“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#1 Jun 23, 2014
DEAR ABBY: I fell in love with a boy when I was 12, deeply in love. We met at our county fair. We grew up together and have remained friends for 30 years. He married and had children, as did I. I am now divorced, but he's still married.

Recently our friendship has grown into something more. He wants our relationship to continue, but he's afraid to leave his wife because of the kids. They have been together for 20 years.

What do I do? He's the love of my life. Any time I have with him is better than none. It's not that I don't know I deserve better, but he is unhappy, and I am miserable without him. What do I do?-- PRISONER OF PASSION IN VIRGINIA

DEAR PRISONER: What you do depends upon your strength of character and what you want out of life. If you want to spend the foreseeable future as this man's "side dish," then continue as you have been, a "prisoner of passion" with not much common sense. If you would like to have a stable life and find a man who will make you No. 1 in his life, then you will have to call a halt to this affair and go through a period of withdrawal -- the same as people have to do with any addiction. It may not be pleasant, but I recommend it.

DEAR ABBY: I'm turning 75 soon, and enjoying retirement, good health and a comfortable lifestyle, which is why I have arranged a "Celebration of My Life -- So Far." I'm excited about it and eagerly anticipating more than 60 guests for cocktails and a sit-down dinner at a nearby hotel.

It's not uncommon these days for a celebration of life to be held after someone dies. However, I prefer to have mine BEFORE I leave this Earth so I can celebrate along with my loved ones. I want to be there, especially since I'm the one who's paying for it!

What do you think of my idea? Would you enjoy partaking in such a special event?-- THINKING AHEAD IN NEW JERSEY

DEAR THINKING AHEAD: I think it's a terrific idea. And yes, I would enjoy celebrating such a special event, if I were invited. When is this party? I'll be standing by my mailbox!

DEAR ABBY: Why is it socially acceptable to refer to a grown woman as a "girl," and yet it would never be appropriate to call a man a "boy"?-- BARBARA IN HUNTSVILLE, ALA.

DEAR BARBARA: I'm not sure whether all women would accept being called a "girl." In fact, some would find it condescending and offensive. If you call a man a "boy," he could regard it as an assault on his masculinity.

And yet, I have heard those terms used in the third person, as in, "What's my husband doing on Saturday? He'll be out playing golf with the boys, while I'll be going to lunch with the girls." And I have never heard that it was offensive to either sex.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#2 Jun 23, 2014
1 Nice way to handle her whorrring with kid gloves. No mention of how she is ruining a marriage, or the damage to the kids. In fact not even a judgmental smirk.

2 It's your party, personally I celebrate every morning I dont wake up dead.

3 Oh, honey! Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Jun 23, 2014
Lw2: most nirmal folk eould just have a big 75th birthday party.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#4 Jun 23, 2014
Obviously their not nirmal.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Lw2: most nirmal folk eould just have a big 75th birthday party.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#5 Jun 23, 2014
L2. I don't know. It seems a shade macabre to me. A portent of the inevitable. I would use a different pretext.
I'm not trying to dampen your spirits.....
copyrights not copypastes

Wilkes Barre, PA

#6 Jun 23, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
DEAR ABBY: I fell in love with a boy when I was 12, deeply in love. We met at our county fair. We grew up together and have remained friends for 30 years. He married and had children, as did I. I am now divorced, but he's still married.
Recently our friendship has grown into something more. He wants our relationship to continue, but he's afraid to leave his wife because of the kids. They have been together for 20 years.
What do I do? He's the love of my life. Any time I have with him is better than none. It's not that I don't know I deserve better, but he is unhappy, and I am miserable without him. What do I do?-- PRISONER OF PASSION IN VIRGINIA
DEAR PRISONER: What you do depends upon your strength of character and what you want out of life. If you want to spend the foreseeable future as this man's "side dish," then continue as you have been, a "prisoner of passion" with not much common sense. If you would like to have a stable life and find a man who will make you No. 1 in his life, then you will have to call a halt to this affair and go through a period of withdrawal -- the same as people have to do with any addiction. It may not be pleasant, but I recommend it.
DEAR ABBY: I'm turning 75 soon, and enjoying retirement, good health and a comfortable lifestyle, which is why I have arranged a "Celebration of My Life -- So Far." I'm excited about it and eagerly anticipating more than 60 guests for cocktails and a sit-down dinner at a nearby hotel.
It's not uncommon these days for a celebration of life to be held after someone dies. However, I prefer to have mine BEFORE I leave this Earth so I can celebrate along with my loved ones. I want to be there, especially since I'm the one who's paying for it!
What do you think of my idea? Would you enjoy partaking in such a special event?-- THINKING AHEAD IN NEW JERSEY
DEAR THINKING AHEAD: I think it's a terrific idea. And yes, I would enjoy celebrating such a special event, if I were invited. When is this party? I'll be standing by my mailbox!
DEAR ABBY: Why is it socially acceptable to refer to a grown woman as a "girl," and yet it would never be appropriate to call a man a "boy"?-- BARBARA IN HUNTSVILLE, ALA.
DEAR BARBARA: I'm not sure whether all women would accept being called a "girl." In fact, some would find it condescending and offensive. If you call a man a "boy," he could regard it as an assault on his masculinity.
And yet, I have heard those terms used in the third person, as in, "What's my husband doing on Saturday? He'll be out playing golf with the boys, while I'll be going to lunch with the girls." And I have never heard that it was offensive to either sex.
You are going to get sued along with topix.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#7 Jun 23, 2014
RACE wrote:
Obviously their not nirmal.
<quoted text>
Haha!

But I agree... just call it a birthday party. 75 is a good number for which to throw a big bash.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#8 Jun 23, 2014
1- grow up, what are you, in your forties? Couldn't pack this much sap into a friggen... maple tree

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#9 Jun 23, 2014
copyrights not copypastes wrote:
<quoted text> You are going to get sued along with topix.
I'm a disembodied anonymous inet poster. I'm like a ninja. I'm a leaf on the wind

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 23, 2014
copyrights not copypastes wrote:
<quoted text> You are going to get sued along with topix.
Nope.

No different than cutting it out of the newspaper and tacking it to the breakroom bulletin board for discussion over coffee.

But thanks for stopping by

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#11 Jun 23, 2014
L1 I suppose it depends on what "something more" means although that seems obvious.

Move on. Make a life for yourself.

The weight of the emotional baggage of his broken family will over-weigh any pleasure he has with you..

L2 We were at a 100th birthday party yesterday. I was a little skeeved out because there was a guest book for greetings and memories set up on a table with a collage of photos of Libby's life much like there would be at a wake, if Jewish people had wakes, which we don't.

We have been to a number of significant anniversary and birthday parties of late. It is much better to reminisce with the person than to talk about them after they are dead.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#12 Jun 23, 2014
PEllen wrote:
L2 We were at a 100th birthday party yesterday. I was a little skeeved out because there was a guest book for greetings and memories set up on a table with a collage of photos of Libby's life much like there would be at a wake, if Jewish people had wakes, which we don't.
We have been to a number of significant anniversary and birthday parties of late. It is much better to reminisce with the person than to talk about them after they are dead.
I went to a 70th birthday party for a fabulous local musician and they called it "70 trips around the sun." There were posterboards full of pictures. No guestbook, but a little basket for cards and a gift table. I like the idea of having these celebrations while the person is with us to enjoy the moment.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#13 Jun 23, 2014
PEllen wrote:
L1 I suppose it depends on what "something more" means although that seems obvious.
Move on. Make a life for yourself.
The weight of the emotional baggage of his broken family will over-weigh any pleasure he has with you.
Spot on.

Respect yourself.

Add a side of what Race and edog said.
boundary painter

Waco, TX

#14 Jun 23, 2014
LW1 is giving Virginia a bad name--and breaking their outdated law if
she deceives herself into seducing this man when all she would have to
do is look for an unmarried man who has those traits she likes in this guy.

LW2 is okay

LW3 is a little silly but not that funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,643,740
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr ThanksForTheLaugh... 64,156
Live From "Earth II"....? 1 hr Kill Devil Agrees 7
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr honeymylove 2,656
last post wins! (Dec '10) 3 hr honeymylove 3,220
Biden Shows His Crazy Side 6 hr Kill Devil 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr Rose of Tralee 105,333

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages