Midway Games, known for Mortal Kombat...

Midway Games, known for Mortal Kombat, files for Chapter 11

There are 35 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Midway Games, known for Mortal Kombat, files for Chapter 11. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Chicago-based video game publisher Midway Games and its U.S. subsidiaries have filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11, the company said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DLA

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure the economy just got a Fatality on Midway Games.

“Thank you, come again!”

Since: Dec 07

Chi Town

#2 Feb 12, 2009
I like how the titles of articles on this site are changed so quickly and frequently. Perhaps nobody cared when it said "Midway Games files for Chapter 11" but when you add "Mortal Kombat" it plucks at everyone's heart strings.
Erdrick

Arlington Heights, IL

#3 Feb 12, 2009
Not good to hear.. but I know a lot of talented people work there so I'm hoping they will be able to continue operations.

Since: Jan 09

Charlotte, NC

#4 Feb 12, 2009
FINISH THEM!!!!!
Harry k Rasman

Lincolnshire, IL

#5 Feb 12, 2009
Boy, I sure do remember when that game came out. I bought that game for my grandchildren as an early Christmas present and they played for 3 months non-stop. If it wasn't for school they wouldn't have seen the light of day.
A major side effect of that game was that it made them and their friends quite rambunctious. I had to repair quite a few holes in the wall, ripped screen doors, broken windows, knocked down paintings, and other various damage to the house after they tried to act out the scenes in the video game.

“Nonpartisan Contempt for All”

Since: Dec 08

Chicago

#6 Feb 12, 2009
Erdrick is right. There are some very talented people working at Midway. Sorry to hear it.
Luckily, there's always employment for Scorpion on a Japanese whaling ship.
Ted G

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 12, 2009
Sub Zero is probably hoping nobody freezes his assets.

Since: Nov 07

Mount Prospect, IL

#8 Feb 12, 2009
Romey Rome wrote:
Perhaps nobody cared when it said "Midway Games files for Chapter 11" but when you add "Mortal Kombat" it plucks at everyone's heart strings.
I don't know about heart strings, but I have seen the lame mortal kombat jokes and references. They did some of the Gauntlet games. That was a fun game for the PS2.
Midway Stinks

Homer Glen, IL

#9 Feb 12, 2009
The economy didn't take a toll on this company. They haven't made a penny in 8 yrs.
Gbin

Brussels, Belgium

#10 Feb 12, 2009
Finish Him ! High kick low kick punch punch uppercut ! FATALITY !
adkiller

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 12, 2009
This company needed to burn to the ground. The ideas were zilch in this company.
Shang Tsung

United States

#12 Feb 12, 2009
FRIENDSHIP!
FRIENDSHIP!
Real List

Robbins, IL

#13 Feb 12, 2009
Anyone down for a game of Tapper?
lago

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 12, 2009
Midway Stinks wrote:
The economy didn't take a toll on this company. They haven't made a penny in 8 yrs.
They started to tank back in the late 90's. They took too long to get out of the coin-op business and switch to more home games.

Also had huge problems meeting deadlines/finishing projects on time.

Yeah, they've been in trouble for over a decade.
Sherry

South Haven, MI

#15 Feb 12, 2009
No big surprise. Who's next, Incestuous Technologies or "You can't even play our games when you are High" Voltage?
Bankrupt Trib

Champaign, IL

#16 Feb 12, 2009
Now Midway Co. and TRIBUNE Co. can share the same bankruptcy lawyers! Yippie!
Tanked

United States

#17 Feb 12, 2009
Hey morons, just keep celebrating the day of one America company after another. It would be long before you don't have a job and then you can hear everybody complain about how you and your worked sucked too.
Dave

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Feb 12, 2009
FINISH HIM!
support a lawyer

Lincolnshire, IL

#19 Feb 12, 2009
Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down
burningrabbit

La Crosse, WI

#20 Feb 12, 2009
Good riddance to a useless past time. Though they deserve a bail-out like any other cork-sackin' co. in America, their product is particularly odious to me. Good artists always have a place in the food chain; look at all the good artist in prison cells. Believe that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min My New Alias RULES 1,432,621
last post wins! (Dec '10) 4 min Concerned_American 2,554
last post wins! (Apr '13) 17 min Concerned_American 1,699
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 44 min CrunchyBacon 103,629
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 56 min Hill4Me 225,355
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 9,539
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 2,070

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages