From the shadows, Anonymous battles Scientology

With their dark suits, leering masks and signs warning of what they call the "cult" of Scientology, the protest group Anonymous may startle a few visitors to Millennium Park on Saturday. Full Story
Christopher Mudkips

Jackson, MO

#229 Jul 25, 2008
plutherg wrote:
Scientology only hurts the gullible so ultimately... Who Cares?
Don't these people have anything better to do?
We do.

You are the apathy killing this world.

SHOW ME YOUR JUSTICE!

“Proud SP since 2003”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#230 Jul 25, 2008
Booker J wrote:
I say anonymous are cowards. Guys like MLK and Ghandi showed the way.
These posts show its not the same class of person, not even close.
The truth is obvious to all that see.
You got that right.$cientology= destructive cult. Obvious for all to see.
AnonymousNow

New York, NY

#231 Jul 25, 2008
Odd that they did not mention the national anonymous protest in Washington DC last Saturday. They also did not mention any of the past crimes of the COS, basically whitewashing its criminal history.

Join Anonymous in NYC for a protest with famous counter COS attorney Graham Berry-- July 29th at 5:30pm, meet at Bryant park, check epicanon com for details.
Tommy Davis

United States

#232 Jul 25, 2008
plutherg wrote:
Pardon me for getting into this discussion this late and maybe asking the same questions but...
Who are these people? Why should I listen to a group who wears masks? Especially a mask of a world famous anarchist! What is their ulterior motive, what's in it for them?
Scientology only hurts the gullible so ultimately... Who Cares?
Don't these people have anything better to do?
Same argument could be made for any cause "Why save the whales, they're just whales?" "Why energy conservation?" "Why this and why that?"

They do it because they see a problem and are fixing it. Therefore are not part of the problem but a solution.

Can't knock someone for standing up for what they think is right.

“Proud SP since 2003”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#233 Jul 25, 2008
plutherg wrote:
Pardon me for getting into this discussion this late and maybe asking the same questions but...
Who are these people? Why should I listen to a group who wears masks? Especially a mask of a world famous anarchist! What is their ulterior motive, what's in it for them?
Scientology only hurts the gullible so ultimately... Who Cares?
Don't these people have anything better to do?
Yeah, you're right. How DARE people speak out against child slave labor, prison camps, deaths caused by the dangerous "tech", bankrupting and destruction of families. The nerve of those protesters.

“Proud SP since 2003”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#234 Jul 25, 2008
Anon420666 wrote:
Stop telling the Scions like Marcus about Xenu!
They haven't gotten that far yet!!
Still owe about $200K to get to that level!!!
Oh, the enturbulation!!
Anonymous

United States

#235 Jul 25, 2008
Anonymous-buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me one instance in my posts where I actually defended Scientology. Scientology is as real as Santa Claus and as ridiculous as every other religion out there. Your logic is more or less "If you're not kissing up to Anon, you're with Scientology", which is totally flawed. Go back to looking at stupid pictures on /b/ and leave activism to the grown-ups.
My independent mind tells me you're a 16 year old who thinks 'lulz' are the justification for anything.
Of course you're not here to defend Scientology, that would discredit your charade as an "independent thinker", you're here to attack Anon, that is your mission here. It's the zeal with which you attack Anon that shows your true colors. You also attempt to convince Anon to organize and become some sort of official enterprise which would be beneficial to the CoS since official organizations are run by traceable people with names in the public record. The CoS would love nothing more than for Anon to become and organized, official, public, group. What has Anon done other than protest a secretive for profit organization (i.e. company) that has somehow manipulated the IRS into giving it tax exempt status while simultaneously destroying lives. Yeah, organize and show our faces, CoS would just LOVE that! As far as being 16 goes, I wish I could be again!
Jeff

New York, NY

#236 Jul 25, 2008
"You know I just HATE it when people protest things anonymously. Wearing masks to protect lives, livelyhood and family is just STUPID"

Man, you are clearly the stupid one-- you have no clue about the COS "fair game" policy of destroying the lives of its critics. That is all over the news, google "operation freakout" for just a small sample of how they destroyed the life of one journalist who dared to talk about them critically. And they don't just destroy people, they kill them to. Gooogle "Lisa McPherson," oh clueless one.

Give then facts, your position is incredibly outrageous and ignorant. You are basicaly asking the protesters to shoot themselves in the head.
Truth

Chagrin Falls, OH

#238 Jul 25, 2008
Anonymous-buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic is more or less "If you're not kissing up to Anon, you're with Scientology", which is totally flawed. Go back to looking at stupid pictures on /b/ and leave activism to the grown-ups.
My independent mind tells me you're a 16 year old who thinks 'lulz' are the justification for anything.
No, it would appear that your argument and disapproval of anonymous is at the very least ad hominem. So by your logic, if the 16 yr. old's motivation is for "lulz," that invalidates their evidence of wrongdoing by the cult. Is that right?

The cult is a dangerous and criminal organization, and no amount of disparaging remarks about the "members" of Anonymous will change those facts.
JeraldR

United States

#239 Jul 25, 2008
Anonymous-buster wrote:
I just looked up "Fair Game" and that is really messed up. Still don't trust Anon though, anyone who says they are doing things 'for the lulz' cannot be trusted, and the media takes them way too seriously.
I don't get your point. Whats wrong with this group having fun while they picket? I'm glad the media takes them seriously. Even if you don't like the group you can't fault the message they are sending out.

And thats the bottom line here. The message is getting out. You just looked up Fair Game yourself because you were reading these posts based on a story about Anonymous.

Like them or not they are not only getting the message out but also teaching the public about the very dark side of scientology.

And that's a good thing.
Tommy Davis

United States

#240 Jul 25, 2008
Anonymous-buster wrote:
I just looked up "Fair Game" and that is really messed up. Still don't trust Anon though, anyone who says they are doing things 'for the lulz' cannot be trusted, and the media takes them way too seriously.
You don't have to trust Anonymous. You can go to the planning centers yourself and look.

No hidden agenda, open to the entire internet to see.

So, if one were to enjoy their job so much they had fun everyday, you wouldn't trust their work? How does that work? I'll tell you, it's an ad hominem attack.

The reasoning isn't important. Some are doing it for very serious reasons (ie They have family in the cult), and some are doing it because it's fun.

I mean, what other protest can you go to and get cake?
Extremely weird

United States

#241 Jul 25, 2008
I guess I have to do some more research but I seem to recall that Hubbard wrote Dianetics as kind of a joke/science fiction but when people latched on to the whole concept, he decided to go with it as a way to make money. It's been a while since I read up on it but I did watch the documentary done by the British journalist and thought it was creepy. The CofS reps stalked the guy and he has the footage to prove it.... And of course the only way to reach a higher level of "awareness" is to pay increaingly larger and larger sums of money....it is such a scam.
Anonymous

United States

#242 Jul 25, 2008
Carl Doering wrote:
I can’t see where Scientology is any more bogus then any other religion. If what I have often heard is true, that Hubbard told a group of friends that he could invent a church and make millions, is true, then this “church” is even less bogus then most since it is doing just what it set out to do, make money.
Actually I didn’t know for some time that L Ron Hubbard had anything to do with religion. I really loved his SF writing, which of course he carries out well in the church.
CD
I suppose the CoS could gain some credibility if like other religions, the random person could walk in off the street and learn everything about the "church", most importantly, for free. To test this statement, this Sunday pick a church and walk in. See if you can pick up the "instruction manual", listen to the preacher/reverend/rabbi/imam, form your own opinion, then walk out,,, FOR FREE. Then, next weekend try the same thing at a Scientology building, see how far you get........
Jeff

New York, NY

#243 Jul 25, 2008
So the other guy's reasoning was "they are weak, they should die." Nope, that they are weak means they need protection.

Curiously, the no sympathy for the weak axiom is directly out of L.Ron Hubbards mouth-- it's actually part of scientology policy. I suspect the COS agents at OSA are in this thread, not revealing their identities, as usual.

“Proud SP since 2003”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#244 Jul 25, 2008
John wrote:
http://sfist.com/2008/07/14/ph otos_anonymous_smutty_scientol ogy.php
Photos Lisa McPherson after being held by $cientologists for 17 days. Which do you find more offensive?

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/lisa_mcpherson/...

$cientology KILLS.

“Fascist,National ist,Socialist”

Since: Jul 08

Everywhere - you can trust me.

#245 Jul 25, 2008
I love America. I'll fix this.
Lex Fortis

Chicago, IL

#246 Jul 25, 2008
Can't say I'm a fan of Scientology, but people who protest behind masks don't have a lot of credibility with me, either.
AnonandOn

New Palestine, IN

#247 Jul 25, 2008
Lex, Anonymous wears masks not because they want to, but because this so called "Church" has a history of harassing its critics. Google "Fair Game Scientology" to see what they really do to critics.

Hence, the masks.
Truth

Chagrin Falls, OH

#248 Jul 25, 2008
Lex Fortis wrote:
Can't say I'm a fan of Scientology, but people who protest behind masks don't have a lot of credibility with me, either.
Very productive comment there Scino-man. Is this the new line that everyone's supposed to use now?

Let's see, a while back you all began by starting your posts with "I'm not a scientologist, but...," and now it's "I'm not a fan of scientology." What a predictable bunch of fools you are. Scientology kills, the organization is corrupt, the RPF (rehabilitation project force) is nothing more than cheap slave labor for the "church," and the illegal tax-exempt status granted by the IRS in violation of a Supreme Court ruling will all be exposed by anonymous - whether you like them or not. Your attempt to persuade opinion by criticizing anonymous is a failure.

“Honorary Squirrel Buster”

Since: Apr 07

Tulsa, OK

#250 Jul 25, 2008
Lex Fortis wrote:
Can't say I'm a fan of Scientology, but people who protest behind masks don't have a lot of credibility with me, either.
The masks are an unfortunate necessity. Scientology has a 'fair game' policy of harrassment against its perceived enemies.

http://www.xenu.net/fairgame-e.html

'SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.'

The BBC did a documentary last year which confirmed that this policy is still followed.

http://video.google.com/videosearch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Who 46,743
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Scrutiny 178,107
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Incognito4Ever 1,110,246
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr andet1987 4,726
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Mister Tonka 98,239
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 1 hr Handcuff ottoman 137
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 49,882
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••