Comments
61 - 80 of 81 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Apr 26, 2013
 
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had child-free friends offer to babysit, but there is a reason that they don't have children and they are not great with the boys. My friends and I have started trading services.
I think it's weird they'd offer to babysit if they';re not good with kids. Maybe they just want to help and it's an obvious way to do a favor for a friend?

This was fun: I emailed a list of nights/weekends I am free to babysit in May, and Katie was thrilled because they had Twins tickets for one of the Friday nights I had available, and they didn't have anyone lined up to babysit. Her inlaws won't babysit unless the kids (who are WONDERFUL) are already in bed.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Apr 26, 2013
 
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely regional then. Most places around here won't hire somebody under the age of 16 even with a work permit, and those who are going to be good babysitters generally have enough business to keep them wanting them to do that.
My experiences are from the south side of Chicago and the south suburbs during the 1980s.

I also recall that the summer in between 4th and 5th grade, I and my best friend ran a "park camp". Basically, for $2 a kid, we picked up your toddler from your house and took all them to the park for a couple of hours. We usually got between 8-10 kids a day and ran it 3 times a week.

When I was in 6th grade, the Babysitters Club novels were the big thing, and I and a group of friends set up a Babysitters Club-like organization. We did babysitting, dog-walking, and house checks (we would set to check on houses/water plants while people were on vacation). I did that through 6th and 7th,(we had moved to a south suburb just prior to 6th) and then we moved back to the city.

Right after we moved back to the city, just prior to 8th grade, a nearby park had a "help finish building the park" thing. I went over and took all the young kids off their parents' hands while they spread mulch and did landscaping, and from that got my whole set of babysitting clients for the next several years.

I didn't get a work permit when I was 14 because I was making $50-$100/week babysitting and didn't see why. The rest of my sibs did get work permits at age 14, and they mainly worked grocery (non-union).
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Apr 26, 2013
 
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I have friends who won't let anyone watch their kids unless the sitter is at least in college.
What people pay for sitters around here is ridiculous, though. I remember getting $2 per hour per child in CA. Going rate around here starts at $10/hr.
How long ago was that though?

I typically got minimum wage up to a dollar over min wage when I was babysitting as a teen. On that scale $9-$10 seems pretty reasonable.

Heck, I wish I had some young teen around here nowadays who was willing to babysit for about that an hour. The only thing we've got is that the local YMCA runs "parent's night out" occasionally, and it's $30 for 2.5 hours.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Apr 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is why do kids at the ages of 11 and 14 need a sitter at all?
I am late to teh party today, but kids at that age need an adult around every bit as much as a toddler or 7 year old does. Tweens and teens either need to be kept out of trouble or need transport and monitoring for afterscheool activities

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Apr 26, 2013
 
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
My experiences are from the south side of Chicago and the south suburbs during the 1980s.
I also recall that the summer in between 4th and 5th grade, I and my best friend ran a "park camp". Basically, for $2 a kid, we picked up your toddler from your house and took all them to the park for a couple of hours. We usually got between 8-10 kids a day and ran it 3 times a week.
When I was in 6th grade, the Babysitters Club novels were the big thing, and I and a group of friends set up a Babysitters Club-like organization. We did babysitting, dog-walking, and house checks (we would set to check on houses/water plants while people were on vacation). I did that through 6th and 7th,(we had moved to a south suburb just prior to 6th) and then we moved back to the city.
Right after we moved back to the city, just prior to 8th grade, a nearby park had a "help finish building the park" thing. I went over and took all the young kids off their parents' hands while they spread mulch and did landscaping, and from that got my whole set of babysitting clients for the next several years.
I didn't get a work permit when I was 14 because I was making $50-$100/week babysitting and didn't see why. The rest of my sibs did get work permits at age 14, and they mainly worked grocery (non-union).
I did much the same thing on teh north side during teh late 50's early 60's.(That and collecting pop bottles to take back for teh deposit). Somethings didn't change much.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Apr 26, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I am late to teh party today, but kids at that age need an adult around every bit as much as a toddler or 7 year old does. Tweens and teens either need to be kept out of trouble or need transport and monitoring for afterscheool activities
From 3rd grade(8), I was going home after school with a 2nd grader and a fifth grader, walking 16 blocks by ourselves, an staying at home alone till my parents got home and theirs came to get them.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
Apr 26, 2013
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>From 3rd grade(8), I was going home after school with a 2nd grader and a fifth grader, walking 16 blocks by ourselves, an staying at home alone till my parents got home and theirs came to get them.
I was home without mom starting at age 12, brother was nine. I'd have been insulted if my mom thought we needed a babysitter. I was already babysitting young kids myself.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68
Apr 26, 2013
 
pde wrote:
<quoted text>How long ago was that though?

I typically got minimum wage up to a dollar over min wage when I was babysitting as a teen. On that scale $9-$10 seems pretty reasonable.

Heck, I wish I had some young teen around here nowadays who was willing to babysit for about that an hour. The only thing we've got is that the local YMCA runs "parent's night out" occasionally, and it's $30 for 2.5 hours.
Early 90's. I graduated high school in 1994.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69
Apr 26, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I am late to teh party today, but kids at that age need an adult around every bit as much as a toddler or 7 year old does. Tweens and teens either need to be kept out of trouble or need transport and monitoring for afterscheool activities
I am confused, PEllen. You said that you were pretty much on board with what my experience had been as a kid (basically, with 10 and 11 year olds often being responsible for taking care of other kids) but you also said the above.

But, I've also got a 6-year-old who insists that he can come home and be home for 2 hours before the parents get home. He says he will do his homework, his reading, and watch tv. I've told him we will evaluate his ability to keep himself out of trouble when he turns age 8 (so, 3rd grade). Age 8 was when I was trusted to walk myself home the mile from school and be home whether or not my mother was there.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#70
Apr 26, 2013
 
(BTW, PEllen, have you read mysteries/crime novels by Julia Spencer-Fleming? Usually I and my mother don't quite agree on anything but she gave me all her novels recently and told me to read them. They are half-decent mind candy.)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#71
Apr 26, 2013
 
You dont watch tv but you post on an online forum....
Yeah, you are in inspiration allright...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#72
Apr 26, 2013
 
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
I am confused, PEllen. You said that you were pretty much on board with what my experience had been as a kid (basically, with 10 and 11 year olds often being responsible for taking care of other kids) but you also said the above.
But, I've also got a 6-year-old who insists that he can come home and be home for 2 hours before the parents get home. He says he will do his homework, his reading, and watch tv. I've told him we will evaluate his ability to keep himself out of trouble when he turns age 8 (so, 3rd grade). Age 8 was when I was trusted to walk myself home the mile from school and be home whether or not my mother was there.
Both. I agree that 10 and 11 year olds can be left alone, but there came a point when my girls were old enough to get in trouble and it was better to have stuff organized so that they weren't just hanging out unsupervised and with unstructured time on a regular basis.

Where we live, the tendency is to overload the kids with activities which has its downside, but on the other hand, structured activity with grownups in the immediate vicinity forestalled a lot of problems.

Not every kid has the self control to do his homework first and not watch TV or go on line to goof off unless there is someone to nudge them back on track.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#73
Apr 26, 2013
 
pde wrote:
(BTW, PEllen, have you read mysteries/crime novels by Julia Spencer-Fleming? Usually I and my mother don't quite agree on anything but she gave me all her novels recently and told me to read them. They are half-decent mind candy.)
No I have not but I will see if the library has some. Thanks for the recommendation.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74
Apr 26, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
You dont watch tv but you post on an online forum....
Yeah, you are in inspiration allright...
Right. Like "do as I say not as I do" has never ever happened between parents and kids?

Daddy, did you smoke dope in college?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75
Apr 26, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Both. I agree that 10 and 11 year olds can be left alone, but there came a point when my girls were old enough to get in trouble and it was better to have stuff organized so that they weren't just hanging out unsupervised and with unstructured time on a regular basis.
Where we live, the tendency is to overload the kids with activities which has its downside, but on the other hand, structured activity with grownups in the immediate vicinity forestalled a lot of problems.
Not every kid has the self control to do his homework first and not watch TV or go on line to goof off unless there is someone to nudge them back on track.
So what's wrong if they goof off when they get home from school then do homework after mom and dad get home? That's when they are gonna be doing homework anyway if they have a bunch of structured activities instead.

I never had any structured activities until I started sports in HS. Until then, I rode my bike to friends houses, the conveniences store to play video games, the park...

Just got made sure to get home around the time mom and dad were getting home too.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#76
Apr 26, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> Right. Like "do as I say not as I do" has never ever happened between parents and kids?
You think its wise to be openly hypocritical?
PEllen wrote:
Daddy, did you smoke dope in college?
No. Never. And you will never find any evidence to the contrary.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77
Apr 26, 2013
 
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Both. I agree that 10 and 11 year olds can be left alone, but there came a point when my girls were old enough to get in trouble and it was better to have stuff organized so that they weren't just hanging out unsupervised and with unstructured time on a regular basis.
You can view it as the 10 and 11 year olds who have responsibility for younger children DO have stuff organized and structured for them: there is the expectation that they are in charge of the children they are watching. Looking back, my afterschool time wasn't free or unstructured time, it was the time to make sure my sibs got snacks, got homework done, and got chores done.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#78
Apr 27, 2013
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
You think its wise to be openly hypocritical?
<quoted text>
No. Never. And you will never find any evidence to the contrary.
It may be splitting hairs, but you could also spin it that I made mistakes and I want you to learn from them.

FWIW Husband and I made a concerted effort to model good behavior not just preach it. Neither of us are goodie-two-shoes by a long shot.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#79
Apr 27, 2013
 
Race, I fail to see any connection.
Posting on topix is but only one of my many creative outlets.
If you enjoy watching commercialization which insults your intelligence, then TV is for you.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#80
Apr 27, 2013
 
So ALL tv is bad? Not a single redeeming program has ever aired? Well I guess you should know because you are also the voice of knowledge about music too, and art.
You live in such a black and white world. If you dont like a piece of art, then its not art at all, it's junk. Hear a composition you dont like? It's not music, it's crap.
And I think that any idiot who would stop watching television on your say so needs professional help.
loose cannon wrote:
Race, I fail to see any connection.
Posting on topix is but only one of my many creative outlets.
If you enjoy watching commercialization which insults your intelligence, then TV is for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

56 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,083,092
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min scirocco 68,434
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min prince calyobamawaby 48,990
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 30 min newpoly 1,867
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min wojar 175,072
'African' stowaway's body found on US military ... 34 min Daily Mail 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 36 min nono 3,842
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr edogxxx 97,574
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••