Park, IL

#10 Aug 4, 2008
Many people may not realize this, but this vote effectively took the faculty/staff of Luther South and "threw them under the bus." The facts:
The Board/Administration of Luther South had a responsibility to pay the amounts promised to faculty/staff members for their benefits package. These were not paid and Luther South fell FAR behind in paying what was owed to Concordia Plans, the organization that administers our benefits.
The faculty/staff members received letters this spring informing them that Luther South had been terminated from Concordia Plans due to non-payment of these premiums. This was most certainly not the first communication we'd received from Concordia Plans -- termination had been threatened before and our benefits were always saved at the 11th hour. However, this last letter was not a threat. It showed that Concordia Plans was done with Luther South. I guess they grew weary of never getting the money owed to them and having the overdue amount simply grow larger and larger.
The letter from Concordia Plans informed the faculty/staff that their benefits were being terminated retroactive to 11/1/07 - seven months prior to our receiving this letter.
A rep from Concordia Plans met with faculty/staff members and informed us that Concordia Plans will now come after each of us individually for repayment of claims paid out on our behalf since 11/1/07. You saw teachers on the news expressing fear and dismay after the vote to stay open was cast? This is why. One teacher had a baby during this time, between 11/1/07 and 6/1/08. Another has a husband on her insurance who went through cancer treatments. Another has an infant who had a number of visits to the doctor to get the shots that babies need. Others have other types of health issues. Now these people are going to have to pay back all that money -- tens of thousands for some. These are dedicated Christian educators who have worked for low salaries because of their desire to serve the Lord through Lutheran education. They trusted the school's administration and board to give the compensation promised to them and this promise was not kept.
There were two organizations -- Chicagoland Lutheran Education Foundation (CLEF) and Lutheran World Relief -- who put aside money that they said they would use to take care of the insurance issue for the faculty/staff if the school closed. It's their position that if the delegates voted to keep the school open, they must have the funds to pay this back debt and save their faculty/staff from this horrendous situation. Their position makes sense to me. CLEF has given money to Luther South many times in the past, as have other organizations, like the Lutheran Church Extension Fund. Oftentimes, the money given is a loan, not a gift. Luther South has a terrible reputation in regard to paying their bills, including the money owed to these organizations. Why would they give the school another loan for the insurance premiums when the school hasn't paid back other loans that are now overdue? Would you keep giving loans to someone who never paid you back? These organizations have a responsibility to all the other educational programs they support; they can't keep throwing good money after bad at Luther South, especially given the record of financial irresponsibility and mismanagement that is so obvious.
Bottom line? No one is paying the back insurance premiums. And when faculty/staff members get new jobs (and many are looing!), the group insurance plan at their new job can exclude them and members of their families for pre-existing conditions since we've technically been uninsured for so many months (remember, the termination is retroactive to 11/1/07).
So those of you who are rejoicing at the vote to keep the school open -- please recognize that your joy comes at the expense of the people who have served Luther South for years. The dedicated faculty/staff members are the ones being sacrificed.
Sheila

Orland Park, IL

#11 Aug 4, 2008
Relative to the above comments made by Cheryl, at the meeting the other night where the delegates voted to keep the school open after the Board voted to close it, one teacher stepped to the microphone and stated that she was afraid of losing her house due to the insurance claims that have to be repaid by the teachers. Mr. Rainey stalled for a moment and then replied, "I may lose my house, too." This comment (and others he made as well) struck me as extremely arrogant, egocentric and self-centered. After all, this was not about HIM - it was about the students and the faculty/staff of the school. As far as his issue of possibly losing his house, too is concerned, it seems to me that when the captain of the ship blows a hole in the hull of that ship, he has no right to complain when he ends up in the water with the rest of the crew.

Present Day: Mr. Rainey and most of his Board are now ready to open the school -- a school which has had mold growing on the floor of the hall for months; rodent droppings everywhere including the cafeteria; and a second floor ceiling that leaks and disintegrates onto the computers. Toilet paper is a luxury in the recent past. Various office equipment such as copiers and the postage machine are not functioning due to overdue bills to the companies. Parents, did you know these details? Did you realize that nothing is being done by the Luther South administration to protect the teachers? Tell me, what would be their incentive to return? Would you want to spend $7K to send your child to a school experiencing these problems?
beejay

Franklin Park, IL

#12 Aug 6, 2008
The dedicated teachers of Luther South truly are victims, but they are not the only victims. As Sheila has said, conditions at the school could be very injurious to the health of the students and teachers, and the ability of the school to remain open (even if it really does open)is highly questionable. This puts the students in the position of perhaps transferring mid-term to another school and scrambling to be sure they are on the same page in their studies. Also, are there enough up-to-date text books and materials for the students, especially for incoming freshmen? What about the basic items for personal hygiene (toilet paper, soap, paper towels and a clean food preparation area)? Lots of questions, but where are the answers? How about the parents? Will you pay your high tuition and still have no assurance that your student will be able to continue at Luther South, or receive the quality education those hard-earned tuition dollars should provide? Don't count on a refund if the school doesn't remain open; look at the experience of the teachers and be forewarned. Yes, lots of victims and lots of questions. Be sure you ask hard questions and get solid answers (not those based on pipe dreams of land to be sold in this economy). Again, ask those questions - if you can find anyone willing to answer them. Good luck! By the way, to those who brought the school to this crisis (you know who you are!): remember the old, but true, cliches. "A man reaps what the sows" and "what goes around comes around".
Still Great

Chicago, IL

#13 Aug 15, 2008
I attended the meeting at Luther South and I heard both sides clearly. I do understand that there would have never been a clear cut ďwinnerĒ after the vote. Yes, the teachers that sacrifice so much is put in a troubling situation. However, I know that if those teachers (especially the ones that remain since my years at South) believe half the things that they teach, than they know that God will take care of everything.

My times at Luther South were filled with both ups and downs that will happen to every high school student but what I learned about faith, not every high school student learns. In this day and age not many high schools teach about our savior Jesus Christ. At the end of the day Luther South is more than just a high school but it is another way to spread the message about God; to spread the word about his protection, love and most of all forgiveness.

Luther South may never ever rank as high academically as Morgan Park Academy, University of Chicago Lab School, or the Latin school. It may never relive itís glory days of sports in the 80ís or being all white in the 50ís but it will always be the school that spreads a positive message and teaches children about Jesus. It is now in the glory days by teaching 99% African-Americans! I donít know who counts that as a negative. So, a few closed minded people donít like the fact that Luther South is in a racially mixed neighborhood where it now teaches mostly African-Americans. This is the time of Barack Obama! Black is not only beautiful but it is also intelligent and possibly our next President.
Sheila

Tinley Park, IL

#14 Dec 21, 2008
I agree 100% with BeeJay! Let's talk again about the mold on the 2nd floor and the roof leaks. These conditions have been around for a very long time and nothing has been done. The "top 2 people" are laughing and singing in the hallways when teachers are still a paycheck behind,(which has been a constant theme), and some may lose their homes because of the school's financial instability! Can you imagine? Health insurance premium issues still remain that were never paid from the 2007 - 2008 school year and pension problems,(Luther South has not been contributing to the teachers' pensions for over a year), STILL have not been resolved? Lies have been told to the Board and the Board believes the administrators with no proof. All the principal does is make promises based upon nothing but his own ego. Let Luther South go .... find a job somewhere else and let us educate our children correctly.
ace777

AOL

#15 Jul 31, 2009
st.laurence was robbed by blacks and lincoln way was spray painted by blacks
Tony G

Chicago, IL

#16 Oct 4, 2012
Used to play away basketball games at Luther South. Definitely a bullet hole in one of the windows as i walked in. Very interesting points being made in this discussion. On the whole, I loved my visits to Luther South and the students were very nice and class acts.
Tony G

Chicago, IL

#17 Oct 4, 2012
also. just a ton of racism going on here. disappointing to see that.
Jasmine

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 20, 2013
This school is horrible. I attended part of the fall 2008 semester and I wasn't challenged educationally, the school had leaks coming from the ceiling, there was no heat at one pont , so they sent us on field trips like everyday, we didnt get served lunch, the the gym teacher looked like a pothead , and for Christ sake the pastor was also the janitor. You would be better off going to your neighborhood school because its not worth the tuition rate. Lastly, while registering for school the office staff wasn't friendly. And if there's been so many money problems why doesn't the person in charge of the funds be questioned or watched to ensure there's no money foundering activity present.? Man screw Luther South !!!!!!!
observer

Roselle, IL

#19 Jul 20, 2013
Jasmine wrote:
This school is horrible. I attended part of the fall 2008 semester and I wasn't challenged educationally, the school had leaks coming from the ceiling, there was no heat at one pont , so they sent us on field trips like everyday, we didnt get served lunch, the the gym teacher looked like a pothead , and for Christ sake the pastor was also the janitor. You would be better off going to your neighborhood school because its not worth the tuition rate. Lastly, while registering for school the office staff wasn't friendly. And if there's been so many money problems why doesn't the person in charge of the funds be questioned or watched to ensure there's no money foundering activity present.? Man screw Luther South !!!!!!!
Yeah,And whats with the teachers wearing depends? They seem to always have runny stool.Whats up with that jasmine? Hah?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min SobieskiSavedEurope 1,155,519
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min J RULES 71,188
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr cheluzal 98,870
Chicago Pizza Blows 2 hr joey 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMare 51,279
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 2 hr IUEC 7,564
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr OzRitz 49,304
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Jacques Ottawa 182,017
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
What Can Bears Do to Get Back into Playoff Hunt?
NBC Sports11:49 AM
Reggie Wayne needs offseason triceps surgery
NBC Sports 1:29 PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:40 PM
Cutler realizes Bears could be in for changes - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:22 PM
Bears re-sign Austen Lane to replace Willie Young